Table of Contents
- 1 What is Dulcoflex?
- 2 Uses of Dulcoflex
- 3 How does Dulcoflex work?
- 4 How to take Dulcoflex?
- 5 Common Dosage for Dulcoflex
- 6 When to Avoid Dulcoflex?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Dulcoflex
- 8 Side-Effects of Dulcoflex
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Dulcoflex
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Dulcoflex
- 9.3 3. Effects of Dulcoflex on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Dulcoflex’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Dulcoflex with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Dulcoflex when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Dulcoflex when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Dulcoflex?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Dulcoflex Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Dulcoflex
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Dulcoflex
- 12.1 Q. What is Dulcoflex?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Dulcoflex to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Dulcoflex be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Dulcoflex make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Dulcoflex doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Dulcoflex effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Dulcoflex safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dulcoflex?
- 12.10 Q. Is Dulcoflex legal in India?
- 13 Authored By –
What is Dulcoflex?
Used mainly to treat bowel problems like Irritable bowel syndrome. Electrolyte imbalance and dehydration are the majorly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of dehydration and faecal impaction.
Dulcoflex Composition: Bisacodyl 5mg
Manufactured By: Boehringer Ingelheim.
Form: Tablets and Suppository.
Price: Rs 10.53 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Laxative
Uses of Dulcoflex
Dulcoflex serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Fecal elimination: Used for easy stool passing
- Stool softener: Used for softening the stools.
- Constipation: Used to treat constipation.
- Bowel problems: Used to treat bowel problems like IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
- Pre Operative clearance: Used for Bowel clearance before delivery or surgery
- Post Operative cases: Used in cases of anal fissures and fistulas post operatively.
- Radiographs: Used in preparation for Radiograph
Also read about other medicine's uses: Duphaston Uses | Dytor Plus Uses
How does Dulcoflex work?
- Dulcoflex contains Bisacodyl as its active ingredient.
- Bisacodyl is a simulative laxative which works by stimulating the inner lining of the intestine (bowel) and aids the intestinal muscles to move waste products (Faeces) out and eventually leads to easy passing of stools.
How to take Dulcoflex?
- Dulcoflex is usually available in tablet form and in the form of suppositories also.
- Dulcoflex tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or without food.
- The tablet should be accompanied by plenty of fluids in case of constipation.
- Tablet should be taken at fixed and equal time intervals, preferably at night.
- Tablet should not be crushed or chewed; it should be swallowed as a whole.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage for Dulcoflex
- Dulcoflex dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose is a single 5-10mg tablet daily (preferably at night).
- For children above 10 years of age common dose is 16-20mg at night in cases of preparation before radiographical procedure and surgery.
- It should be used with caution in children below 6 years and in pregnant ladies.
- It is safer to consult the paediatrician before administering the paediatric dose.
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Dulcoflex?
An overdose of Dulcoflex can cause symptoms like drowsiness, fainting, diarrhoea so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and the Medical Staff or the doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Dulcoflex overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Dulcoflex?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug and other undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Dulcoflex?
The expired dose of Dulcoflex does not cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any symptoms. An expired drug is not potent enough and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Dulcoflex and till when does the effect of Dulcoflex stays?
- Effects/result of Dulcoflex can be seen within 6-8 hours (when taken on empty stomach) and 10-12 hours (when taken after food) to exert pressure.
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also read about other medicine's dosage: Drotaverine Dosage | Doxt SL Dosage
When to Avoid Dulcoflex?
Do not Consume Dulcoflex if:
- Obstruction: In cases of intestinal obstruction as it causes abdominal cramps.
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy to any of its component
- Surgical Conditions: In cases of acute surgical abdominal conditions.
- Bowel disease: In cases of acute inflammatory bowel disease.
- Dehydration: In severe dehydration cases.
- Faecal impaction: In cases of faecal impaction.
- Chronic use: In cases of chronic use.
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy (unless prescribed by the doctor) and children below 6 years of age.
Precautions While Taking Dulcoflex
- Caution: The drug should not be administered in patients with inflammatory bowel disease
- Caution: The drug should be administered with caution in cases of pre-existing heart disease or bowel disease.
- Timing: The drug should be consumed preferably at night.
- Dose alteration: consuming high dose without medical consultation should be avoided to prevent habit formation.
Warnings When Taking Dulcoflex
- Excessive use of stimulant laxatives can cause diarrhoea and related effects such as hypokalemia; however, prolonged use may be justifiable in some circumstances.
- Avoid consuming Antacid or milk within 1 hour of consuming Dulcoflex
- If one is pregnant or planning to conceive or pregnant, inform the doctor.
Side-Effects of Dulcoflex
The side effects associated with Dulcoflex are:
- Fainting (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Soreness in anal region due to suppository leakage. (less common)
- Abdominal discomfort (common)
- Electrolyte imbalance (common)
- Hypokalemia (low levels of potassium) (less common)
- Dehydration (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Appetite loss (common)
- Fatigue (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Dulcoflex?
- In case of any allergic signs like itching, redness and rashes, loss of consciousness immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Dulcoflex on organs?
- Dulcoflex can affect renal functions hence extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of kidney problems.
- Dulcoflex should be used with caution in patients with appendicitis or intestinal obstruction
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Dulcoflex. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Dulcoflex. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Dulcoflex
Milk consumption within 1 hour of Dulcoflex consumption should be avoided
2. Medicines Interactions with Dulcoflex
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Milk (mild)
- Antacids (mild)
- Omeprazole (moderate)
- Prednisolone (mild)
- Calcium carbonate (mild)
- Magnesium carbonate (mild)
- Ketoconazole (moderate)
3. Effects of Dulcoflex on Lab Tests
Dulcoflex can affect the bleeding magnesium and potassium levels test
4. Dulcoflex’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Acute inflammatory bowel disease.
Q. Can I have Dulcoflex with alcohol?
No, as the interaction of alcohol with Dulcoflex is not known. Always notify the doctor before alcohol consumption.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Milk consumption within 1 hour of Dulcoflex consumption should be avoided. To aid easy stool passing, a more fibrous diet with fruits and leafy vegetables should be consumed.
Q. Can I have Dulcoflex when pregnant?
No, extra caution should be used while taking this drug during pregnancy and the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Dulcoflex when feeding a baby?
No incident has been reported about effects of Dulcoflex in lactating mothers however, the doctor should always be informed as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Dulcoflex?
No, as Dulcoflex is known to cause drowsiness in some cases. Therefore, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery
Also read about other medicine Side effect: Domperidone Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Dulcoflex Composition, Variant and Price
|Dulcoflex Variants||Dulcoflex Composition||Dulcoflex Price|
|Dulcoflex Suppository for adults 10 mg||Bisacodyl 10mg/ Suppository||Rs. 126.42 for 5/pack|
|Dulcoflex Suppository for children 5 mg||Bisacodyl 5mg/ Suppository||Rs. 44.3 for 5/pack|
|Dulcoflex tablet||Bisacodyl 5mg||Rs. 10.53 for 10 tablets|
|Dulcoflex natural tablet||Sennosides 7.5mg||Rs. 49.9 for 10 tablets|
|Dulcoflex 40S tablet||Bisacodyl 5mg||Rs. 44.38 for 4 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1mg Medicines | Medlife Discount Coupons
Substitutes of Dulcoflex
The following are alternative drugs for Dulcoflex:
- Dulcoflex 40S tablet:
- Manufactured by – Sanofi India Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 44.38
- Dulax 5mg tablet:
- Manufactured by – Searle.
- Price – Rs. 10.52
- Bolax Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 10.80
- Cremaffin fresh tablet:
- Manufactured by – Abbott.
- Price – Rs. 10.19
Storage requirements for Dulcoflex Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at a temperature below 30OC
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Dulcoflex
Q. What is Dulcoflex?
Ans. Dulcoflex is a single component drug that contains Bisacodyl as its main active ingredient. Bisacodyl is an organic compound used as a stimulant laxative drug.
Dulcoflex helps to pass the stools easily in cases of constipation and several other conditions.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Dulcoflex to show results?
Ans. Effects/result of Dulcoflex can be seen within 6-8 hours (when taken on empty stomach) and 10-12 hours (when taken after food) to exert pressure.
Q. Should Dulcoflex be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Dulcoflex can be taken empty stomach.
Q. Does Dulcoflex make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Dulcoflex may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Dulcoflex doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Dulcoflex toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Dulcoflex should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Dulcoflex.
Q. Does Dulcoflex effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Dulcoflex safe for children?
Ans. Dulcoflex should not be administered in children below 6 years without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician. Variants of the same drug for children are available
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Dulcoflex?
Ans. Any obstruction, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Dulcoflex.
Q. Is Dulcoflex legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.