Table of Contents
- 1 What is Encorate?
- 2 Uses of Encorate
- 3 How does Encorate work?
- 4 How to take Encorate?
- 5 Price of Encorate in India
- 6 Common dosage of Encorate
- 7 When to avoid Encorate & Precautions to take?
- 8 Side Effects of Encorate
- 9 Effect on organs?
- 10 Reported allergic reactions?
- 11 Drug interactions to be careful about?
- 12 Shows effects
- 13 Storage Requirements for Encorate
- 14 Pro Tips when taking Encorate
- 15 FAQS
- 16 Is Encorate addictive?
- 17 Can I have Encorate with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Encorate when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Encorate when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Encorate?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Encorate?
- 23 What happens if I eat expired Encorate?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Encorate?
Encorate Composition – Sodium Valproate (200mg)
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 32.54
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Encorate?
- Encorate is an anticonvulsant, used to control seizures and migraine headaches.
- This medicine also stops migraine headaches and treats manic low mood (depression).
Uses of Encorate
Encorate is prescribed for:
- Migraine Prophylaxis
Also Read: Dysmen Uses | Lobate Uses
How does Encorate work?
Encorate works by binding to the receptors in the brain and inhibits the excitation of brain cells.
How to take Encorate?
Encorate is administered orally in the form of the tablet along with food.
Price of Encorate in India
|Encorate Chrono 500, Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs. 102.52|
|Encorate Chrono 300 CR, Strip of 10 tablet||Rs. 66.14|
|Encorate Chrono 200 CR, Strip of 10 Tablet||Rs. 32.54|
|Encorate 500, Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs. 72.84|
|Encorate 100mg, Vial of 5ml Injection||Rs. 29.23|
|Encorate Oral solution, Bottle of 200ml Oral solution||Rs. 122.21|
|Encorate Tablet, Strip of 10 tablet||Rs. 32.54|
Common dosage of Encorate
- The recommended dose for partial seizures is 10-15 mg/kg per day in 2-4 divided doses. Maximum dose is 60 mg/kg given a day.
- Initial dose for acute manic episodes of bipolar disorder is 25 mg/kg once daily.
- Dose for migraine prophylaxis, 500 mg once daily for 1 week, up to 1,000 mg once daily.
Also Read: Ativan Dosage
When to avoid Encorate & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Encorate if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Do not take this medicine if suffering from impaired liver function or kidney impairment.
- Patients with urea cycle disorder (high ammonium levels in the blood) or family history of urea cycle disorder are not recommended to use this medicine.
- Use of Encorate in children and in patients who are suspected to have the mitochondrial disorder (POLG e.g. Alpers-Huttenlocher Syndrome) is not recommended.
- Encorate may cause pancreatitis which is a serious life-threatening reaction.
- Caution is advised in patients with the bleeding disorder as it may cause thrombocytopenia.
- This drug is not recommended for use in children less than 2 years of age due to the increased risk of liver injury.
- Caution is advised in patients with depression and suicidal thoughts.
Also Read: Kidpred Precaution | Gefitinib Precaution
Side Effects of Encorate
- Shakiness in legs, arms, hands or feet
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Body pain
- Skin rash
- Dry or scaly skin
Effect on organs?
- Cardiovascular reactions- Edema, hypertension, hypotension, palpitations, postural hypotension, peripheral edema, tachycardia, vasodilation.
- Psychiatric reactions- Nervousness, abnormal dreams, agitation, anxiety, aggression, confusion, depression, emotional lability, hallucinations, insomnia, personality disorder.
- Respiratory reactions- Flu syndrome, respiratory infection, bronchitis, dyspnea, epistaxis, increased cough, pharyngitis, pneumonia, rhinitis, and sinusitis.
- Dermatologic reactions- Alopecia, discoid lupus erythematosus, dry skin, ecchymosis, maculopapular rash, pruritus, rash, and seborrhea.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, dyspepsia, gingival disorder, nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, eructation, fecal incontinence, flatulence, gastroenteritis, glossitis, periodontal abscess, hematemesis.
- Genitourinary reactions- Amenorrhea, cystitis, dysmenorrhea, dysuria, enuresis, urinary incontinence, urinary frequency, vaginal hemorrhage, vaginitis.
- Hematologic reactions- Thrombocytopenia, anemia, haemorrhage.
- Hepatic reactions- Increased liver enzymes (particularly early in treatment), liver injury, anorexia, weight loss/gain, increased appetite.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Arthralgia, arthrosis, leg cramps, myalgia, myasthenia, twitching
- Nervous system reactions- Dizziness, headache, somnolence, tremor, abnormal gait, amnesia, catatonic reaction, convulsion, disturbance in attention, dysarthria, extrapyramidal disorder, incoordination, increased reflexes, memory impairment, speech disorder, perversion.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face, throat or hands
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Encorate help clear thinking and raises gamma-aminobutyric in the brain which calms the brain.
- The peak effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 hours and lasts for an average duration of 24 hours.
Storage Requirements for Encorate
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Encorate
- Encorate drug may make you dizzy, do not drive.
- Take this medicine at regular intervals of time.
Is Encorate addictive?
Can I have Encorate with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Encorate when pregnant?
Can I have Encorate when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Encorate?
What happens if I overdose on Encorate?
Overdose of Encorate may cause fainting, loss of consciousness, slow or irregular heartbeat.
What happens if I eat expired Encorate?
Expired Encorate may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Encorate?
If you miss a dose of Encorate, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.