Table of Contents
- What is Ethambutol?
- Uses of Ethambutol?
- How Does Ethambutol Work?
- How to Take Ethambutol?
- Ethambutol Price In India
- Common Dosage for Ethambutol?
- When to Avoid Ethambutol?
- Side-Effects of Ethambutol
- Effects of Ethambutol on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Ethambutol
- Is Ethambutol addictive?
- Can I have Ethambutol with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ethambutol when pregnant?
- Can I have Ethambutol when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ethambutol?
- What happens if I overdose on Ethambutol?
- What happens if I eat expired Ethambutol?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Ethambutol?
- Storage Requirements
- Pro Tips When Taking Ethambutol
What is Ethambutol?
Ethambutol is an antibacterial drug which is used to treat bacterial infection.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Online
Uses of Ethambutol?
Also Read: Aminophylline Uses | Doxorubicin Uses | Enoxaparin Uses
How Does Ethambutol Work?
Cell wall is very essential for bacteria to survive and multiply. Ethambutol acts by destroying the cell wall of the bacteria thereby killing them.
How to Take Ethambutol?
Ethambutol tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You may consume Ethambutol on an empty or full stomach.
Ethambutol Price In India
|200 mg Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 3.92|
|400 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 7.18|
|800 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 13.69|
Also Read: Griseofulvin Price | Imatinib Price
Common Dosage for Ethambutol?
Ethambutol is generally prescribed two times to four times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Ethambutol?
Avoid Ethambutol if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have eye problems
- You have liver disease
- You have kidney impairment
Side-Effects of Ethambutol
- Visual impairment
- Vision loss
- Color blindness
- Joint swelling and pain
- Burning or tingling sensation
- Abdominal pain
- Appetite loss
Also Read: Famotidine Side Effect | Filgrastim Side Effect
Effects of Ethambutol on Organs?
Long term use of Ethambutol is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Ethambutol are
- difficulty breathing, and
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Cholera Vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine
Effects/Results After Consuming Ethambutol
The effect of Ethambutol can be observed within 2 to 4 hour of administration. Your allergic symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Ethambutol
Is Ethambutol addictive?
Ethambutol is not addictive in nature
Can I have Ethambutol with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Ethambutol. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with this medication causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Ethambutol when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Ethambutol if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Ethambutol when feeding a baby?
Ethambutol is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Ethambutol?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Ethambutol. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Ethambutol?
Overdose of Ethambutol will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Ethambutol?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Ethambutol, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ethambutol?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Ethambutol at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Ethambutol away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Ethambutol
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Ethambutol if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- This medication is not fit for use in children below 13 years of age.
- You must not consume any antacids within 4 hours of consumption of Ethambutol.
Also read about other medicine: Isoniazid