Table of Contents
- What is Eptoin?
- Uses of Eptoin
- Eptoin Price In India
- How does Eptoin work?
- How to take Eptoin?
- Common dosage of Eptoin
- When to avoid Eptoin & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Eptoin
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Eptoin
- Pro Tips when taking Eptoin
- FAQs – Things to Know About Eptoin
- Is Eptoin addictive?
- Can I have Eptoin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Eptoin when pregnant?
- Can I have Eptoin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Eptoin?
- What happens if I overdose on Eptoin?
- What happens if I eat expired Eptoin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Eptoin?
Eptoin Composition – Phenytoin (100mg)
Manufactured By – Abbott
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 195.83
Quantity – 120 tablets in 1 bottle
What is Eptoin?
Eptoin is an anti-epileptic, also known as anticonvulsant drug which is used to control or prevent seizures that begin after surgery.
Buy & Enjoy Up to 30% OFF: 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
Uses of Eptoin
Eptoin is prescribed for:
- Status Epilepticus
Also Read: Duolin Uses
Eptoin Price In India
|100mg Bottle of 120 Tablet||Rs. 195.83|
|50mg Bottle of 150 Tablets||Rs.117.6|
|300 ER Strip of 30 Tablet er||Rs. 183.00|
|vial of 2ml Injection||Rs.11.26|
|200ml Oral Suspension||Rs.64.96|
Also Read: Dettol Price | Dexona Price | Dynapar Price
How does Eptoin work?
Eptoin being an anticonvulsant work by decreasing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain by inhibiting the repetitive firing/excessive activity of neurons.
Also Read: Dextrose Composition
How to take Eptoin?
- Eptoin is administered orally in the form of tablet, capsule and suspension, with food.
- As a solution for injection, this medicine is administered intravenously.
- Take Eptoin at the same time regularly for a better seizure control.
Common dosage of Eptoin
Initial adult dose for Eptoin is 3-4 mg/kg every day as a single dose or in divided doses. Maintenance dose range is 200-500 mg every day.
Also Read: Diamox Dosage
When to avoid Eptoin & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Eptoin if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Eptoin may lower the blood cell count and may lead to a fatal condition.
- This medicine is not recommended in the patients with heart disorders.
- Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without consulting a doctor as it may precipitate the status epilepticus in patients with known history of epilepsy.
- Patients with a known history of depression should use this medicine with caution as it may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts.
- This medicine may cause serious skin reactions like toxic epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome and should be used with caution in patients with the liver problem.
- This medicine may decrease the bone density and also increase the risk of osteoporosis and osteomalacia.
Side Effects of Eptoin
- Decreased coordination
- Shaking of hands or feet
- Unusual facial expressions
- Trouble sleeping
- Uncontrolled eye movements
- Yellow colored eyes or skin
- Skin rash
Also Read: Digene Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Central nervous system reactions- Night blindness, incoordination, slurred speech, decreased coordination, mental confusion, dizziness, sleeplessness and tremor.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, vomiting, constipation, toxic hepatitis, and liver damage.
- Hematological reactions- Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
- Dermatological reactions- Skin damage, rash and itching.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of face, lips, throat, hands
Drug interactions to be careful about?
Co-administration of Eptoin with following drugs is not recommended:
- Oral contraceptives
- The effect of this medicine can be observed in 1.5 to 3 hours for an immediate release tablet and 4 to 12 hours for an extended release tablet.
- The effect usually lasts for an average duration of 2 to 3 days for an oral dose and 1 to 2 days for an intravenous dose.
Storage Requirements for Eptoin
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store it at temperature between 20-25°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Eptoin
- Eptoin controls seizures by decreasing the abnormal activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
- Avoid consuming alcohol to decrease the risk of seizures.
FAQs – Things to Know About Eptoin
Is Eptoin addictive?
Can I have Eptoin with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No; not until your doctor tells you otherwise.
Can I have Eptoin when pregnant?
Can I have Eptoin when feeding a baby?
Yes; only if benefit outweigh the risks.
Can I drive after taking Eptoin?
What happens if I overdose on Eptoin?
Overdose of Eptoin may cause uncontrolled body movements, slurred speech.
What happens if I eat expired Eptoin?
Expired Eptoin may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Eptoin?
If you miss a dose of Eptoin, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.