Table of Contents
- What is Doxazosin?
- Uses of Doxazosin
- How does Doxazosin work?
- How to Take Doxazosin?
- Doxazosin 1mg Price In India
- Common Dosage for Doxazosin?
- When to Avoid Doxazosin?
- Side-effects of Doxazosin?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- Is Doxazosin addictive?
- Can I have Doxazosin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Doxazosin when pregnant?
- Can I have Doxazosin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Doxazosin?
- What happens if I overdose on Doxazosin?
- What happens if I take expired Doxazosin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Doxazosin?
- Storage of Doxazosin
- Pro Tips When Taking Doxazosin
What is Doxazosin?
Doxazosin belongs to a group of drugs called “alpha blockers”.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Online | Medlife Online
Uses of Doxazosin
Doxazosin is used for the treatment of high blood pressure and symptoms caused by prostate enlargement in men.
Also Read: Enbrel Uses | Seroquel Uses
How does Doxazosin work?
Doxazosin is an alpha-blocker that causes relaxation of blood vessels (veins and arteries), thereby increasing the blood flow through them. It also causes muscle relaxation in the prostate and neck of the bladder, making it easier to pass urine.
How to Take Doxazosin?
- The dosage and duration of Doxazosin advised is based on your age, physical health, severity of the condition and initial response to therapy.
- Food has no effect on the absorption of Doxazosin. Thus, it can be taken with or without food or as advised.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Doxazosin 1mg Price In India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 12.50|
Also Read: Symbicort Price
Common Dosage for Doxazosin?
- Doxazosin should be administered as advised. Do not take more than the recommended dose or for longer periods.
- Recommended adult dose of Doxazosin is 1mg per day.
- Thereafter the dose may be gradually increased to 2mg or 4mg daily.
When to Avoid Doxazosin?
Doxazosin should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- History of orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when getting up from a sitting or lying position)
- Patients with low blood pressure
- Patients with a history of heart disease
- Eye problems – cataract, glaucoma
- Patients with kidney problems – difficulty in passing urine
- a blockage in the digestive tract (stomach or intestines)
- severe constipation
- liver disease
Side-effects of Doxazosin?
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Swelling of the feet
- Chest cold, coughing
- Nasal stuffiness
- Stomach pain
- Changes in blood pressure
- Heart attack
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased/decreased heartbeats
- Chest pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes – jaundice
- Reduced blood cells count
Effect on organs?
Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Doxazosin with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
Doxazosin can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Doxazosin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- other alpha-blocker drugs (such as prazosin, alfuzosin, tamsulosin)
- sildenafil, tadalafil or other erectile dysfunction medicines
- azole antifungals – ketoconazole, Itraconazole
- macrolide antibiotics – clarithromycin
- HIV protease inhibitor drugs – ritonavir
Using these medicines along with Doxazosin can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Doxazosin is taken along with these drugs.
Is Doxazosin addictive?
Doxazosin is not addictive; however, self-medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Doxazosin with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Doxazosin therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Doxazosin when pregnant?
- Doxazosin should only be taken during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the potential risks as there are no evident and well-controlled studies in pregnant females.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Doxazosin when feeding a baby?
- Doxazosin is excreted in human breast milk and therefore it is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Doxazosin?
- Doxazosin intake is associated with side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased blood pressure.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Doxazosin?
- Overdosage has been reported with Doxazosin. Symptoms of overdosage include drowsiness, dizziness, and fainting.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Doxazosin?
- A single dose of expired Doxazosin may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Doxazosin?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage of Doxazosin
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Doxazosin
- Doxazosin can lead to a rapid fall in your blood pressure, especially when you first start taking the drug.
- You must always inform your doctor that you are taking Doxazosin and scheduled for a cataract surgery.
Also Read: Diflucan