Table of Contents
- What is Doxapram?
- Uses of Doxapram:
- How does Doxapram work?
- How to Take Doxapram?
- Common Dosage for Doxapram:
- When to avoid Doxapram and precautions to take?
- Side effects of Doxapram?
- Effects on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage of Doxapram
- Pro Tips When Taking Doxapram:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Doxapram addictive?
- Can I have Doxapram with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Doxapram when Pregnant?
- Can I have Doxapram when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Doxapram?
- What happens if I overdose on Doxapram?
- What happens if I eat expired Doxapram?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Doxapram?
- Similar Reads
What is Doxapram?
- Doxapram is a respiratory stimulant available in injection form for intravenous administration.
Check out: Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Uses of Doxapram:
- Stimulates respiration in post-anaesthesia patients
- Drug induced respiratory and CNS depression
- Chronic pulmonary disease with acute respiratory insufficiency
Read more: Decolgen Uses
How does Doxapram work?
- Doxapram produces respiratory stimulant effect through peripheral carotid chemoreceptors. This is manifested by increase in tidal volume along with slight increase in respiratory rate.
Also read: Junior Lanzol Composition
How to Take Doxapram?
- Doxapram is administered intravenously after visually inspecting for particulate matter or discolouration before administration.
Common Dosage for Doxapram:
- The recommended dose of Doxapram in post anaesthetic use for IV is 0.5-1mg/kg for a single injection. Maximum recommended dose is 2mg/kg IV.
- Doxapram is not recommended for use in children.
Read more: Asparginase Dosage | Glycerine Dosage
When to avoid Doxapram and precautions to take?
Doxapram should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Patients with epilepsy
- Patients with pulmonary embolism
- Patients with head injury, cerebral vascular accident, coronary artery disease
Know more: Doxolin Precaution | Lactulose Precaution
Side effects of Doxapram?
- Doxapram may produce multiple side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects include:
- Urinary retention
- Chest pain
Effects on organs?
- Patients with cardiac disease should administer Doxapram with caution.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy with Doxapram may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Doxapram. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- MAO inhibitor drugs
Shows Effects / Results In:
- The time required by Doxapram to show its desired effect varies from few seconds to one minute after IV administration.
Storage of Doxapram
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Doxapram:
- Doxapram should not be used in conjugation with mechanical ventilation.
Also read: Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride Price
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Doxapram addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Doxapram with alcohol?
- Interaction of Doxapram with alcohol is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction with food products observed..
Can I have Doxapram when Pregnant?
- Doxapram can be administered in pregnancy only when clearly needed.
Can I have Doxapram when feeding a baby?
- Doxapram should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Doxapram?
- Doxapram does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Doxapram?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose or frequency.
- In cases of over dosage, observe the patient and supportive therapy is administered.
What happens if I eat expired Doxapram?
- The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicines decreases and also it may lead to some adverse effects.
What happens if I miss a dose of Doxapram?
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.