Table of Contents
- What is Drotaverine?
- Uses of Drotaverine
- How does Drotaverine work?
- Drotaverine Price in India
- How to take Drotaverine?
- Common dosage of Drotaverine
- Precautions- When to avoid Drotaverine
- Side effects of Drotaverine
- Reported allergic reactions
- Effect on organs
- Drug interactions to be careful about
- Show effects/Results in
- Storage requirements of Drotaverine
- Pro Tips
- Is it addictive?
- Can I have Drotaverine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Drotaverine when pregnant?
- Can I have Drotaverine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Drotaverine?
- What happen if I overdose on Drotaverine?
- What happen if I eat expired Drotaverine?
- What happen if I miss a dose of Drotaverine?
What is Drotaverine?
- Drotaverine is an antispasmodic drug which prevents or relieves the development of muscle spasms in smooth muscles.
- Drotaverine is most commonly used in the treatment of menstrual pain (painful periods), abdominal pain, pain due to kidney stones etc.
Uses of Drotaverine
Drotaverine is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstrual pain
- Cervical spasm during labour
- Chest pain
- Gallstones pain in kidney
- Pain in renal colic
- Drotaverine may also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Also read: Domperidone Uses | Domstal Uses | Doxinate Uses
How does Drotaverine work?
- Drotaverine is antispasmodic which works by relaxing the smooth muscles.
- It acts by elevation of level of chemical messenger (cAMP) which relieves pain due to smooth muscle contraction.
Drotaverine Price in India
|80 mg 10*10 Tablets||Rs 195 Pack|
How to take Drotaverine?
- Drotaverine is available in different forms:
- Drotaverine tablets (40mg,80mg)
- Drotaverine suspension
- Drotaverine injection
- Tablet is usually well absorbed when taken by mouth. It can be administered with or without meals. In patients with gastric discomfort or stomach upset, it is advisable to take Drotaverine after food to prevent gastric side effects.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole with plenty of fluids without crushing or chewing it.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals (if taking more than 1 tablet in a day) to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- While using suspension form, a medication measuring cup and not a household spoon should be used to measure the prescribed dose
- Shake the bottle well before each use.
- If taken as an over-the-counter product, read all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Common dosage of Drotaverine
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The recommended dose for adults is usually 40-80mg 2-3 times a day depending upon the severity of your condition.
- In children up to 6 years of age, recommended dose is 20mg 2-3 times a day. The dosage can be increased up to 40mg in children above 6 years.
- However always consult your doctor before administering Drotaverine tablet to children.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Dulcoflex Dosage | Duphaston Dosage | Dytor Plus Dosage
Precautions- When to avoid Drotaverine
It is not recommended for
- Patients allergic to its ingredients
- Patients with Heart disease
- Patients suffering from severe Liver disease/Kidney disease
- Genetic disorder of skin and blood
- Patients who are bed ridden or immobile from a long time
- Patients who are about to undergo surgery
Side effects of Drotaverine
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Sleep disorders
- Flushing (reddening of skin)
- Allergic dermatitis
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Dryness in mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling on face ,hands or feet
- Drop in blood pressure
Reported allergic reactions
- Drotaverine tablet is not recommended if you are allergic to any active ingredient or constituents of it.
Possible allergic reactions reported are-
- Rashes on skin
- Discoloration of the skin on the face or neck
- Irregular heartbeat swelling of face, neck
- loss of consciousness
Effect on organs
- It can affect your heart, liver and kidney if taken for longer time.
Drug interactions to be careful about
- Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Drotaverine include:
- Antimuscarinics like Anti-Parkinson’s drugs
- Analgesics like Diclofenac
Show effects/Results in
- Most patients show decreased severity of symptoms within few hours.
Storage requirements of Drotaverine
- Store medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Do not freeze medicines unless required by package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
- Use of Drotaverine can cause fall in blood pressure levels and hence should be used with caution in patients with heart disease.
- Do not take more than three tablets in a day and keep adequate time gap between each dosage.
Is it addictive?
- No habit forming tendencies have been reported with this medicine.
Can I have Drotaverine with alcohol?
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown.
- Please consult your doctor before consuming alcohol with Drotaverine.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No interaction with any food product observed. For further information you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Drotaverine when pregnant?
- Drotaverine is categorized as unsafe for pregnant woman as it can cross the placental barrier and can be harmful for the foetus.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant in the near future.
Can I have Drotaverine when feeding a baby?
- Drotaverine is not recommended for the lactating woman as it can affect the production and quality of breast milk and also can affect foetus.
- Consult your doctor and discuss the risks associated while taking Drotaverine in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Drotaverine?
- Drotaverine Tablet may causes side effects like dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness in few patients.
- In such patients, driving and operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
What happen if I overdose on Drotaverine?
- Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects.
- Symptoms of over dosage include:
- Stomach discomfort
- Fall in blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happen if I eat expired Drotaverine?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Drotaverine to produce an adverse event. However, please consult your physician if you feel unwell or sick after consuming an expired medicine.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happen if I miss a dose of Drotaverine?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.