Skip to Content
- Q. What happens if I overdose on Epitril?
- Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Epitril?
- Q. What happens if I eat expired Epitril?
- Q. Onset time of Epitril and till when does the effect of Epitril stays?
- Warnings When Taking Epitril
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Epitril?
- What are the effects of Epitril on organs?
- 1. Food Interactions with Epitril
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Epitril
- 3. Effects of Epitril on Lab Tests
- 4. Epitril’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Epitril with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Epitril when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Epitril when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Epitril?
- Storage requirements for Epitril
- Q. What is Epitril?
- Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Epitril to show results?
- Q. Should Epitril be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Epitril make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Epitril doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Epitril effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Epitril safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Epitril?
- Q. Is Epitril legal in India?
What is Epitril?
Used mainly to treat patients suffering from anxiety, sleep disorders and other mental health-related issues like panic attacks. Blurred vision, loss of libido and sedation are some major side effects seen at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of heart, liver and kidney problems.
Epitril Composition: Clonezepam 0.5mg
Manufactured By: Novartis
Prescription: Required (to be sold strictly by doctor’s prescription)
Price: Rs. 32.66 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Hypnotics + antianxiety + Antiepileptic
Uses of Epitril
Epitril is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Anxiety Disorders: Used to treat anxiety issues/disorders.
- Sleep disorders: Used to treat sleep disorders like sleep paralysis, insomnia.
- Muscle relaxant: Used as a muscle relaxant in low doses.
- Seizures: Used to treat seizures (epilepsy).
- Panic Attack: Used to treat and manage panic attacks, by helping the brain to relax.
How does Epitril work?
- Epitril Contains Clonezepam as its main active ingredient.
- Clonazepam is a CNS depressant and enhances the activity of chemical messenger GABA which inhibits the abnormal nerve cell activity in the brain and prevents and controls seizures and epileptic attacks.
How to take Epitril?
- Epitril is usually available in the form of tablets.
- Epitril tablet is taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably, with or without food.
- Epitril Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Prolonged use and dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
- Epitril should be consumed at a fixed time daily to avoid missing a dose.
- The drug should be consumed preferably at night to avoid the sedative effect of the drug during the daytime.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly and also take proper medical consultation before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Epitril
- Epitril dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Epitril in cases of epilepsy should not be more than 1.5mg per day in divided doses or as stated by the doctor.
- The common Adult dose of Epitril in cases of panic attacks is 0.25mg 2 times a day which can later be increased to 1mg per day or as stated by the doctor.
- The dose can be altered by the doctor depending on the condition or response by the patient every 3 days by 0.5mg -1mg.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Epitril?
Overdose of Epitril can cause undesirable effects like blurred vision and drowsiness and can also lead to complications in a few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Epitril?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Epitril?
Expired Epitril might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Epitril and till when does the effect of Epitril stays?
- The effect of Epitril can be seen within 2-4 hours of consuming the Epitril.
- Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
When to Avoid Epitril?
Do not Consume Epitril if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Epitril or any of its constituents.
- Heart diseases: in cases of patients with heart disease
- Alcoholics: In cases of alcoholic patients or drug addicts as it can worsen the condition.
- Severe liver diseases: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver diseases.
- Kidney diseases: In cases of patients with heart disease, Epitril should be avoided.
- Pregnancy/Lactation: Epitril should be avoided during pregnancy and in cases of nursing mothers.
Precautions While Taking Epitril
- Allergy: Epitril should be avoided in known cases of allergy to the drug.
- Overdose: Overdose of Epitril should be avoided.
- Pregnancy/Lactation: Epitril should be avoided during pregnancy and in cases of nursing mothers.
Warnings When Taking Epitril
- Avoid consuming Epitril without proper medical consultation.
- Always take the drug as per the prescribed dose.
- Prolonged use of Epitril for more than 4 weeks for insomnia and anxiety should be avoided.
- Sudden drug withdrawal can lead to withdrawal symptoms. Gradual tapering of drug dose should be done instead of sudden withdrawal.
Side-Effects of Epitril
The side effects associated with Epitril are:
- Loss of libido (less common)
- Blurred vision (common)
- Muscle ache (less common)
- Ataxia (less common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Nervousness (less common)
- Upper respiratory tract infection (less common)
- Sedation (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Epitril?
- Epitril is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, Itchy skin and loss of gait and consciousness.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Epitril on organs?
- Epitril can cause side effects in patients with liver or kidney impairment and can worsen the condition.
- Epitril can cause reoccurrence of disease in cases of patients with narrow-angle glaucoma.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Epitril. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Epitril. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Epitril
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Epitril
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Barbiturates (moderate)
- Antidepressants (moderate)
- Cetirizine (moderate)
- Codeine (mild)
- Cimetidine (moderate)
- Theophylline (mild)
- Erythromycin (mild)
- Oral contraceptives
- Sleeping pills (moderate)
- Verapamil (moderate)
3. Effects of Epitril on Lab Tests
Epitril does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Epitril’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Active liver disorders, acute narrow-angle glaucoma may worsen due to the consumption of Epitril.
Q. Can I have Epitril with alcohol?
No, alcohol consumption with Epitril can induce excessive dizziness or drowsiness. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Epitril.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Epitril when pregnant?
No, as it is known to cause birth defects in foetus. Always inform the doctor before taking Epitril in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Epitril when feeding a baby?
No, Lactating mothers should avoid using Epitril as it is possible for the drug to be excreted in breast milk and can lead to fatal effects. Therefore, the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Epitril?
No, Epitril can cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in some patients and one must avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Epitril Composition, Variant and Price
|Epitril Variants||Epitril Composition||Epitril Price|
|Epitril 0.25mg Tablet||Clonazepam 0.25mg||Rs. 19.21 for 10 tablets|
|Epitril 1mg Tablet||Clonazepam 1mg||Rs. 44.44 for 10 tablets|
|Epitril 2mg Tablet||Clonazepam 2mg||Rs. 79.50 for 10 tablets|
|Epitril MD 0.5mg Tablet||Clonazepam 0.5mg||Rs. 46.20 for 10 tablets|
|Epitril MD 1mg Tablet||Clonazepam 1mg||Rs. 65.70 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get 20% Off using Netmeds Coupon Code | Medlife Coupon Code
Substitutes of Epitril
The following are alternative drugs for Epitril:
- Cizipam 0.5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Manas Pharma.
- Price – Rs. 30.8
- Clonam 0.5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Icon Life sciences.
- Price – Rs. 32.40
- Clonotril 0.5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 48.92
- Anxicure 0.5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Medicure Lifesciences.
- Price – Rs. 30
Storage requirements for Epitril
- Store the Epitril tablet at a dry, moisture free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature.
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Epitril
Q. What is Epitril?
Ans. Epitril is an antiepileptic drug that contains Clonazepam as its active ingredient and is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic attacks and seizures.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Epitril to show results?
Ans. The effect of Epitril can be seen within 2-4 hours of administration of the drug.
Q. Should Epitril be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Epitril can be taken empty stomach but to prevent any potential stomach upset, it is advised to consume the drug after food.
Q. Does Epitril make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Epitril may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Epitril doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Epitril should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Epitril.
Q. Does Epitril effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Epitril safe for children?
Ans. Epitril should never be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Epitril?
Ans. Any liver, kidney or heart problems or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Epitril.
Q. Is Epitril legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Authored By –