Skip to Content
- Is Elocon Addictive?
- Can I have Elocon with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Elocon When Pregnant?
- Can I have Elocon when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Elocon?
- What happens if I overdose on Elocon?
- What happens if I use expired Elocon?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Elocon?
Elocon Composition – Mometasone furoate 0.1 %W/W
Manufactured By – Fulford India Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Cream
Price – Rs 196
Quantity – 10 gm in 1 tube
What is Elocon?
Elocon is a topical steroid medication which contains Mometasone 0.1% as its chief ingredient.
Manufactured By – Fulford India Ltd
Other variants and compositions
|Elocon Cream / Ointment / Lotion||Mometasone (1mg)|
Buy & Get 20% Off using Netmeds Coupons | Medlife Coupons | Pharmeasy Coupons
Uses of Elocon
It is used to relieve redness and itching associated with severe forms of allergic reactions and inflammatory skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
How does Elocon work?
Elocon contains mometasone that acts inside the skin cells and reduces the chemicals in the body that causes inflammation and also reduce immune responses in the body.
Elocon Price in India
|Fulford Elocon 10gm Cream||Rs 196|
|Fulford Elocon 30gm Cream||Rs 392|
How to Take Elocon?
- It is always advised for the user to read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by the pharmacist and further queries must be solved with your doctor or pharmacist
- Elocon must be applied in a thin layer and evenly to the skin as prescribed by your physician. The initial dose is usually once or twice a day
- Clean and dry the area on which Elocon has to be used. Hands should be properly washed before and after applying Elocon. The area treated with Elocon should not be washed immediately after cream application
- The use of Elocon should be continued as long as recommended by the doctor
- Do not use the cream or ointment on your face for more than 5 days
- Do not apply the cream or ointment to children, on any part of their body, for more than 5 days
- Do not put Elocon under your child’s nappy, as this may possibly cause some unwanted effects
- Do not use in or around your eyes, including eye-lids
Common Dosage For Elocon?
The drug dosage and form is decided by the physician based upon:
- age and body weight of the patient
- health status/medical condition of the patient
- disease severity
- reaction to the first dose
- history of allergy/drug reactions
Elocon is usually applied over the affected area 1 or 2 times daily for no more than 4 weeks at a time.
When to Avoid Elocon?
- The use of Elocon should be avoided if you are allergic to Mometasone or any other ingredients present in Elocon
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in wounded or infected areas of skin, unless the infection is also being treated
- Elocon should not be applied on the face unless advised by your physician
- If you have a history of allergy after taking steroid medication
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in children less than 1 year of age
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in viral skin infections, such as herpes simplex infection, chickenpox
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in fungal skin infections, such as thrush, athlete’s foot
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in acne & acne rosacea
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in widespread plaque psoriasis
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in nappy rashes
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in case of warts
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in itchy skin with no inflammation
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in inflammatory rashes around the mouth
- The use of Elocon should be avoided in genital itching
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- The drugs that can possibly interfere with Elocon are –
- vigabatran (used for the treatment of epilepsy)
- ritonovir (anti-HIV drug)
- itraconazole (anti-fungal drug)
- If you need to use other drugs on same area of skin it is advisable to leave a gap of few minutes between each application so as to avoid mixing of two drugs
- If you need to use a moisturiser, it is advisable to apply it 30 minutes before applying Elocon so as to soften the skin surface and allow enhanced absorption of Elocon
- Please note that application of moisturiser just before/after application of Elocon can dilute the drug and decrease its effectiveness
Side-effects of Elocon?
Side effects are commonly seen if Elocon is used on extensive areas of skin, wounded skin, face, armpits or skin folds(areas that rub together), or under airtight dressings or if it is used for a very long period of time. The possible side-effects are –
- Rashes, red itchy bumps on skin or burning sensation on applying
- Increase or aggravation of infections
- Thinning of the skin
- Decreased skin pigmentation
- Stretch marks
- Tiny blood vessels cause threadlike red lines or patterns on the skin (telangiectasia).
- Excessive hair growth
- In rare occasions, Elocon can get absorbed in high amounts and can cause side effects on other parts of the body
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Possible allergic reactions reported are rashes, itching, swelling around lips, face and throat, and red, itchy bumps on skin.
Effects/Results After Consuming Elocon
The time taken for Elocon to show its effect depends upon the condition being treated.
Storage Requirements for Elocon
- Keep Elocon in its tube until time to use it
- Keep Elocon in a cool, dry place where it stays below 30°C
- Keep Elocon out of direct sunlight
- Do not store Elocon or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink
- Do not leave it on a window sill or in the car
- This medicine should be disposed of 3 months after first opening
- Do not use the cream if any visible signs of deterioration, such as noticeable changes in color, are observed
Pro Tips When Taking Elocon –
- Never discontinue or initiate or alter the drug dose unless advised by your physician
- Avoid contact with eyes, mouth or nose. It is advisable to rinse with cold water in case of an accidental contact
- Before applying Elocon, you must wash your hands thoroughly
- Never cover the area being treated with bandage or any other airtight dressing unless advised by the physician
- Elocon should not be applied near flammable objects like gas or electric fires
- Do not smoke while applying
- Elocon can cause skin thinning if applied for a very long time
Is Elocon Addictive?
Can I have Elocon with alcohol?
No. Please inform your physician before consuming alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Do not smoke while applying Elocon.
Can I have Elocon When Pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Elocon should be used in pregnant females only after assessing the potential benefit risk ration to the mother and foetus
Can I have Elocon when feeding a baby?
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child
- Elocon should be avoided in breastfeeding women as it can appear in human milk and can inhibit growth and cause other untoward effects
Can I drive after taking Elocon?
Elocon does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Elocon?
If you have applied an over-dose, it is advisable to wash it with cold water and contact your consulting physician.
What happens if I use expired Elocon?
- It is very unlikely for a single dose of expired Elocon to produce an adverse event. However, it is advisable to wash it with cold water and contact your consulting physician after applying an expired medicine
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Elocon?
- If you forget to use Elocon, apply it as soon as you remember and then continue as before
- Do not apply extra Elocon to make up for missed doses