What Is Dramamine?
Dramamine is generally used for the treatment of motion sickness.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy coupon code | Myra Medicines coupon code
Uses Of Dramamine
Dramamine is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness due to motion sickness. These symptoms can also occur in conditions like post- radiation therapy, after surgeries, nausea/vomiting as a side effect of medicines and Menière’s disease.
Read More: Deslor uses | Fefol uses | Flotral uses
Dramamine contains diphenhydramine as it’s active ingredient.
How Does Dramamine Work?
Diphenhydramine inhibits the action of certain chemical messengers (H1 histamine receptors) that are responsible for nausea/vomiting, inflammation, congestion, itching, and other symptoms of allergy.
How to Take Dramamine?
- Dramamine comes in the form of 50 mg oral tablet and 50mg chewable tablets.
- Dramamine should be consumed at least 30 minutes before travelling to prevent the occurrence of motion sickness. Dramamine can be taken with or without food.
- Do not crush/chew or powder the oral tablet.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed before swallowing it.
Common Dosage Of Dramamine
- The common adult dose for prophylaxis of motion sickness is around 50 to 100 mg, to be taken at least thirty minutes before travelling.
- The dose may be repeated every four to six hours as per requirement.
- Maximum dose – 400mg per day.
When to Avoid Dramamine & Precautions To Take?
- Do not take Dramamine if you are allergic to its ingredients.
- Dramamine should not be used in children under 2 years of age.
- Always inform your doctor if you suffer from a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis.
- Always inform your doctor if you are suffering from glaucoma.
- Always inform your doctor if you have trouble in passing urine because of an enlarged prostate gland.
Read More: Deslor precautions | Fefol Precautions | Flotral Precaution
Side Effects Of Dramamine
Common side effects of Dramamine include:
- Increased heartbeats
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
What Are The Effects of Dramamine on Organs?
- Dramamine may have an adverse effect on liver and kidney function.
- Dramamine may worsen the condition of cardiovascular disease patients.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions to Dramamine have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, fever etc. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Dramamine:
- Dramamine interacts with anti-histaminic drugs like cetirizine. Avoid concomitant use. Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors
- Anticholinergic Agents like Aclidinium, Amantadine, Amifampridine
- Muscle relaxants like cyclobenzaprine.
- CNS depressants
Shows Effects/Results In
The time for onset of action is 15-30 minutes and duration of effect for Dramamine is 4-6 hours.
Storage Requirements for Dramamine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from the reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Dramamine
- Always consume the medicine at least half an hour before travelling.
- Do not consume in doses larger or smaller than that prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid taking alcohol while consuming Dramamine.
- After taking Dramamine, if your symptoms get worse, contact your doctor immediately.
Is Dramamine addictive?
No, Dramamine is not addictive.
Can I have Dramamine with alcohol?
One should avoid the consumption of alcohol when having Dramamine.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Dramamine when pregnant?
Use of Dramamine during pregnancy is recommended only if clearly needed.
Can I have Dramamine when feeding a baby?
Although Dramamine is known to pass in the breast milk, small and infrequent doses are not known to cause any ill effects in breastfed infants. However, prolonged use must be avoided during breastfeeding a child. Therefore, use during breastfeeding is recommended only if clearly needed.
Can I drive after taking Dramamine?
No. It is recommended to not drive after taking Dramamine as it can cause blurred vision and drowsiness as side effects.
What happens if I overdose on Dramamine?
Seek medical attention upon overdosing on Dramamine.
What happens if I eat expired Dramamine?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dramamine?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose