Table of Contents
- 1 What is Drotin Ds?
- 2 Uses of Drotin DS
- 3 How does Drotin DS work?
- 4 How to take Drotin DS?
- 5 Common Dosage for Drotin DS
- 6 When to Avoid Drotin DS?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Drotin DS
- 8 Side-Effects of Drotin DS
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Drotin DS
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Drotin DS
- 9.3 3. Effects of Drotin DS on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Drotin DS’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Drotin DS with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Drotin DS when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Drotin DS when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Drotin DS?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Drotin DS Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Drotin DS
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Drotin DS
- 12.1 Q. What is Drotin DS?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Drotin DS to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Drotin DS be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Drotin DS make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Drotin DS doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Drotin DS effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Drotin DS safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Drotin DS?
- 12.10 Q. Is Drotin DS legal in India?
- 13 Authored By –
What is Drotin Ds?
Used mainly to treat a different kind of pain majorly pain due to a kidney stone. Allergic dermatitis and irregular heart rhythm are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney disease, heart problems.
Drotin DS Composition: Drotaverine Hydrochloride 80 mg
Manufactured By: Walter Bushnell.
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Form: Tablets, injections, suspensions.
Price: Rs 139.51 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antispasmodic
Uses of Drotin DS
Drotin DS serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Pain: Used in the management of moderate to severe pain like Headache
- Bowel Problems: Used to treat conditions like Irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstrual pain: Used to treat period pain (Menstrual pain).
- Labour: Used for Cervical spasm during labour
- Chest Pain: Used to treat Pain in chest
- Calculi Pain: Used to treat Gall bladder and renal calculi pain (kidney stone pain)
Also Read: Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Uses | Disprin Uses | Dolonex Dt Uses
How does Drotin DS work?
- Drotin DS contains Drotaverine Hydrochloride as its active ingredient.
- Drotaverine Hydrochloride is an antispasmodic drug and works by relaxing the smooth muscles.
- Drotin DS elevates the cAMP (chemical messenger) levels, which further relieves the pain by relaxing the contracted smooth muscles.
How to take Drotin DS?
- Drotin DS is usually available in tablet and suspension form
- Drotin DS tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or without food preferably with food in patients with gastric problems to prevent any gastric irritation.
- Drotin DS tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Drotin DS should be taken at evenly spaced time intervals to have better results.
- If taking the suspension form, shake the bottle well before use and measuring cap is to be used for consuming advised dose.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage for Drotin DS
- Drotin DS dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose is 40-80 mg tablet 2-3 times a day keeping four to the six-hour interval between two doses depending upon the severity of the condition.
- In children up to 6 years of age, dose recommended is 20 mg 2-3 times a day but one should always consult paediatrician before administering Drotin DS to kids.
- Prolonged use of Drotin DS should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Dose alteration without consultation with the doctor should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Drotin DS?
Acute overdose of Drotin DS can cause symptoms like nausea, vomiting, decreased BP and increased heart rate. Consult the doctor or the medical staff immediately in case of Drotin DS overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Drotin DS?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Drotin DS?
The expired dose of Drotin DS is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Drotin DS and till when does the effect of Drotin DS stay?
- Effects/result of Drotin DS can be seen within a few hours of consuming the drug.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also Read: Dicyclomine Hydrochloride Dosage | Diclofenac Sodium Dosage | Aceclofenac Paracetamol Dosage
When to Avoid Drotin DS?
Do not Consume Drotin DS if:
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy to Drotin DS or any of its components
- Heart problems: In cases of a known history of heart disease.
- Genetic disorder: In cases of known history or present genetic disorder of skin and blood.
- Liver or Kidney Impairment: In cases of a known history of liver or kidney disease.
- Pre Surgical cases: In cases about to go for surgery.
- Bed ridden patients: In cases of bed ridden or immobile patients.
Precautions While Taking Drotin DS
- Proper Consultation: The drug should not be administered in patients with renal or liver disease without doctor’s consultation.
- Heart diseases: It should be used with caution in patients with a history of cardiovascular diseases.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration/ consuming high dose without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Drotin DS
- If a known history of heart diseases, avoid this drug as it can lower the blood pressure.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Drotin DS should not be consumed more than 3 tablets a day unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
Side-Effects of Drotin DS
The side effects associated with Drotin DS are:
- Dizziness (Common)
- Nausea (less common)
- Vomiting (Common)
- Sweating (less common)
- Sleep disorders (less common)
- Constipation (less common)
- Flushing (Skin Reddening) (less common)
- Allergic dermatitis (less common)
- Headache (Common)
- Irregular heart rhythm (less common)
- Dry mouth (Common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
- Swelling on face, hands or feet (less common)
- Drop in blood pressure (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Drotin DS?
- In case of any allergic signs like itching, redness, and rashes, immediate medical help should be taken.
- Patients allergic to Drotin DS should avoid the drug.
What are the effects of Drotin DS on organs?
Drotin DS can affect hepatic, cardiac and renal functions in cases of prolonged use.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Drotin DS. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Drotin DS. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Drotin DS
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Drotin DS
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Levodopa (moderate)
- Antimuscarinics Eg: Anti-Parkinson’s drugs (mild)
- Analgesics Eg: Diclofenac (moderate)
- Atropine (mild)
- Diazepam (moderate)
- Benzodiazepine (mild)
3. Effects of Drotin DS on Lab Tests
Drotin DS does not affect any lab test as such.
4. Drotin DS’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases, heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Drotin DS with alcohol?
No reports of an interaction between alcohol and this drug has been reported yet but always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Drotin DS when pregnant?
No, as it is known to cause harm to the foetus by crossing placental barrier.
The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Drotin DS when feeding a baby?
No, as it is known to be affect quality and quantity of human milk. Therefore, it is better to avoid or use this drug with caution in nursing/lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Drotin DS?
Drotin DS can cause drowsiness, vertigo in some patients. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness/ dizziness occur.
Also Read: Deriphylline Side Effect | Dexamethasone Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Drotin DS Composition, Variant and Price
|Drotin DS Variants||Drotin DS Composition||Drotin DS Price|
|Drotin M tablet||Drotaverine 80mg + Mefenamic Acid 250mg||Rs. 132.49 for 10 tablets|
|Drotin 2ml Injection||Drotaverine 40mg||Rs. 21.43 for 1 pack|
|Drotin DS suspension 30ml||Drotaverine 20mg/5ml||Rs. 60.49 for 1 pack|
|Drotin A tablet||Drotaverine 80mg + Aceclofenac 100mg||Rs. 121.42 for 10 tablets|
|Drotin Plus tablet||Drotaverine 80mg + Paracetamol / Acetaminophen 500mg||Rs. 126.1 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get 20% Minimum Discount from: Pharmeasy Medicines
Substitutes of Drotin DS
The following are alternative drugs for Drotin DS:
- Drot DS tablet:
- Manufactured by – Walter Bushnell
- Price – Rs. 115.03
- Drovera 80mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Svizera Healthcare
- Price – Rs. 55
- Drotamet 80mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Ikon Remedies Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 59.62
- Isoverin 80mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Man Cop Remedies.
- Price – Rs. 37.15
Storage requirements for Drotin DS Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at a temperature below 30OC
- Do not freeze the medicine unless stated.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Drotin DS
Q. What is Drotin DS?
Ans. Drotin DS is a single component drug that contains Drotaverine as its main active ingredient.
Drotin DS belongs to the class of antispasmodic drugs which helps to prevent or treat spasmodic (painful) episodes of the smooth muscles in the body. It is used predominantly to treat menstrual pain and calculi pain.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Drotin DS to show results?
Ans. Effects/result of Drotin DS can be seen within a few hours of consuming the drug.
Q. Should Drotin DS be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Drotin DS can be taken empty stomach but to prevent any potential stomach upset, consume it with or after food.
Q. Does Drotin DS make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Drotin DS may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Drotin DS doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 6-8 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Drotin DS toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Drotin DS should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Drotin DS.
Q. Does Drotin DS effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Drotin DS safe for children?
Ans. Drotin DS can be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Drotin DS?
Ans. Any liver disorder, heart disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Drotin DS.
Q. Is Drotin DS legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.