Table of Contents
- What is Dulcolax?
- Uses of Dulcolax
- How does Dulcolax work?
- How to take Dulcolax?
- Dulcolax Price In India
- Common Dosage for Dulcolax
- When to avoid Dulcolax?
- Precautions when taking Dulcolax
- Side Effects of Dulcolax
- Effects on organs?
- Storage Requirements for Dulcolax
- Pro Tips When Taking Dulcolax
- Is Dulcolax addictive?
- Can I have Dulcolax with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Dulcolax when pregnant?
- Can I have Dulcolax when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Dulcolax?
- What happens if I overdose on Dulcolax?
- What happens if I eat expired Dulcolax?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Dulcolax?
What is Dulcolax?
Dulcolax is known as a stimulant laxative. It is a stool softener, which is used in the treatment of constipation by preventing dry and hard stools. Dulcolax is also used before certain medical procedures to empty the bowels.
Manufactured By – Boehringer Ingelheim
Other variants and composition –
Dulcolax Sp 60Ml Syrup – Sodium picosulphate 5 MG /5ML
Other variants and compositions
|Dulcolax 5 mg Tablet||Bisacodyl (5mg)|
|Dulcolax 10 mg Tablet||Bisacodyl (10mg)|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Promo Code | Medlife Order Online
Uses of Dulcolax
Dulcolax is used to treat constipation. It may also be used to clean out the intestines before a bowel surgery or examination.
How does Dulcolax work?
Dulcolax works by increasing the movement of the intestines, helping the stool to come out.
How to take Dulcolax?
- Dulcolax is marketed as enteric coated and regular tablets.
- To avoid drug activation in the stomach with consequent gastric irritation and cramping, patients should swallow tablets without chewing or crushing.
Dulcolax Price In India
|5 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 10.19|
|10 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 18.3|
Also Read: Melatonin Price | Methadone Price
Common Dosage for Dulcolax
- The usual oral daily dose of Dulcolax is 10-15 mg for adults. 1-3 times in a day.
- 5-10 mg for children ages 6-12 years old. For children only once in a day.
When to avoid Dulcolax?
- To avoid drug activation in the stomach with consequent gastric irritation and cramping avoid antacid medications within 1 hour of the ingestion of Dulcolax.
- Corticosteroids (e.g., dexamethasone, hydrocortisone and prednisone) are to be taken 2 hours after or before Dulcolax.
- Proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole interact with Dulcolax, thus need to be avoided with it.
Precautions when taking Dulcolax
- Do not take Dulcolax if you are allergic to it.
- Do not take Dulcolax if you are lactose intolerant.
- Discontinue if rectal bleeding or no bowel movement occurs.
- Do not use if abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting is present.
- Dulcolax is contraindicated in severe dehydration.
Side Effects of Dulcolax
Some of the reported side effects of Dulcolax are:
- Abdominal cramps
- Rectal bleeding
- Stomach discomfort and pain
- Nausea and vomiting
Also Read: Bisoprolol Side Effect
Effects on organs?
Gastrointestinal – Can initiate an inflammatory response in the small bowel and colon. It can harm the mucosa.
Storage Requirements for Dulcolax
- Keep it in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep Dulcolax away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Dulcolax
Take the Dulcolax tablets at night to produce a bowel movement the following morning.
Is Dulcolax addictive?
No, Dulcolax is not addictive.
Can I have Dulcolax with alcohol?
No, it may worsen the condition causing severe dehydration and constipation.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid milk within 1 hour of the ingestion of Dulcolax to avoid gastric irritation.
Can I have Dulcolax when pregnant?
No, ask your doctor before consuming Dulcolax when pregnant.
Can I have Dulcolax when feeding a baby?
Yes, Dulcolax is safe while breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Dulcolax?
Yes, it is rare to be dizzy while taking Dulcolax.
What happens if I overdose on Dulcolax?
Overdosage on Dulcolax can lead to catharsis and fluid and electrolyte deficits.
What happens if I eat expired Dulcolax?
It is advised to not to take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Dulcolax?
Take the next dose at the scheduled time . Never take more than the dose for a missed one.
Also read about other medicine's: Enalapril