Table of Contents
- 1 What is Emcoril?
- 2 Uses of Emcoril
- 3 How does Emcoril work?
- 4 How to Take Emcoril?
- 5 Common Dosage for Emcoril
- 6 When to Avoid Emcoril?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Emcoril
- 8 Side-Effects of Emcoril
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Emcoril – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
- 11 Substitutes of Emcoril
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Emcoril
What is Emcoril?
Emcoril is a cough syrup used for the treatment of cough, sore throat, and other related bronchopulmonary (associated with lungs) diseases. It is always better to use Emcoril under medical supervision as advised as it may lead to adverse effects like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and palpitations.
Emcoril Composition – Guaifenesin – 50mg/5ml, Ambroxol – 15mg/5ml, Levosalbutamol – 0.5mg/5ml
Manufactured By – Emcure pharmaceuticals
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Syrup
Price – Rs. 80
Type of Drug –cough syrup
Uses of Emcoril
Emcoril can be used in treatment or prevention of following diseases or symptoms:
- Common cold
- Chest congestion
- Acute sore throat
- Constriction of airways
- Lungs inflammation
How does Emcoril work?
- Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent that breaks down sputum’s mucopolysaccharide fibers & makes the mucous thin and loose thus making it easier in coughing out.
- Guaifenesin is an expectorant which is used to increase bronchial secretion (sputum) or reduce its viscosity, facilitating its removal by coughing.
- Levosalbutamol acts as a bronchodilator and helps in relaxing the muscles involved in airway thus facilitating easier breathing.
How to Take Emcoril?
- Emcoril Syrup may be taken with or without food or as advised but it is always advisable to take it at a fixed time.
- Drink plenty of fluids while using this medication as it will help loosen the mucus and thus its easier removal.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication-measuring device and not a household spoon should be used.
- Shake the bottle well before each use.
Common Dosage for Emcoril
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Emcoril cough syrup can be taken twice or thrice a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. For best results, it should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- Children below 12 years of age should use it with caution.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Emcoril?
Emcoril should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Emcoril?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Emcoril?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Emcoril?
You should start to feel recovered within one to three days following treatment with Emcoril syrup. If no improvement is observed within 7 days, consult your doctor.
Q. Till When Does the Effect of Emcoril Stay?
Emcoril is a cough syrup which is used as an adjunct to the main therapy. The effect of Emcoril cannot be predicted.
Also Read: Diabetone Dosage | Emeset Tablet Dosage
When to Avoid Emcoril?
Emcoril should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Emcoril.
- Liver Disease – Patients with severe liver disease must consult the physician before use.
- Kidney disease – Patients with severe kidney disease or on dialysis must consult the physician before use.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women – Pregnant and breastfeeding women must consult the physician before the use of Emcoril.
Precautions While Taking Emcoril
- Emcoril may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Avoid doing things which require constant mental attention.
- Patients with heart disease and thyroid disorder should use Emcoril under medical supervision.
Read More: Donepezil Precaution | Eldervit Precaution | Erady Tablet Precaution
Side-Effects of Emcoril
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Lightheadedness (common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Loss of appetite (less common)
- Stomach ache (less common)
- Increased heart rate (less common)
- Tremors (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Emcoril?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Emcoril on organs?
No adverse effects observed on any organ while taking Emcoril. Patients with pre-existing liver and kidney disease should use it with caution.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Emcoril. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Emcoril
No particular food item to be avoided apart from alcohol as it may cause liver damage and may increase the incidence of dizziness.
2. Medicines Interactions with Emcoril
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Carvedilol (moderate)
- Timolol (moderate)
- Sotalol (moderate)
- Bendrofluazide (mild)
- Dicumarol (mild)
3. Effects of Emcoril on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Emcoril.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Emcoril.
Q. Can I have Emcoril with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Emcoril as it might increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness & calmness.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Emcoril when pregnant?
Emcoril may be unsafe to use in pregnant patients as it may cause damage to foetus. However, if the benefits outweigh the risks involved, it can be administered to pregnant patients under medical supervision.
Q. Can I have Emcoril when feeding a baby?
There is no evidence as of whether ingredients of Emcoril cough syrup are excreted in human breast milk or not thus it should be used with caution in lactating mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Emcoril?
If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness or decrease in blood pressure, then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Emcoril – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Emcoril Variants||Emcoril Composition||Emcoril Price|
|Chlorpheniramine maleate (4mg/5ml)+ Dextromethorphan hydrobromide(10mg/5ml)||Rs. 70|
Buy & Get 30% Discount: 1mg Coupons | Practo Coupons | Netmeds Offers
Substitutes of Emcoril
The following are alternative drugs for Emcoril:
- Ascoril LS
- Manufactured by – Glenmark Pharmaceutical
- Price – Rs. 94.5
- Bro Zedez LS
- Manufactured by – Wockhardt
- Price – Rs. 100
- Kufri LS
- Manufactured by – Med Manor Organics
- Price – Rs. 86
Storage requirements for Emcoril
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Emcoril
Q. What is Emcoril?
Emcoril is a cough syrup used for the treatment of cough, sore throat, and other related bronchopulmonary (associated with lungs) diseases.
Q. What are the uses of Emcoril?
Emcoril can be used in the prevention of common cold, cough, chest congestion, acute sore throat, and asthma.
Q. Should Emcoril be taken on an empty stomach?
Emcoril can be taken empty stomach as well as after food.
Q. Does Emcoril make you drowsy?
Yes. It does make you drowsy and less oriented.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Emcoril doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Emcoril.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Emcoril effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Emcoril does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Emcoril safe for children?
Emcoril is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Emcoril?
Patients with history of allergy to Emcoril and its ingredients should not use it. Emcoril should also not be used with beta blockers.
Q. Is Emcoril legal in India?
Yes, Emcoril Legal is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.