Table of Contents
- What is Eldoper?
- Uses of Eldoper
- How does Eldoper work?
- How to take Eldoper?
- Common Dosage for Eldoper
- When to Avoid Eldoper?
- Precautions While Taking Eldoper
- Side-Effects of Eldoper
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Eldoper Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Eldoper
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Eldoper
- Authored by –
1What is Eldoper?
Used mainly to treat Diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disorders. Intestinal paralysis and severe stomach ache are the major side effects seen at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of acute colitis and allergic cases.
Eldoper Composition: Loperamide Hydrochloride
Manufactured By: Micro Labs Ltd
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC
Form: Tablets and Capsules.
Price: Rs. 24 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antidiarrheal
2Uses of Eldoper
Eldoper is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Diarrhoea: Used to treat diarrhoea like Traveller’s diarrhoea.
- Bloating: Used to treat bloating.
- Nausea: Used to treat and manage nausea.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Used to treat inflammatory bowel disease.
- GI Disorders: Used to treat gastrointestinal disorders.
- Ileostomy: Used in cases of Ileostomy (surgical operation to cut and divert end of ileum in the abdominal wall).
- Others: Used to treat other conditions like sleepiness, loss of consciousness and headache and discomfort.
Also Read: Enterogermina Uses | Enteroquinol Uses | Enzoflam Uses
3 How does Eldoper work?
- Eldoper Contains Loperamide as its main active ingredient.
- Eldoper helps to slow down the gut wall movement and thereby decreases bowel movements and prevents excess water expulsion from the bowel and makes the stool less watery.
- Hence, Eldoper also prevents excess water loss from the body (dehydration).
4 How to take Eldoper?
- Eldoper is usually available in the form of tablets and suspension form.
- Eldoper tablet is taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after food.
- Eldoper Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Eldoper Tablet should be taken with an equal time interval between two doses if consumed more than once a day.
- When consuming Eldoper syrup, always shake the bottle well before consuming the drug.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5 Common Dosage for Eldoper
- Eldoper dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Eldoper for children above 12 years of age and older is 16mg maximum dose per day in divided doses.
- For Children of 9-11 years of age, maximum dose is 6mg per day
- The dose can be altered by the doctor depending on the condition or response by the patient.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Eldoper?
Overdose of Eldoper can cause undesirable effects like dizziness, lethargy and confusion etc. and can also lead to complications in few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Eldoper?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Eldoper?
Expired Eldoper might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Eldoper and till when does the effect of Eldoper stays?
- The effect of Eldoper can be seen within first 1-3 of consuming the Eldoper therapy.
- Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Check these out: Enzomac Dosage | Ethamsylate Dosage | Etizolam Dosage
6 When to Avoid Eldoper?
Do not Consume Eldoper if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Eldoper or any other NSAIDs or any of its constituents.
- Infectious Diarrhoea: In cases of patients with infectious diarrhoea, as it may worsen the condition.
- Acute colitis: In cases of acute colitis.
- Constipation: In cases of Constipation, as it may aggravate the condition.
7Precautions While Taking Eldoper
- Allergy: Eldoper should be avoided in known cases of allergy.
- Antibiotic Induced Diarrhea: The drug should be avoided in such cases as it may worsen the condition.
Warnings When Taking Eldoper
- Avoid consuming Eldoper empty stomach as it may lead to gastric irritation.
- Avoid the drug if you notice blood in stools.
8 Side-Effects of Eldoper
The side effects associated with Eldoper are:
- Allergic skin reaction (less common)
- Constipation (common)
- Loss of appetite (common)
- Paralytic ileus (paralysis of intestine due to blockage because of prolonged use of Eldoper) (less common)
- Severe Stomach ache (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Eldoper?
- Eldoper is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, Itchy skin.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Eldoper on organs?
Eldoper should used with caution in patients with liver impairment as it can worsen the condition.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Eldoper. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Eldoper. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Eldoper
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Eldoper
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physicianout of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Clarithromycin (severe)
- Quinidine (severe)
- Ranitidine (severe)
- Ketaconazole (severe)
3. Effects of Eldoper on Lab Tests
Eldoper does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Eldoper’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergic reaction or infective diarrhoea.
Q. Can I have Eldoper with alcohol?
No, alcohol consumption with Eldoper may cause drowsiness. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Eldoper.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Eldoper when pregnant?
No, as it is known to cause placental barrier and causing harm to foetus. Always inform the doctor before taking Eldoper in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Eldoper when feeding a baby?
No, Lactating mothers should avoid using Eldoper as it is possible for the drug to be excreted in breast milk. Therefore, the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Eldoper?
Eldoper might cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in some patients and one must avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Also Read about other medicine's: Eltroxin | Ecosprin 75
10 Buyer’s Guide – Eldoper Composition, Variant and Price
|Eldoper Variants||Eldoper Composition||Eldoper Price|
|Eldoper 2mg Capsule||Loperamide 2mg||Rs. 35.34 for 10 capsules|
|Eldoper 30ml suspension||Loperamide 2mg/5ml||Rs. 400 for 1 pack.|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pinhealth Medicines | Practo Medicines
11Substitutes of Eldoper
The following are alternative drugs for Eldoper:
- Imodium 2mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by – J & J
- Price – Rs.
- Lopox 2mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Shalman
- Price – Rs. 7.5
- Roko Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 19.42
- Lodpar Capsule:
- Manufactured by – General
- Price – Rs. 2.60
Storage requirements for Eldoper
- Store the Eldoper tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Eldoper
Q. What is Eldoper?
Ans. Eldoper is an antidiarrhoeal drug that contains Loperamide as its active ingredient and helps to improve diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal problems.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Eldoper to show results?
Ans.The effect of Eldoper can be seen within 1-3 hours of administration of the drug.
Q. Should Eldoper be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans.No, Eldoper should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Eldoper make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Eldoper may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Eldoper doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Eldoper should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Eldoper.
Q. Does Eldoper effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Eldoper safe for children?
Ans. Eldoper is not safe for children below 9 years of age and should be administered in children only after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Eldoper?
Ans. Any heart problems or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Eldoper.
Q. Is Eldoper legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.