Table of Contents
- What is Duphaston?
- Uses of Duphaston
- How does Duphaston work?
- How to take Duphaston?
- Duphaston Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Duphaston?
- Precautions While Taking Duphaston:
- Side-Effects of Duphaston:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Duphaston Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Duphaston
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Duphaston
- Authored By –
What is Duphaston?
Duphaston is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like endometrial hyperplasia, secondary amenorrhea and hormone replacement therapy. Weight gain and tender breasts are the common side effects at high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver diseases, abnormal genital bleeding and pregnancy.
Duphaston Composition: Dydrogesterone 10mg
Manufactured By: Abbott.
Prescription: Required as it comes under Schedule ‘H’.
Price: Rs. 611.38 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Synthetic hormone.
Uses of Duphaston
Duphaston is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- Endometrial hyperplasia: Used in cases of endometrial hyperplasia.
- Secondary amenorrhea: Used to treat cases like secondary amenorrhea.
- Replacement therapy: Used in cases of hormone replacement therapy.
- Contraception: Used as a means of contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- Uterine bleeding: Used in cases of dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
- Deficiency: Used in cases of dydrogesterone deficiency in pregnancy
- Irregular Menstruation: Used to manage irregular menstrual cycles
- Infertility: Used to treat infertility due to luteal insufficiency
- Miscarriage: Used in cases of repeated miscarriages during pregnancy
How does Duphaston work?
- Duphaston Contains Dydrogesterone as its active ingredient.
- Dydrogesterone works for hormone replacement therapy as it replaces the missing hormone Progesterone (when not synthesised by the body in adequate amounts).
- Progesterone is usually balanced with Estrogen hormone in the body.
How to take Duphaston?
- Duphaston is available in form of tablets.
- Duphaston capsule can be taken by mouth with a glass of water with or without food.
- Tablet should never be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole unless you want to break the tablet into two halves for easy swallowing which can be done by the midline present in the tablet
- There should be evenly spaced time interval between two doses.
- It is mandatory to go through the leaflet in the cover of the drug for proper understanding of drug.
Duphaston Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The condition being treated decides the number of the tablet and the days on which the drug is to be taken
- In case of natural periods, start of bleeding is day 1 of the cycle.
- In case of unnatural periods, the doctor decides the day1 of cycle and when to take the drug.
- The doctor should be consulted properly for dose and case-specific recommendations.
- Dose alteration without medical consultation is to be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Duphaston?
Overdose may lead to symptoms like drowsiness, dizziness or nausea and vomiting. One should immediately consult the doctor or take proper medical help
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Duphaston?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Duphaston?
Expired drug is very unlikely to cause any harm but it is recommended to always consult your doctor in such cases and one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Duphaston?
The effects/results of Duphaston vary with the condition being treated.
Q. Till when does the effect of Duphaston stays?
The patient starts to notice the symptoms getting disappeared after taking Duphaston depending on the condition.
Also read: Domperidone Dosage | Domstal Dosage | Doxinate Dosage
When to Avoid Duphaston?
Do not Consume Duphaston if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Duphaston200 or any of its constituents or variants.
- Genital bleeding: In cases of undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding.
- Underage: It should not be used in adolescent females before the beginning of their menstrual cycle.
- Cancer: In cases of known or suspected history or current manifestation of meningioma.
- Depression: In cases of patients suffering from depression.
- Malabsorption: In case of glucose or galactose malabsorption
- Liver diseases: In cases of history or known liver disease or impairment.
Also read about other medicine's: Doxt SL | Drotaverine | ECONORM
Precautions While Taking Duphaston:
- Liver dysfunction: In cases of liver dysfunction, extra caution is to be taken as Duphaston can affect liver.
- Hypertension: In cases of patients with increased blood pressure.
- Underage: Duphaston is not to be administered to Paediatric patients or patients before the commencement of their menstrual cycle.
Warnings When Taking Duphaston
- Avoid taking Duphaston if you are allergic to it or Dydrogesterone.
- Duphaston may cause spotting or vaginal bleeding in first few days of therapy, immediately consult the doctor in such cases.
- Always complete the prescribed course of medicine
Side-Effects of Duphaston:
Duphaston can cause following side effects:
- Menstrual irregularities (less common)
- Swelling in legs (common)
- Increased blood pressure (less common)
- Yellowing of skin or eyes (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Migraine (less common)
- Nausea (common)
- Tender breast (common)
- Bloating (common)
- Weight gain (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Duphaston?
- In case of any allergic signs like Itching, Nausea, Vomiting
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Duphaston on organs?
Duphaston should be used with caution in patients with liver disease or impairment as it affects the liver.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Duphaston. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Duphaston. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Duphaston
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Duphaston
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Anti epileptics (moderate)
- Rifampicin (mild)
- Nevirapine (mild)
- Anti virals (mild)
- Herbal medicines containing hypericum, valerian root and ginkgo biloba (mild)
3. Effects of Duphaston on Lab Tests
Duphaston does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Duphaston’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergy, liver impairment.
Q. Can I have Duphaston with alcohol?
No, interaction of alcohol with Duphaston is not known. Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Duphaston when pregnant?
Duphaston should be taken during pregnancy only if it is clearly indicated by the doctor. It is advisable to consult the doctor and inform him about your pregnancy or plans of conceiving for any case specific recommendations
Q. Can I have Duphaston when feeding a baby?
It is not advisable to consume Duphaston if you are lactating as it is known to be secreted in human milk and may affect the infant. Always consult the doctor before consuming the drug
Q. Can I drive after taking Duphaston?
It may not necessarily cause drowsiness or dizziness but one should avoid driving if any of the symptoms persists.
Also Read: Dulcoflex Side Effect | Dytor Plus Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Duphaston Composition, Variant and Price
|Duphaston Variants||Duphaston Composition||Duphaston Price (Rs.)|
|Duphaston 10mg||Dydrogesterone 10mg||Rs. 611.38 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Medicine Coupon Code | 1mg Coupons
Substitutes of Duphaston
The following are alternative drugs for Duphaston:
- Jigest 10mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Sanzyme Ltd
- Price- Rs. 226.77
Storage requirements for Duphaston
- The drug should be stored at a temperature below 25o C at a cool place.
- It should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Duphaston
Q. What is Duphaston?
Ans. Duphaston is basically contains Dydrogesterone as its main active ingredient which is a synthetically derived form of Dydrogesterone. Duphaston is used mainly to prevent and treat conditions like repeated miscarriages, dysfunctional bleeding and also a hormone replacement therapy.
Q. What are the uses of Duphaston ?
Ans. Duphaston is used mainly to prevent and treat conditions like repeated miscarriages, dysfunctional bleeding and also a hormone replacement therapy.
Q. What are the side effects of Duphaston ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Duphaston are Menstrual irregularities, Swelling in legs, Increased blood pressure, Yellowing of skin or eyes, Headache
Q. How effective is Duphaston?
Ans. The effects/results of Duphaston vary with the condition being treated.
Q. Should Duphaston be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Duphaston can be taken empty stomach.
Q. Does Duphaston make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Duphaston may cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Duphaston doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses and it also depends on the condition being treated.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Duphaston should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Duphaston.
Q. Does Duphaston effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it does affect the menstrual cycle and one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Duphaston safe for children?
Ans. No, Duphaston should not be administered in children as it is not safe for children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Duphaston?
Ans. Any liver impairment or abnormal genital bleeding is to be taken into consideration before taking Duphaston.
Q. Is Duphaston legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.