Table of Contents
- 1 What is Epsolin?
- 2 Uses of Epsolin
- 3 How does Epsolin work?
- 4 Epsolin Price in India
- 5 How to Take Epsolin?
- 6 Common Dosage & when to take Epsolin
- 7 When to avoid Epsolin?
- 8 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 9 Precautions when taking Epsolin
- 10 Side effects of Epsolin
- 11 What Are The Effects of Epsolin on Organs?
- 12 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 13 Effects/Results After Consuming Epsolin
- 14 Storage of Epsolin
- 15 Pro Tips When Taking Epsolin
- 16 FAQs
- 16.1 Is Epsolin Addictive?
- 16.2 Can I have Epsolin with alcohol?
- 16.3 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 16.4 Can I have Epsolin when Pregnant?
- 16.5 Can I have Epsolin when feeding a baby?
- 16.6 Can I drive after taking Epsolin?
- 16.7 What happens if I overdose on Epsolin?
- 16.8 What happens if I eat expired Epsolin?
- 16.9 What happens if I miss a dose of Epsolin?
Epsolin Composition – Phenytoin (100mg)
Manufactured By – Zydus Cadila
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 163.35
Quantity – 100 tablets in 1 bottle
What is Epsolin?
- Epsolin contains “Phenytoin” as its active ingredient and is available in tablet form for oral use
- Epsolin (Phenytoin is an anticonvulsant medicine and first line treatment for epilepsy
Manufactured By – Zydus Cadila
Other variants and compositions
|Epsolin 50mg Injection 2ml||Phenytoin (50mg/2ml)|
|Epsolin ER 300 Tablet||Phenytoin (300mg)|
|Epsolin 200 mg Tablet ER||Phenytoin (200mg)|
|Epsolin 150 mg Tablet||Phenytoin (150mg)|
|Epsolin 100 Tablet||Phenytoin (100mg)|
|Epsolin 50 mg Tablet||Phenytoin (50mg)|
Buy & Get 20% Off using Pharmeasy Coupon Code | Myra Medicines Coupon Code
Uses of Epsolin
- Epsolin is indicated to control epilepsy. Epilepsy is a condition where you have repeated seizures (fits)
- Epsolin is also used to help prevent seizures occurring during or after brain surgery
How does Epsolin work?
- Epsolin contains Phenytoin as its active ingredient
- Epsolin belongs to a group of medicines called anticonvulsants. These drugs are known to work by regularizing chemicals in the brain which send signals to nerves so that seizures do not happen
Epsolin Price in India
|Epsolin ER 200 mg Tablet – 30 Tablets||Rs 165.8|
|Epsolin ER 300 mg Tablet – 30 Tablets||Rs 149.45|
|Epsolin ER 100 mg Tablet – 100 Tablets||Rs 163.35|
How to Take Epsolin?
- Epsolin medicine is available in the following forms –
- chewable tablets
- Oral Suspensions
- Injectable form
- When taken in oral form, Epsolin can be taken with or without food. In patients with gastric side effect, it can be taken immediately after food
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush the tablet
- Shake the suspension bottle properly before consuming. Take the measured dose using a spoon, via mouth
- Injectable forms are administered by a trained healthcare professional
- Never use Epsolin in more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent
- Do not stop treatment with Epsolin suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped. Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
Common Dosage & when to take Epsolin
- The dose and duration of treatment with Epsolin depends upon the age of the patient and type/ severity of ailment and response to initial dose
- Once the desired results are achieved, the dose can then be gradually tapered by the physician and a lowest maintenance dose can be maintained till advised
- Dose adjustment is needed in elderly and patients suffering from liver and kidney diseases
When to avoid Epsolin?
Epsolin should not be used or should be used with caution in the following conditions:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Patients with impaired liver function,
- elderly patients,
- absence (petit mal) seizures
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- hypersensitivity syndrome
- Stevens Johnson syndrome
- toxic epidermal necrolysis
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other. It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- other medicines used to treat fits and convulsions
- salicylates and tramadol
- sedatives, tranquilliser
- clozapine, phenothiazines
- medicines used to treat depression
- medicines used to lower cholesterol
- anti cancer drugs
- medidrugs used to treat heart diseases
- some antibiotics and antifungal medicines
- antiretrovirals, used in the treatment of HIV infection
- medicines used to treat parasitic worm infections
- omeprazole, sucralfate and cimetidine
- general anaesthetics and muscle relaxants
- St John’s wort
- Anti diabetic Drugs
- some vitamins such as folic acid and Vitamin D
- estrogens, a hormone used in oral contraceptives(birth control pills) and in hormone replacement therapy
- Using all these medicines along with Epsolin can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects
Precautions when taking Epsolin
- If used during pregnancy, Epsolin can produce foetal hydantoin syndrome (small fingers, cleft palate, hare lip, small skull size)
- Prolonged use of the medicine may cause Osteomalacia (a bone disease), because Epsolin interferes with metabolic activation of vitamin D and with calcium absorption/metabolism
- It can inhibit insulin release and cause increased glucose levels in blood
- Be cautious while using this drug as it may also cause gum hypertrophy (increased size of gums), more in younger patients, acne and megaloblastic anemia
- Fall in blood pressure and loss of heart rhythm occur only on intravenous injection which, therefore, must be given under continuous ECG monitoring
Side effects of Epsolin
Epsolin may produce many side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- weakness, shakiness when walking,
- decreased co-ordination or reduced reactions
- loss of concentration or confusion
- Trouble speaking or unclear speech
- Insomnia or somnolence
- nausea or vomiting
- painful or enlarged gums
- enlargement of facial features including thickening of lips
- pain in joints
- itchy skin rash
- excessive hairiness, especially in women
- sexual disturbances, such as painful erection
- tingling or numbness of the hands or feet
- Alterations in taste.
What Are The Effects of Epsolin on Organs?
Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Epsolin with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Allergy with Epsolin may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
Effects/Results After Consuming Epsolin
2 – 3 weeks wait is generally recommended to determine efficacy of Epsolin.
Storage of Epsolin
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light
- Keep medicinesaway from children and pets
Pro Tips When Taking Epsolin
- You must not discontinue the usage of Epsolin abruptly. This may lead to worsening of symptoms. A slow tapering is recommended for oral formulation
- Epsolin should be taken at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body
Is Epsolin Addictive?
No addictive tendency has been reported with Epsolin for drug abuse.
Can I have Epsolin with alcohol?
Interaction of Epsolin with alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness therefore it is not recommended to consume alcohol while taking Epsolin.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Epsolin when Pregnant?
- Epsolin should be used with caution in pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus
- Epsolin has been known to cause anomalies in the newborns, deferring their growth and causing other injurious side effects
- Therefore Epsolin should only be used if the benefits justify the risk to the foetus
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
Can I have Epsolin when feeding a baby?
- Epsolin should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus
- It is recommended that you do not breast-feed while taking Epsolin
Can I drive after taking Epsolin?
- Few patients might exhibit drowsiness, dizziness or headache after administration of Epsolin
- Such patients should use Epsolin with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery
What happens if I overdose on Epsolin?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms
- Signs of overdose may include lethargy, somnolence, undue trembling, extreme muscle stiffness, high heart rate, extremely low blood pressure causing fainting or unconsciousness
What happens if I eat expired Epsolin?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Epsolin?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose