Table of Contents
- What is Econorm?
- Uses of Econorm
- How does Econorm work?
- How to take Econorm?
- Econorm Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Econorm?
- Precautions While Taking Econorm:
- Side-Effects of Econorm:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Econorm Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Econorm
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Econorm
- Authored By –
1What is Econorm?
Econorm is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like acute diarrhoea, Inflammatory bowel disease Fungemia and bloating are the commonly seen side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of intestinal perforation and allergic reactions.
Econorm Composition: Saccharomyces Boulardi 250mg
Manufactured By: Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as Over the Counter Drug (OTC).
Form: Capsules and sachet.
Price: Rs 158 for 5 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Probiotic
2Uses of Econorm
Econorm serves a great purpose in the treatment of following conditions:
- Intestines: Used to introduce beneficial active culture of Saccharomyces Boulardi in the large and small intestines.
- Protection: Used to protect the body from pathogenic microorganisms
- Diarrhoea: Used in antibiotic associated diarrhoea
- Infection: Used against Clostridium difficile infection
- HIV: Used to treat HIV/AIDS associated diarrhoea
- Pylori infection: Used to treat H.Pylori infection
- Others: Used to treat other conditions like Blastocytosis and Acute gastroenteritis and Inflammatory bowel disease
3How does Econorm work?
- Econorm contains Saccharomyces Boulardi
- Saccharomyces Boulardi is a species of fungi which acts by inhibiting excessive water and electrolyte secretion in gut.
- Saccharomyces Boulardi is used as a probiotic as it fights the infection of gut and intestine caused by bacteria.
4How to take Econorm?
- Econorm is usually available in capsule form and sachet form.
- Econorm capsule is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water with or immediately after food as it can cause stomach upset if take on empty stomach.
- Econorm capsule should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Econorm sachet should be consumed after mixing it properly in the liquid.
- Complete dose/therapy as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert for correct use.
5Econorm Common Dosage
- Econorm dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose 500-1000mg daily in divided doses after meals for 3-5 days unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- For children up to 14 years of age, a common dose is 2 sachets per day for 3-5 days.
- Consult a paediatrician before administering to children.
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Econorm?
Overdose of Econorm should be avoided and the Medical Staff or the doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Econorm overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Econorm?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Econorm?
The expired dose of Econorm is unlikely to cause any side effects however; one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Econorm?
Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered from same day to 3-4 days of Econorm therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Econorm stays?
The complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also Read about other medicine's Dosage: Drotaverine Dosage | Doxt SL Dosage
6When to Avoid Econorm?
Do not Consume Econorm if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of allergy to any of its constituents.
- Intolerance: In cases of drug intolerance
- Perforation: In cases of intestinal perforation
7Precautions While Taking Econorm:
- Allergy: The drug should not be administered in patients with a history of allergy to its contents
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Econorm
- Avoid concomitant use of Econorm with immunosuppressants
- Econorm can be prescribed with antibiotics to counteract side effects of the antibiotic like oral ulcers and diarrhoea.
8Side-Effects of Econorm:
The side effects associated with Econorm are:
- Flatulence (common)
- Allergic reaction (less common)
- Fungemia (in cases of patients with central venous catheter) (less common)
- Bloating (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
- Nausea (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Econorm?
In case of any allergic signs like itching, redness breathlessness, chest tightness and rashes, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Econorm on organs?
Econorm has shown no harmful effects on organs.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Econorm. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Econorm. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Econorm
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Econorm
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Diflucan (mild)
- Fluconazole (mild)
- Itraconazole (mild)
- Lamisil (mild)
- Sporanox (moderate)
- Terbinafine (mild)
3. Effects of Econorm on Lab Tests
Econorm does not affect any lab tests as such
4. Econorm’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any intestinal perforations.
Q. Can I have Econorm with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Econorm can increase the risk of side effects.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Econorm when pregnant?
Yes, it is safe to be advised to pregnant women but should always be used with caution.
Q. Can I have Econorm when feeding a baby?
Yes, it is safe to consume Econorm for lactating mothers as it has shown no effects on foetus but the doctor should still be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Econorm?
In some cases it may cause dizziness or drowsiness so one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also Read: Doxinate Side Effect | Domstal Side Effect | Domperidone Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Econorm Composition, Variant and Price
|Econorm Variants||Econorm Composition||Econorm Price (Rs.)|
|Econorm 250 Capsule||Saccharomyces Boulardi 250mg||Rs. 170 for 5/pack.|
|Econorm Sachet||Saccharomyces Boulardi 250mg||Rs. 48 for 1/pack|
11Substitutes of Econorm
The following are alternative drugs for Econorm:
- Gnorm Capsule:
- Manufactured by Nouveav Medicament.
- Price- Rs. 113
- Smartnorm 1gm Sachet:
- Manufactured by Virtue remedies.
- Price- Rs. 20
- Zeegut P 1gm Sachet:
- Manufactured by Eris Lifesciences Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 36
- Glutrite 1gm Sachet:
- Manufactured by FDC limited.
- Price- Rs. 10.5
Storage requirements for Econorm
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at cool and dry place.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
Also Read about other medicine's: Dulcoflex | Duphaston | Dytor Plus
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Econorm
Q. What is Econorm?
Ans. Econorm is a multipurpose drug that contains Saccharomyces Boulardi (fungal species) as its main active ingredient. Econorm is used mainly as a probiotic and other conditions like acute diarrhea, Inflammatory bowel disease and antibiotic-associated diarrhoea.
Q. What are the uses of Econorm?
Ans. Econorm is used mainly as a probiotic and other conditions like acute diarrhoea, Inflammatory bowel disease, and antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
Q. What are the side effects of Econorm?
Ans. The most common side effects of Econorm are Flatulence, Allergic reaction, Fungemia (in cases of patients with a central venous catheter), Bloating, Abdominal pain, Nausea
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Econorm to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated, usually one starts to feel recovered from same day to 3-4 days of Econorm therapy.
Q. Should Econorm be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Econorm should not be taken empty stomach as it can cause stomach upset.
Q. Does Econorm make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Econorm may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Econorm doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Econorm toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Econorm should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Econorm.
Q. Does Econorm effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Econorm safe for children?
Ans. Econorm should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Econorm?
Ans. Any intestinal perforation, drug intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Econorm.
Q. Is Econorm legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.