Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Emeset?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Emeset?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Emeset?
- Q. What is the onset time of Emeset?
- Q. Till when does the effect of Emeset stay?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Emeset?
- What are the effects of Emeset on organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Emeset
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Emeset
- 3. Effects of Emeset on Lab Tests
- 4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Emeset with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Emeset when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Emeset when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Emeset?
- Storage requirements for Emeset
- Q. What is Emeset?
- Q. What are the uses of Emeset?
- Q. What are the side effects of Emeset?
- Q. Should Emeset be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Emeset make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Emeset doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Emeset effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Emeset safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Emeset?
- Q. Is Emeset legal in India?
What is Emeset?
Emeset belongs to a group of drugs called “anti-emetics” which are used for the treatment and prevention of nausea and vomiting. The active ingredient of Emeset is Ondansetron which is available in tablet (2mg, 4mg, 8mg), syrup (2mg/5ml) and injection forms (2mg/ml). Emeset should always be administered under medical supervision as it may lead to common adverse effects like constipation and headache.
Emeset Composition – Ondansetron – 2mg,4mg,8mg (depending upon the strength of the tablet administered)
Manufactured By – Cipla Ltd
Prescription– Prescription needed
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs. 49.28
Type of Drug –Anti-emetic
Uses of Emeset
Emeset can be used in the prevention, control, and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Chemotherapy induced vomiting
- Radiotherapy induced vomiting
- Post operative nausea and vomiting
- Emeset can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How does Emeset work?
- Emeset contains Ondansetron as its active ingredient. Ondansetron works by blocking 5 HT3 receptors and thus inhibiting serotonin (one of the chemical messengers that trigger nausea and vomiting).
- Vomiting due to motion sickness is not suppressed by Ondem. It is more useful for radiotherapy/ chemotherapy-induced vomiting and post operative vomiting.
How to Take Emeset?
- Emeset is available in tablet and syrup form for oral use and in parenteral (injection) form.
- Emeset is well absorbed orally and should be taken half an hour before the meals. The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- In case of orally disintegrating tablets, place the tablet on top of the tongue where it will dissolve on its own and then swallow. Administration with water is not necessary.
- If administered in injection (Intravenous) form, it should be applied by a qualified professional following a test dose to rule out allergy.
- Parenteral (injection) form should be discontinued as soon as patient can start oral therapy.
Common Dosage for Emeset
The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The recommended dose for Ondem in adults is 8mg administered 30 minutes before the start of chemotherapy followed by 8mg every 8 hourly after the first dose.
- Following chemotherapy, 8mg twice a day can be administered for another 1-2 days.
- In case if you vomit within half an hour of oral administration of Ondem, take one more dose again.
- Patients with kidney and liver disease must use it with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Emeset?
Emeset should not be administered in more than prescribed dose. Taking increased dose will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects like constipation. In case of over dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Emeset?
The potency of the medicine may decrease because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times. Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it’s already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Emeset?
The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicine gets affected. Please inform your physician regarding the same. To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired medicine.
Q. What is the onset time of Emeset?
The onset of action of Emeset starts within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration
Q. Till when does the effect of Emeset stay?
The duration of time for which the medicine remains effective is 8-12 hours.
When to avoid Emeset?
Emeset should not be used in the following conditions:
- Allergy – if the patient is allergic to any of the components present in Emeset.
- Liver Disease – Patients with severe liver disease must consult the physician before use.
- Kidney disease – Patients with severe kidney disease or on dialysis must consult the physician before use.
- Patients with heart disease (esp prolonged QT interval).
Precautions While Taking Emeset
Patients with heart disease or previous history of heart disease should use Emeset with caution as Prolonged QT interval has been reported in patients administering Emeset for a longer duration.
Also Read: Iinezolid Precaution
Side-Effects of Emeset
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. Few patients might show side effects which include:
- Headache (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Fatigue (less common)
- Dry mouth (less common)
- Low blood pressure (fainting)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Flushing (sense of warmth in face) (rare)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Emeset?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Rash (common)
- Itching (common)
- Shortness of breath (less common)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (rare)
- Loss of consciousness (rare)
What are the effects of Emeset on organs?
Emeset should be used cautiously in patients with severe liver and kidney disease. In such cases, dose adjustment as advised by the doctor may also be needed.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. Interactions are not just limited to drugs, but certain food items and some laboratory tests which should not be taken right after consuming Emeset. We explore these in details below.
1. Food Interactions with Emeset
No interaction observed with any food products.
2. Medicines Interactions with Emeset
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. It may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Carbamazepine (moderate)
- Apomorphine (severe)
- Amiodarone (severe)
- Amitriptyline (severe)
3. Effects of Emeset on Lab Tests
No effect on any lab tests noted while taking Emeset.
4. Interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients suffering from pre-existing liver and kidney diseases must consult their physician before consuming Emeset.
Q. Can I have Emeset with alcohol?
Interaction of Emeset with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor before administration.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Q. Can I have Emeset when pregnant?
Emeset is safe to use during pregnancy however it should only be used when clearly needed. Always communicate with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations
Q. Can I have Emeset when feeding a baby?
Nursing mothers are advised to use Emeset with caution as the drug may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby. Always inform your doctor before if you are breast-feeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Emeset?
Emeset usually does not affect your ability to drive. However, If one experiences side effects like drowsiness, headache, dizziness or changes in blood pressure, then it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
Emeset – Composition, Variant, and Price– Buyer’s Guide
|Emeset Variants||Emeset Composition||Emeset Price|
|Emeset syrup||Ondansetron 2mg||Rs. 35.33|
|Emeset injection||Ondansetron 2mg/ml||Rs. 23.79|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Medlife Offers | Pharmeasy Offers
Substitutes of Emeset
The following are alternative drugs for Emeset:
- Manufactured by – Alkem Pharma
- Price – Rs. 49.27
- Manufactured by – Ipca Laboratories
- Price – Rs. 67.9
Storage requirements for Emeset
- Storage at room temperature away from direct light and heat unless mentioned in the package insert.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Emeset
Q. What is Emeset?
Emeset belongs to a group of drugs called “anti-emetics” which are used for the treatment and prevention of nausea and vomiting. The active ingredient of Emeset is Ondansetron which is available in tablet (2mg, 4mg, 8mg), syrup (2mg/5ml) and injection forms (2mg/ml).
Q. What are the uses of Emeset?
Emeset is used in the prevention of Nausea, Vomiting, and Post operative nausea and vomiting.
Q. What are the side effects of Emeset?
Most of the patients don’t show any side effects but few might show which include Headache, Constipation, Fatigue, and Dry mouth.
Q. Should Emeset be taken on an empty stomach?
Emeset should be taken empty stomach.
Q. Does Emeset make you drowsy?
No. it does not make you drowsy.
Q. What should be the time gap between the intakes of two Emeset doses?
There should be a time gap of at least 8-12 hours between two doses of Emeset.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
A complete course prescribed by your doctor must be taken for a complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Q. Does Emeset effect my menstrual cycle?
No, Emeset does not affect your menstrual cycle.
Q. Is Emeset safe for children?
Emeset is safe for consumption in children above 12 years of age. Children below 12 years should use it with caution.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Emeset?
Patients with a history of allergy to Emeset and its ingredients should not use it. Emeset should also not be used with Apomorphine.
Q. Is Emeset legal in India?
Yes, Emeset is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug