Table of Contents
- What is Doxinate?
- Uses of Doxinate
- How does Doxinate work?
- How to take Doxinate?
- Doxinate Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Doxinate?
- Precautions While Taking Doxinate:
- Side-Effects of Doxinate:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Doxinate Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Doxinate
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Doxinate
- Authored By –
1What is Doxinate?
Doxinate is mainly used to prevent or treat morning sickness and vitamin B6 deficiency. Palpitations and convulsions are the major side effect at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or cardiac impairment and in children below 6 years of age.
Doxinate Composition: Doxylamine Succinate 10mg + Pyridoxine Hydrochloride 10 mg
Manufactured By: Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required but it is also available as OTC
Form: Tablet, syrups, drops and cream.
Price: Rs. 156.55 for 30 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Multivitamin + Antihistamine
2Uses of Doxinate
Doxinate is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Morning Sickness: Used to treat morning sickness
- Nausea: Used to manage and treat nausea.
- Vomiting: Used to prevent or stop vomiting
- Deficiency: Used in cases of vitamin B6 deficiency
- Allergy: Used in cases of allergic disorder
Also Read: Duphaston Uses | Dytor Plus Uses | Dulcoflex Uses
3How does Doxinate work?
- Doxinate contains Doxylamine Succinate and Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
- Doxylamine Succinate is an anti histamine and works by blocking the natural chemical receptor known as Histamines, responsible for causing allergic symptoms.
- Blockage of histamine leads to prevent or treat allergic signs.
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is Vitamin B6 and helps by providing the required amount to the body.
4How to take Doxinate?
- Doxinate is available in the tablet and syrup and drops form
- Doxinate tablet is usually taken via mouth with a glass of water with or without food.
- The tablet should never be chewed or crushed but should be consumed as a whole with plenty of fluids.
- Evenly spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
- Drug should never be stopped abruptly without proper medical consultation.
- The leaflet present in the pack should be read thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Doxinate Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- Common adult dose for pregnant women is single tablet 2-3 times a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
- In case of severe symptoms, 2 tablets can be given together at night.
- Prolonged use without medical consultation is to be avoided
- Doxinate is not recommended for Paediatric populations.
- Dose alteration without consultation should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Doxinate?
Overdose of Doxinate may lead to some serious effects. Strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and in case of overdose the doctor or medical staff should be informed.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Doxinate?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Doxinate?
Expired Doxinate might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Doxinate?
The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
Q. Till when does the effect of Doxinate stays?
Most of the patients experience relief in symptoms within few hours.
Also read about other medicine's Dosage: Drotaverine Dosage | Doxt SL Dosage
6When to Avoid Doxinate?
Do not Consume Doxinate if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of hypersensitivity/allergy to Doxinate or any similar active ingredients
- Children: In children less than 6 years of age.
- Liver/ Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver or kidney impairment
- Cardiac diseases: In cases of patients with cardiac diseases
Also read about other medicine's side effect: ECONORM | Domstal | Domperidone
7Precautions While Taking Doxinate:
- Alcoholics: Doxinate should not be used in alcoholics.
- Prolonged use: Prolonged use is to be avoided
Warnings When Taking Doxinate
- It only provides symptomatic relief. Therefore, further treatment is required in severe conditions.
- Doxinate should be avoided with alcohol or CNS depressant drugs.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
8Side-Effects of Doxinate:
The side effects associated with Doxinate are:
- Drowsiness (less common)
- Vertigo (less common)
- Nervousness (less common)
- Epigastric pain (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Palpitation (less common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Disorientation (less common)
- Irritability (common)
- Convulsions (less common)
- Urinary retention (less common)
- Insomnia (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Doxinate?
- Doxinate is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Doxinate on organs?
- Doxinate should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment.
- Dose modification might be needed in such cases.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Doxinate. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Doxinate. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Doxinate
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Doxinate
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Levadopa (mild)
- Atropine (moderate)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (mild)
- Amiodarone (mild)
- Aspirin (moderate)
3. Effects of Doxinate on Lab Tests
Doxinate does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Doxinate’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases.
Q. Can I have Doxinate with alcohol?
No, alcohol consumption with this drug may lead to increase risk of side effects. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Doxinate.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Doxinate when pregnant?
Yes, Doxinate is safe to be prescribed for pregnant women for treating symptoms like nausea, vomiting etc. The doctor should also be informed about such cases.
Q. Can I have Doxinate when feeding a baby?
No, it is better to avoid Doxinate while breastfeeding a baby as its effect on the infant are not known. Therefore the drug should be used with caution and only if necessary, after consulting with doctor about the case
Q. Can I drive after taking Doxinate?
Doxinate may cause lethargy or sleepiness. Hence, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if any of these symptoms occur.
10Buyer’s Guide – Doxinate Composition, Variant and Price
|Doxinate Variants||Doxinate Composition||Doxinate Price (Rs.)|
|Doxinate Plus Tablet||Doxylamine 10mg + Vitamin B6 (20mg) + Folic Acid 2.5mg||Rs. 157.9 for 30 tablets|
|Doxinate G Tablet||Doxylamine 20mg + Vitamin B6 (20mg)||Rs. 75.9 for 10 tablets|
|Doxinate Forte Tablet||Doxylamine 20mg + Vitamin B6 (20mg) + Folic Acid 5mg||Rs. 84.7 for 10 tablets|
|Doxinate OD Tablet||Doxylamine 20mg + Vitamin B6 (20mg)||Rs. 152.95 for 15 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals | Practo
11Substitutes of Doxinate
The following are alternative drugs for Doxinate:
- Queezy Tablet:
- Manufactured by Jagsonpal
- Price- Rs. 37.5
- Gravinate Tablet:
- Manufactured by Mars India
- Price- Rs. 36.52
- Nosic Tablet:
- Manufactured by Indoco Remedies Ltd
- Price- Rs. 133
Storage requirements for Doxinate
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture free place away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Doxinate
Q. What is Doxinate ?
Ans. Doxinate is a dual constituent drug that contains Doxylamine and Vitamin B6 as its main active ingredient. Doxinate is used predominantly to treat conditions like nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
Q. What are the uses of Doxinate ?
Ans. Doxinate is used predominantly to treat conditions like nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
Q. What are the side effects of Doxinate ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Doxinate are Drowsiness, Vertigo, Nervousness, Epigastric pain, Headache
Q. How effective is Doxinate?
Ans. Most of the patients experience relief in symptoms within few hours.
Q. Should Doxinate be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Doxinate can be taken empty stomach also.
Q. Does Doxinate make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Doxinate may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Doxinate doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Doxinate should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Doxinate.
Q. Does Doxinate effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Doxinate safe for children?
Ans. Doxinate should not be administered in children below 6 years of age without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Doxinate?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Doxinate.
Q. Is Doxinate legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.