What is Escitalopram?
Escitalopram is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. Escitalopram is mainly used to treat a major depressive disorder. Escitalopram oral tablet is available as both a generic and brand-name drug.
Manufactured By – Wockhardt Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Medlife Medicines
Uses of Escitalopram
Escitalopram is used to:
- treat depression.
- treat anxiety.
- It may be used as part of a combination therapy. This means you may need to take it with other medications.
Also Read: Methylphenidate Uses | Methylprednisolone Uses | Metoclopramide Uses
How Does Escitalopram Work?
- Escitalopram belongs to the class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
- Escitalopram increases the amount of serotonin in the brain. This substance helps maintain mental balance.
- Escitalopram increases levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin by blocking the reuptake of the neurotransmitter into the presynaptic neuron.
How to Take Escitalopram?
- Use Escitalopram tablets as ordered by your doctor.
- Take with or without food.
- To gain the most benefit from Escitalopram, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Taking Escitalopram with food may help to reduce upset stomach.
- You can cut or crush the 10-mg and 20-mg tablets. You can’t cut or crush the 5-mg tablets.
Escitalopram Price In India
|5 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 31.70|
|10 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 48.00|
|20 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 89.00|
Other medicine's Price: Gabapentin Price | Guaifenesin Price
Common Dosage of Escitalopram
- 10 to 20 mg orally once a day
- Acute episodes may require several months or longer of sustained pharmacological therapy beyond response to the acute episode.
When to Avoid Escitalopram
- If you have an allergy to Escitalopram or any other part of this medicine.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (escitalopram tablets) affects you.
- Escitalopram oral tablet can interact with other medications, vitamins, or herbs you may be taking.
- To help avoid interactions, your doctor should manage all of your medications carefully.
- If you take Escitalopram with blood thinners, your risk of bleeding is increased. Warfarin is a blood-thinning drug.
Precautions when taking Escitalopram
- Escitalopram can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior. Tell your doctor if you have a history of suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
- Escitalopram may dilate your pupils (make them wider), which may trigger a glaucoma attack. Tell your doctor if you have glaucoma before taking this drug.
- Use with care in children.
- Taking Escitalopram in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to some health problems in the newborn. Talk to the doctor.
Side Effects of Escitalopram
Some of the reported side effects of Escitalopram are:
- Upset stomach.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Dry mouth.
- Not able to sleep.
- Sweating a lot.
- Flu-like signs.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Runny nose.
Effect on Organs?
- Nervous system- convulsions
- Heart-ventricular arrhythmias in females, with hypokalemia.
- Gastrointestinal-Nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, dry mouth, dyspepsia, flatulence, indigestion, toothache, vomiting
- Musculoskeletal-Arthralgia, back pain, myalgia, neck/shoulder pain
- Respiratory-Pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection, yawning
Storage requirements for Escitalopram
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so.
Pro Tips when taking Escitalopram
Escitalopram has a black box warning. This is the most serious warning from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). A black box warning alerts doctors and patients about drug effects that may be dangerous.
Suicide warning. Escitalopram, like many antidepressants, can increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior when you take it to treat depression or other psychiatric disorders. This risk is higher in children, teenagers, and young adults, especially within the first few months of treatment or when the dose is changed. You, family members, caregivers, and your doctor should pay attention to any unusual changes in mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings.
Is Escitalopram addictive?
No, Escitalopram does not cause a withdrawal syndrome which is a prerequisite for an addictive drug.
Can I have Escitalopram with alcohol?
No, may induce risk. Better is to avoid.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid taking with Grapefruit juice as this may impair your ability to absorb the medication.
Can I have Escitalopram when pregnant?
Taking this medicine (escitalopram tablets) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to some health problems in the newborn.
Can I have Escitalopram when feeding a baby?
Escitalopram may pass into breast milk and may cause side effects in a child who is breastfed.
Can I drive when taking Escitalopram?
No, it is better to avoid driving.
What happens if I overdose on Escitalopram?
In case of an overdose, get medical attention as soon as possible and tell them the amount of drug taken.
What happens If I eat expired Escitalopram?
Depends on the time duration of the medicine. 1-1.5 years of expiration won’t harm still it is advised to avoid such cases.
What happens if I miss a dose of Escitalopram?
Take your dose as soon as you remember. If you remember just a few hours before your next scheduled dose, take only one dose.
Other medicine's to Read: Etodolac | Fluoxetine