Table of Contents
- What is Doxt SL?
- Uses of Doxt SL
- How does Doxt SL work?
- How to take Doxt SL?
- Common Dosage for Doxt SL
- When to Avoid Doxt SL?
- Precautions While Taking Doxt SL
- Side-Effects of Doxt SL
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Doxt SL Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Doxt SL
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Doxt SL
- Authored By –
1What is Doxt SL?
Used mainly to prevent or treat bacterial infections like sinusitis, respiratory tract infections (bronchitis, pharyngitis) and urinary tract infections. Liver toxicity and photosensitivity are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney diseases and patients suffering from myasthenia gravis.
Doxt SL Composition: Doxycycline 100mg + Lactobacillus 5 billion spores.
Manufactured By: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
Price: Rs 83 for 10 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic.
2Uses of Doxt SL
Doxt SL serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of the following conditions:
- UTI: Used to treat Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Ear infections: Used to treat Otitis Media (middle ear infection)
- Skin infections: Used for skin infections
- Lyme disease: Used to treat Lyme disease
- Genital Infections: Used to treat gynaecological infections (caused by Neisseria gonnorrhoeae).
- URTI: Used to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract like Tonsillitis, Pharyngitis, Sinusitis and Bronchitis
- Eye infections: Used to treat eye infections caused by bacterial organisms.
- Traveler’s diarrhoea: Used to treat traveler’s diarrhoea.
Also Read: Drotaverine Uses | dulcoflex Uses | ECONORM Uses
3 How does Doxt SL work?
- Doxt SL contains Doxycycline as its active ingredient along with lactobacillus spores.
- Doxycycline belongs to tetracycline group of antibiotics.
- Doxycycline has bacteriostatic properties as it inhibits and reduces the growth of bacterial cells and their replication by inhibiting the protein synthesis.
- Lactobacillus spores restore and maintain the balance between the good and harmful bacteria inside the intestine.
4 How to take Doxt SL?
- Doxt SL is present in the form of tablets, syrup, and capsules.
- Doxt SL tablet/capsule is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after food as it prevents any potential undesirable effects of the drug on the stomach when taken empty stomach and enhances drug absorption.
- Doxt SL capsule should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Doxt SL tablet should be taken with an equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Also Read about other medicine: Doxinate | Duphaston | Dytor Plus
5 Common Dosage for Doxt SL
- Doxt SL dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Doxt SL tablet is a single 200mg tablet once a day or two 100mg doses twice a day on the first day followed by a dose of 100mg daily.
- The common dose for children above 8 years of age is 2.2-4.4mg/kg/day in 1-2 divided doses.
- Administration of Doxt SL is not advised in infants and children below 8 years of age.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Doxt SL?
An overdose of Doxt SL can cause serious undesirable effects. In cases of overdose, immediately consult the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Doxt SL?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Doxt SL?
Expired Doxt SL might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Doxt SL and till when does the effect of Doxt SL stays?
- The effect of Doxt SL can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
- Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient and also depends on the severity of the infection or condition being treated.
Read about other medicines Dosage: Domperidone Dosage | Domstal Dosage
6 When to Avoid Doxt SL?
Do not Consume Doxt SL if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to doxycycline, other tetarcyclines or any other antibiotics.
- Liver diseases: In cases of patients with liver disorders or diseases.
- Kidney diseases: In cases of patients with kidney disorders or diseases.
- Porphyria: In cases of disorders like porphyria.
- Myasthenia gravis: In cases of myasthenia gravis.
- Skin disorders: In cases of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
7Precautions While Taking Doxt SL
- Proper administration: Doxt SL should be taken with or after food in patients with gastric irritation.
- Allergy: Doxt SL should be used with extra caution in patients with hypersensitivity or allergic history with antibiotics of the same generation or different generation.
- Pregnancy: should be avoided in pregnancy as it causes discoloration of teeth of the foetus.
- Lactating mother: should be avoided in lactating mothers as it causes discoloration of teeth of the foetus.
Warnings When Taking Doxt SL
- Always inform the doctor if there has been a history of or present liver or kidney diseases.
- Always complete the course of Doxt SL.
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
8Side-Effects of Doxt SL
The side effects associated with Doxt SL are:
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea ( less common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Fatigue (common)
- Breathlessness ( less common)
- Rashes (common)
- Itching (common)
- Yellow discoloration of teeth in children below 8 years of age. (common)
- Photosensitivity ( less common)
- Headache ( less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Abdominal pain ( less common)
- Liver toxicity (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Doxt SL?
- In case of any allergic signs like
- Breathing difficulty
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Doxt SL on organs?
- Dose adjustment would be needed for Doxt SL in patients with liver and kidney impairment.
- Doxt SL causes permanent teeth discoloration in children below 8 years of age.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Doxt SL. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Doxt SL. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Doxt SL
Calcium-rich food and dairy products can affect drug absorption.
2. Medicines Interactions with Doxt SL
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician abouf all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antacids (containing calcium and magnesium) (moderate)
- Warfarin (mild)
- Barbiturates (mild)
- Carbamazepine (moderate)
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Narcotic painkillers (moderate)
- Oral contraceptives (moderate)
- Muscle relaxants (mild)
- Cyclosporine (moderate)
- Penicillin (moderate)
3. Effects of Doxt SL on Lab Tests
Doxt SL does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Doxt’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Liver or kidney disorders.
Q. Can I have Doxt SL with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Doxt SL may cause liver damage. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Doxt SL.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Calcium rich food and dairy products can affect the drug absorption.
Q. Can I have Doxt SL when pregnant?
No, as it may harm the foetus. Therefore, inform the doctor before taking Doxt SL in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Doxt SL when feeding a baby?
No, Doxt SL should be avoided while feeding a baby as it is excreted in human milk and may harm the baby. Therefore, the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Doxt SL?
Doxt SL has no affect on the ability to drive but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
10 Buyer’s Guide – Doxt SL Composition, Variant and Price
|Doxt SL Variants||Doxt SL Composition||Doxt SL Price|
|Doxt 50mg Tablet||Doxycycline 50mg||Rs. 14.25 for 10 tablets|
|Doxt S 100mg Tablets||Doxycycline 100mg||Rs. 63.00 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Medicines | Saveonmedicals Medicines
11Substitutes of Doxt SL
The following are alternative drugs for Doxt SL:
- Microdox LBX Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Micro Labs Ltd
- Price – Rs. 69.50
- Biodoxi LB Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries
- Price – Rs. 62.25
- Codox L Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Comed Chemicals
- Price – Rs. 74.7
- Edicicap Plus Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Oswin
- Price – Rs. 40
Storage requirements for Doxt SL
- Store the Doxt SL tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Doxt SL
Q. What is Doxt SL?
Ans. Doxt SL is a synthetically derived antibiotic which belongs to tetracycline class of drugs.
Doxt SL contains Doxycycline as its main active ingredient. It is predominantly used for infections known to be caused by bacteria like ear and skin infections.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Doxt SL to show results?
Ans. The effect of Doxt SL can be seen within first few days of starting the therapy.
Q. Should Doxt SL be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Doxt SL should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any gastric irritation.
Q. Does Doxt SL make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Doxt SL may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Doxt SL doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Doxt SL should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Doxt SL.
Q. Does Doxt SL effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans.No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Doxt SL safe for children?
Ans. Doxt SL should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Doxt SL?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Doxt SL.
Q. Is Doxt SL legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –