Table of Contents
- 1 What is Eldervit?
- 2 Uses of Eldervit
- 3 How does Eldervit work?
- 4 How to Take Eldervit?
- 5 Common Dosage for Eldervit
- 6 When to avoid Eldervit?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Eldervit
- 8 Side-Effects of Eldervit
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Eldervit – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Substitutes of Eldervit
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Eldervit
What is Eldervit?
Eldervit is a multivitamin formulation containing Vitamin B12, Niacinamide, Folic acid and Vitamin C which can be used as a dietary supplement or for treating Vitamin deficiency and symptoms associated with it. Eldervit is available as combipack in injection form.
Eldervit Composition – Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) – 2500mcg, Folic acid – 0.7mg, Vitamin C – 150mg, Niacinamide – 12mg
Manufactured by – Elder Pharmaceuticals
Prescription– Prescription is required
Form – Ampule for injection
Price – Rs. 20.55
Type of Drug –Multivitamin
Uses of Eldervit
Eldervit is used as a nutritional supplement in various cases of deficiency of multivitamins or in cases where there is an increased requirement of above-mentioned vitamins. It is commonly used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Pernicious anemia (deficiency of vitamin B12)
- Megaloblastic anemia (deficiency of folic acid)
- Scurvy (deficiency of Vitamin C)
- Patients with an impaired dietary intake like severe alcoholics, elderly
- Patients with diabetes mellitus, those recovering from surgery
- Muscle cramps
- Weak nails
- Micro nutritional deficiency in Pregnancy (deficiency of folic acid, vitamin B complex)
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Paraesthesia (deficiency of vitamin B 12 and B 6)
- To boost immunity
Read About: Diabetone Uses
How does Eldervit work?
- All the above-mentioned ingredients of Eldervit capsule are water-soluble vitamins which are not present in significant amounts in our body stores, thus a regular and adequate uptake of these vitamins is necessary to undertake all the metabolic demands of the body.
- Vitamin B-Complex and vitamin C function as cofactors of various enzymes in the body which regulate carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism.
- Deficiencies of these vitamins may be subclinical initially but if it is not corrected on time, it may manifest as various diseases and symptoms, including impaired wound healing and increased susceptibility to infection. Thus these capsules prevent such deficiencies and allow normal body functioning.
Also Know: Emeset Tablet Composition
How to Take Eldervit?
Eldervit is available in injection form for parenteral administration. It should be administered by a health care professional in the dose as advised.
Common Dosage for Eldervit
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Ideally administered once a day or once a week as advised by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Eldervit?
Eldervit should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause some side effects. In case of overdosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Eldervit?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I administer expired Eldervit?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Eldervit?
You should start to feel recovered within one to three days following treatment with Eldervit. If no improvement is observed within 7 days, consult your doctor.
Q. Till when does the effect of Eldervit stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is not clinically established.
Also Read: Ivoral Tablet Dosage
When to avoid Eldervit?
Eldervit should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Eldervit.
- Liver Disease – Patients with severe liver disease must consult the physician before use.
- Kidney disease – Patients with severe kidney disease or on dialysis must consult the physician before use.
Precautions While Taking Eldervit
Inform your doctor about all the current list of medicines, over the counter products, allergies, and pre-existing health conditions before you start taking Eldervit injection.
Side-Effects of Eldervit
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Upset stomach (common and temporary)
- Constipation (common)
- Restlessness (less common)
- Flushing (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Allergic reactions (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Eldervit?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Eldervit on organs?
Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution. Dose adjustment might be needed in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Eldervit. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Eldervit
No interactions observed with any food products.
2. Medicines Interactions with Eldervit
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Arsenic trioxide (moderate)
- Phenobarbital (moderate)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (moderate)
3. Effects of Eldervit on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Eldervit.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Eldervit.
Q. Can I have Eldervit with alcohol?
Interaction of Eldervit with alcohol is unknown.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Eldervit acts as a nutritional supplement. No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Eldervit when pregnant?
Eldervit should be used with caution in pregnant ladies. Always consult your doctor first. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Eldervit when feeding a baby?
There is no evidence as of whether ingredients of Eldervit are excreted in human breast milk or not thus it should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Eldervit?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache or dizziness then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Eldervit – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Eldervit Variants||Eldervit Composition||Eldervit Price|
|Eldervit Capsule||Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C||Rs. 15|
|Eldervit ZS Capsule||Folic Acid, Methylcobalamin, Grape seed extract, Mixed Carotene with minerals||Rs. 121|
Buy Smart & Save Money: 1mg | Practo | Netmeds Coupons | Medlife Coupons
Substitutes of Eldervit
The following are alternative drugs for Eldervit:
- Vitcofal C injection
- Manufactured by – FDC Limited
- Price – Rs. 11.9
- I Vit 12 Injection
- Manufactured by – Torrent pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 18.6
Storage requirements for Eldervit
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Know About: Dianuron Plus Tablet Price | Donepezil Price | Emcoril Syrup Price
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Eldervit
Q. What is Eldervit?
Eldervit is a multivitamin formulation containing Vitamin B12, Niacinamide, Folic acid and Vitamin C which can be used as a dietary supplement or for treating Vitamin deficiency and symptoms associated with it.
Q. What are the uses of Eldervit?
Eldervit is used in the prevention of Pernicious anemia, Megaloblastic anemia, Scurvy, ü Muscle cramps, Weak nails, and Cardiovascular diseases.
Q. What are the side effects of Eldervit?
Side Effects of Eldervit Include Upset stomach, Constipation, Restlessness, Flushing, Headache, and Allergic reactions,
Q. Should Eldervit be taken on an empty stomach?
Eldervit can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Eldervit make you drowsy?
Eldervit usually does not cause any drowsiness.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Eldervit doses?
Eldervit is usually administered as a single daily or single weekly dose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for the complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Eldervit effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Eldervit does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Eldervit safe for children?
Eldervit is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Eldervit?
Patients with a history of allergic reaction to any of the ingredients of Eldervit should use it with caution.
Q. Is Eldervit legal in India?
Yes, Eldervit is legal on India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.