Table of Contents
- What is Doxolin?
- Uses of Doxolin
- How does Doxolin work?
- How to take Doxolin?
- Common Dosage for Doxolin
- When to Avoid Doxolin?
- Precautions while Taking Doxolin
- Side-Effects of Doxolin
- Drug Interactions with Doxolin to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Doxolin Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Doxolin
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Doxolin
- Authored By –
1What is Doxolin?
It is used as a bronchodilator agent to treat conditions like Asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and bronchitis. Increased heartbeat and muscle weakness are the common side effect which occurs at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of severe liver, kidney diseases, epilepsy or hypersensitivity to Doxolin.
Doxolin Composition:Doxofylline 200mg.
Manufactured By:ydus Healthcare Ltd.
Form: Tablets and Injection
Price: Rs. 60.00 for 30 Tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months (when stored at cool place)
Type of Drug: Antiasthmatic + Bronchodilator agent.
2Uses of Doxolin
Doxolin is used to prevent or treat various conditions like
- Asthma: Used to prevent or treat asthma attacks by dilating the bronchioles.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): Used to treat cases of patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Bronchitis: Used in cases of patients with Bronchitis.
- Chest tightness: Used to treat patients with chest tightness or difficulty in breathing.
3How does Doxolin work?
- Doxolin contains Doxofylline as its main active ingredient.
- Doxolin belongs to the class of bronchodilators and works by relaxing the smooth muscles of lungs and also dilates the bronchioles.
- It helps to relax the smooth muscles by blocking certain enzymes responsible for the muscle contraction in the airway and facilitates easier breathing.
Know more: Famotin Uses
4How to take Doxolin?
- Doxolin is available in the form of Tablets and Injections.
- Doxolin tablets can be taken orally with a glass of water.
- Tablets should never be crushed or chewed, but should be swallowed as a whole instead.
- It can be consumed with or without food, preferably with or after food to avoid any gastric problems.
- Injection form of drug should be administered by a trained medical staff.
- The medicine should be taken at fixed timings
- The leaflet should be read thoroughly before using it as an over the counter drug.
5Common Dosage for Doxolin
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the Age, WeightMental status, Allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common adult dose of Doxolin is 200mg tablet 2-3 times a day or as advised by the doctor.
- The common dose in elderly patients is half 200mg tablet 2-3 times a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Dosage is also decided by the physician as per the condition of the patient.
- The dose should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- The doctor should be informed if symptoms persist or worsens
Q. What happens if I overdose on Doxolin?
Overdose of Doxolin can increase the chances of some serious side effects like vomiting, seizures in some cases. The doctor or trained medical staff should be consulted immediately in case of Doxolin overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Doxolin?
Doxolin may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects. The missed dose of Doxolin should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Doxolin?
A single dose of expired Doxolin is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Doxolin?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect varies with every individual.
- Complete course of drug should be done unless stated otherwise by the doctor
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Doxolin.
6When to Avoid Doxolin?
Do not Consume Doxolin:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Doxolin or any of its ingredients.
- Epilepsy: In known cases of patients suffering from epilepsy.
- Heart problems: In cases of known history of heart attack, irregular heart rhythm.
- Liver diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe liver diseases.
- Kidney diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe kidney diseases.
7Precautions while Taking Doxolin
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
- Avoid Smoking: Avoid smoking while using this drug.
Read more: Asparginase Precaution
8Side-Effects of Doxolin
The side effects associated with Doxolin used for different treatments are:
- Restlessness (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Increased Heartbeat (less common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (Less common)
- Altered Blood Pressure (less common)
- Dry mouth (less common)
- Muscle weakness (less common)
- Increased blood glucose level (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Doxolin?
Rare allergic reactions to Doxolin are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Itchy skin (less common)
What are the effects of Doxolin tablets on organs?
- In cases of liver and kidney impairments, dose adjustment maybe required by the physician.
Read more: Junior Lanzol Dosage
9Drug Interactions with Doxolin to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Doxolin. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Doxolin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Doxolin
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
2. Medicines Interactions with Doxolin
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Rifmpicin (moderate)
- Phenobarbitone (moderate)
- Erythromycin (mild)
- Ciprofloxacin (mild)
- Cimetidine (mild)
- Digitalis (moderate)
- Lithium (moderate)
3. Effects of Doxolin on Lab tests
Doxolin does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Doxolin’s Interaction with Diseases/Pre-existing condition
Liver, kidney and heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Doxolin with alcohol?
No, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Doxolin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
Q. Can I have Doxolin when pregnant?
Doxolin should only be consumed during pregnancy when necessary and the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Doxolin when feeding a baby?
No, Doxolin should only be used if necessary and should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Doxolin?
No, as Doxolin can cause dizziness therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occurs after taking Doxolin.
Know more: Isoxsuprine Hydrochloride Side Effects
10Buyer’s Guide – Doxolin Composition, Variant and Price
|Doxolin 400mg Tablet||Doxofylline 400mg||Rs. 78.90 for 30 Tablets|
|Doxolin M Tablet||Doxofylline 400mg + Montelukast 10mg||Rs. 58.90 for 10 Tablets|
|Doxolin OD 400mg Tablet||Doxofylline 400mg||Rs. 9.72 for 1 Tablet|
|Doxolin 10ml Injection||Doxofylline 10mg/ml||Rs. 900.00 for 1pack|
|Doxolin AX Tablet||Doxofylline 400mg + Ambroxol 30mg||Rs. 65.80 for 10 Tablets|
Check out: Myra Medicines Offers | 1mg Offers | Practo Offers
11Substitutes of Doxolin
The following are alternative drugs for Etophylline:
Doxoril 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs 25 for 10 tablets
Storage requirements for Doxolin
- Store the drug at room temperature and do not freeze
- Keep in place where it is out of reach of children
Also check out: Lactulose Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Doxolin
Q. What is Doxolin?
Ans. Doxolin is a unicomponent drug used as a bronchodilator agent. It is used to treat different conditions like COPD, asthma etc.
Q. How long does it take for Doxolin to show results?
Ans. Doxolin shows its effect depending on the condition being treated.
Q. Should Doxolin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Doxolin can be taken empty stomach but should preferably be taken with or after food to avoid stomach upset in cases of pre existing gastric problems.
Q. Does Doxolin make you drowsy?
Ans. Doxolin might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Doxolin doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Doxolin toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Doxolin should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and should not be unless stated otherwise by the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Doxolin.
Q. Does Doxolin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Doxolin safe for children?
Ans. Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Doxolin?
Ans. In cases of liver disorders, Doxolin should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Doxolin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –