Skip to Content
- What is Doxycycline?
- Uses of Doxycycline
- How does Doxycycline work?
- Doxycycline Price in India
- How to Take Doxycycline?
- Common Dosage for Doxycycline?
- When to Avoid Doxycycline?
- Side-effects of Doxycycline?
- Are There any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- What Are The Effects of Doxycycline on Organs?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Is Doxycycline Addictive?
- Can I have Doxycycline with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Doxycycline When Pregnant?
- Can I have Doxycycline when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Doxycycline?
- What happens if I overdose on Doxycycline?
- What happens if I eat expired Doxycycline?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Doxycycline?
- Storage Requirements for Doxycycline
- Pro Tips When Taking Doxycycline
What is Doxycycline?
Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic which is used to treat different kinds of bacterial infections. Doxycycline is ineffective in treating viral infections like common cold, flu etc. Overuse or unnecessary usage of Doxycycline can cause antibiotic resistance or decreased effectiveness of the antibiotic.
Uses of Doxycycline
Doxycycline is commonly used in treatment or prevention of the following diseases or symptoms:
- Respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections like acne
- Urinary tract infections
- Genital infections
- Eye infections
- Traveller’s diarrhoea
- Lyme disease
Doxycycline may also be used for other purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Cmoxicillin Uses | Ceftriaxone Uses | Cetrizine Uses
How does Doxycycline work?
Doxycycline (active ingredient-Doxycycline) belongs to “Tetracycline” group of antibiotics, which are considered to have bacteriostatic (bacterial growth inhibitor) property. It reduces the growth and replication of bacteria by inhibiting the bacterial protein synthesis.
Doxycycline Price in India
|100 mg strip of 8 Tablets||Rs 13.43|
Also Read: Nicotex Price
How to Take Doxycycline?
- In order to reduce antibiotic resistance and increase the effectiveness of Doxycycline, it is advisable that all antibacterial therapies including Doxycycline should be selected based on culture and susceptibility information. (A particular antibiotic should only be used to treat or prevent infections that are strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria).
- Doxycycline should be taken by mouth and should be directly swallowed with water in one go without crushing or chewing.
- Doxycycline should be taken with or immediately after food to decrease the incidence of gastric adverse effects.
- It should always be consumed at evenly spaced intervals to maintain a certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- When on Doxycycline therapy, it is always advised that medication should not be left in between without completing the full course as it:
- Might decrease the efficacy of the drug and
- Increase the likelihood of bacterial resistance to Doxycycline thereby making it inefficient for future use.
Common Dosage for Doxycycline?
- Doxycycline dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Age and body weight of the patient
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Disease severity
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The most usually recommended dose of Doxycycline in adults is 200mg on the first day as a single or two 100mg doses (loading dose) followed by 100mg every day.
- The recommended dose in children is 2.2-4.4mg/kg/day in 1-2 divided doses depending upon the severity of the infection.
- It should not be administered in newborns, infants, and children below 8 years of age as it can cause permanent tooth discoloration.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Monocef Dosage | Mtp Dosage
When to Avoid Doxycycline?
Doxycycline should not be used in the following scenarios:
- If you are allergic to Doxycycline
- If you are allergic to other drugs belonging to Tetracycline family
- Patients suffering from severe kidney or liver disease
- Lactating mothers
- Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (an autoimmune disease characterised by a rash on face)
- Patients with myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disorder which causes weakness in skeletal muscles)
- Patients with porphyria (buildup of chemicals called Porphyrins in the body)
Side-effects of Doxycycline?
Side effects are possible but do not always occur in all the patients. More commonly observed side effects of Doxycycline may include:
- Tinnitus (ringing in ears)
- Yellow discoloration of teeth when given in children below 8 years of age
- Liver toxicity
- Allergic reactions
In such cases, tell your doctor immediately and seek immediate medical attention.
Also Read: Ibuprofen Side Effect | Momate Side Effect
Are There any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Although Doxycycline is used to treat bacterial infections an allergic reaction to Doxycycline might occur. Symptoms of possible allergic reactions reported include:
- Itchy skin
- Swelling especially on face, lips & throat
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing and
- Loss of consciousness.
What Are The Effects of Doxycycline on Organs?
- Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from kidney and liver diseases. In such patients, Doxycycline should be administered with caution.
- Permanent Discoloration of teeth is observed when Doxycycline is administered in children below 8 years of age.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use. You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. Some of the common drugs which interact with Doxycycline include:
- Antacids (containing calcium and mangnesium)
- Oral contraceptives
Using all these medicines along with Doxycycline can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed. Consult your doctor before administering any of the above-mentioned drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In
- The time taken for Doxycycline to show its effect depends upon the dose and course of medicine being consumed and its intended use.
- Some patients might show the decreased severity of symptoms from day one but even if the symptoms have disappeared, the course of the medicine should always be completed.
Is Doxycycline Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Doxycycline with alcohol?
You should not drink alcohol when on Doxycycline therapy as it may increase the risk of side effects like dizziness, unusual calmness in few patients.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Calcium-rich foods, including dairy products (such as milk, yogurt) or calcium-enriched juice, can affect the absorption of this medication and should be avoided.
Can I have Doxycycline When Pregnant?
- Doxycycline should not be used in pregnancy as it may cause harm to the fetus.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Can I have Doxycycline when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child.
- Doxycycline is excreted in human milk and may cause potential harm to infants so always consult your doctor before consuming Doxycycline while lactating.
Can I drive after taking Doxycycline?
Doxycycline usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, few patients might experience dizziness as a side effect, in such cases, it should be used with caution while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Doxycycline?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms; rather they may cause serious side-effects.
- In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Doxycycline?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Doxycycline to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition.
- It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Doxycycline?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take a double dose.
Storage Requirements for Doxycycline
- Doxycycline tablets should be stored away from direct heat and light and at a temperature below 40 degrees.
- Keep it away from children and pet.
Pro Tips When Taking Doxycycline
- Even if you begin to feel better in a few days of treatment with Doxycycline, it is advisable that you complete the entire course of treatment.
- If the medicine is stopped in between, the symptoms might return or may get worsened. Also, chances of bacterial resistance to the drug may increase.
- Patients should always be monitored for liver and kidney function test if a long course of Doxycycline is administered.