Table of Contents
- What is Eltroxin?
- Uses of Eltroxin
- Eltroxin Price in India
- How to Take Eltroxin?
- Common Dosage for Eltroxin
- Precautions – When to Avoid Eltroxin
- Side-effects of Eltroxin
- What effects does Eltroxin have on organs
- Reported Allergic Reactions:
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In
- Storage of Eltroxin
- Pro Tips When Taking Eltroxin
- Is Eltroxin Addictive?
- Can I have Eltroxin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Eltroxin When Pregnant?
- Can I have Eltroxin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Eltroxin?
- What happens if I overdose on Eltroxin?
- What happens if I take expired Eltroxin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Eltroxin?
Eltroxin Composition – Thyroxine / Levothyroxine (100mcg)
Manufactured By – Glaxo Smithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 125.1
Quantity – 100 tablets in 1 bottle
What is Eltroxin?
- Eltroxin contains Levothyroxine 100mcg as its chief ingredient.
- Levothyroxine is comparable to natural thyroid hormones produced in the human thyroid gland.
- Eltroxin contains Levothyroxine which is basically a synthetic thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid hormones control numerous metabolic processes in the body and play a vital role in growth and development, and normal maturation of bone and central nervous system.
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Eltroxin in Hindi
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Uses of Eltroxin
- Eltroxin is used as replacement or supplemental therapy in congenital or acquired hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
Eltroxin Price in India
|25 mcg Bottle of 60 Tablets||Rs 78.2|
|50 mcg Bottle of 100 Tablets||Rs 72.64|
|75 mcg Bottle of 60 Tablets||Rs 81.98|
|88 mcg Bottle of 60 Tablets||Rs 84.29|
|100 mcg Bottle of 100 Tablets||Rs 120.96|
How to Take Eltroxin?
- The dosage and duration of this medication should be taken as advised by the doctor.
- The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to therapy.
- Eltroxin comes in the form of tablets to be taken by mouth.
- Eltroxin should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach, at least one-half hour before eating any food. No food item should be taken 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking this medicine.
- Wait for minimum 4 hours before taking any antacids, multivitamin/calcium/iron supplements.
- It is very important that you take the tablet with a full glass of water
- Eltroxin should be used only as prescribed by your physician.
- Never change the drug regimen without consulting your physician.
Common Dosage for Eltroxin
- Dosage is usually based on patient’s age, body weight, cardiovascular status, concomitant medical conditions, including pregnancy, concomitant medications, and the specific nature of the condition being treated.
- The recommended starting dose for adults is 50 – 100 mcg/day which may be increased up to 100-200 micrograms daily.
Also Read other medicine's Dosage: Eldoper Dosage | Ecosprin 75 Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Eltroxin
- Eltroxin should not be used in patients with a history of allergy to any of the inactive ingredients in Eltroxin tablets.
- Eltroxin should not be used in patients with untreated subclinical or overt thyrotoxicosis of any cause
- Eltroxin should not be used in patients with acute myocardial infarction.
- Eltroxin should not be used in patients with uncorrected adrenal insufficiency
- Eltroxin should not be used in the treatment of male or female infertility unless this condition is associated with hypothyroidism.
- Exercise caution when administering Eltroxin to patients with heart diseases and to the elderly in whom there is an increased risk of undiagnosed heart disease.
- In patients suffering from diabetes and clotting disorders.
Side-effects of Eltroxin
Side-effects associated with Eltroxin therapy include the following:
- Lethargy, weakness, bigger appetite, loss of weight, difficulty in tolerating heat, fever, profuse sweating
- headache, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, irritability, emotional liability, sleeplessness;
- Musculoskeletal: tremors, muscle weakness;
- Heart related – Palpitations, increased heartbeat, altered rhythm, increased pulse and blood pressure, heart failure, chest pain, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;
- Pulmonary: difficulty in breathing
- Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps;
- Hair loss, flushing of skin
- Reproductive: menstrual irregularities, impaired fertility.
- Overtreatment may result in compromised adult height in children.
- Seizures have been reported rarely.
In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
What effects does Eltroxin have on organs
- There is limited information available on the use of Eltroxin tablet in patients suffering from liver / kidney disease.
- Kindly consult your physician for case-specific recommendations.
Reported Allergic Reactions:
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Allergic reactions to inactive ingredients have occurred in patients treated with thyroid hormone products. These include itching, skin rash, flushing, swelling, various GI symptoms (abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), fever, pain in joints and wheezing.
- Hypersensitivity to levothyroxine itself is not known to occur.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here
- Eltroxinmay interact with the following drugs and products:
- carbamazepine, phenytoin, primidone and barbiturates
- medicines containing calcium salts
- proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and pantoprazole
- cholestyramine and colestipol
- polystyrene sulphone resin
- iron supplements
- beta blockers medicines
- oestrogen containing medicines
- androgen containing medicines
- anti-diabetic drugs
- tricyclic antidepressants
- adrenaline or phenylephrine
- ketamine – used as an anaesthetic.
Shows Effects / Results In
- It may take several weeks before you notice an improvement in your symptoms.
- Do not stop taking the drug without consulting your doctor.
Storage of Eltroxin
- Keep your tablets in the blisters until it is time to take them. If you take the tablets out of the blisters they may not keep well.
- Keep Eltroxin tablets in a cool dry place away from light.
Pro Tips When Taking Eltroxin
- Do not change the brand of medicine without informing your doctor.
- You must get your thyroid hormone and TSH levels monitored on a regular basis.
- This is generally a lifelong medication. Do not stop taking the drug without doctor’s consent.
Other medicine's: Enterogermina | Enteroquinol | Enzoflam
Is Eltroxin Addictive?
- No. However self-medication and dependence to these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Eltroxin with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while taking Eltroxin.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
The following food products should be avoided –
- Soybean flour (infant formula),
- cotton seed meal,
- and dietary fibre
Can I have Eltroxin When Pregnant?
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
- The possibility of foetal harm appears remote in women taking Eltroxin during pregnancy.
Can I have Eltroxin when feeding a baby?
- Inform your doctor if you are a lactating mother.
- Caution should be exercised when Eltroxin is administered to a nursing woman.
Can I drive after taking Eltroxin?
Eltroxin generally doesn’t affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Eltroxin?
- Immediately inform your doctor if you happen to over-dose on Eltroxin.
- The signs of overdose (fever, chest pain, racing or irregular heartbeat, muscle cramps, headache, restlessness, flushing, sweating and diarrhoea) can take up to 5 days to appear.
What happens if I take expired Eltroxin?
- Taking a single dose may not cause any major adverse effect
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Eltroxin?
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it
- If it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take a double dose