Table of Contents
- What is Doxorubicin?
- Uses of Doxorubicin
- How Does Doxorubicin Work?
- Doxorubicin Price In India
- How to Take Doxorubicin?
- Common Dosage for Doxorubicin?
- When to Avoid Doxorubicin?
- Side-Effects of Doxorubicin
- Effects of Doxorubicin on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Doxorubicin
- Is Doxorubicin addictive?
- Can I have Doxorubicin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Doxorubicin when pregnant?
- Can I have Doxorubicin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Doxorubicin?
- What happens if I overdose on Doxorubicin?
- What happens if I take expired Doxorubicin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Doxorubicin?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Doxorubicin
What is Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is an anti-cancer drug which is used as chemotherapy in the treatment of various types of cancer within the body.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Coupon | Netmeds Coupon
Uses of Doxorubicin
- Ovarian Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Blood cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Cancer of thyroid
- Stomach cancer
- Bone and joints cancer
- Soft tissue cancer
- Lung cancer
- Cancer of nerves
- Muscle cancer
- Hodgkin’s disease
You may also read: Griseofulvin Uses | Imatinib Uses | Isoniazid Uses
How Does Doxorubicin Work?
Doxorubicin works by damaging the DNA of the cells with cancer thereby stopping their growth and multiplication. This results in stopping of cancer from spreading.
Doxorubicin Price In India
|Vial of 10 mg Injection||Rs 285|
|Vial of 50 mg Injection||Rs 1195.00|
Also Read: Ethambutol Price | Famotidine Price | Filgrastim Price
How to Take Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is an infusion which will be given to you by a doctor or a nurse. They will inject this medication into your blood vessels.
Common Dosage for Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is generally prescribed once every three to 4 weeks. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Doxorubicin?
Avoid Doxorubicin if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have an infection that is not controlled
- You have severe heart disease
- You have liver abnormalities
Side-Effects of Doxorubicin
- Low platelet count
- Low blood cell count
- Appetite loss
Also Read: Aminophylline Side Effect | Enoxaparin Side Effect
Effects of Doxorubicin on Organs?
Long term use of Doxorubicin is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Doxorubicin are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Polio vaccine
- Malaria vaccine
Effects/Results After Consuming Doxorubicin
The effect of Doxorubicin can be observed within 1 hour of administration. The average duration of action of this medication is between 1 to 2 days. Your cancer symptoms will start to improve after taking Doxorubicin.
Things to Know About Doxorubicin
Is Doxorubicin addictive?
Doxorubicin is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Doxorubicin with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Doxorubicin. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-administration of alcohol with Doxorubicin causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Doxorubicin when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Doxorubicin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Doxorubicin when feeding a baby?
Doxorubicin is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Doxorubicin?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Doxorubicin. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is given to you by health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of overdose are very less.
What happens if I take expired Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is given to you by a health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of expired drug administration are very less.
What happens if I miss a dose of Doxorubicin?
Doxorubicin is given to you by a health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of missed dose are very less.
- Always store Doxorubicin in a refrigerator
- Do not store this medication in freezer
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Doxorubicin
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Doxorubicin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Drink a lot of fluid and urinate frequently to avoid kidney impairment
- Do not let Doxorubicin come into contact with your skin.
- Use caution when using sharp objects.