Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ethamsylate?
- 2 Uses of Ethamsylate
- 3 How does Ethamsylate work?
- 4 Ethamsylate Price in India
- 5 How to Take Ethamsylate?
- 6 Common Dosage for Ethamsylate
- 7 Precautions- When to Avoid Ethamsylate
- 8 Side-effects of Ethamsylate
- 9 Reported Allergic Reactions:
- 10 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 11 Shows Effects / Results In:
- 12 Storage of Ethamsylate
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Ethamsylate
- 14 FAQs
Prescription – Required
Form – Injection
Price – Rs.43.50 per 250 mg Injection
1What is Ethamsylate?
Ethamsylate is a drug which is used to control bleeding from small blood vessels.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds Medicines
2Uses of Ethamsylate
Ethamsylate is used for:
- the control of bleeding from capillaries,
- bleeding from the nose,
- blood in urine,
- abnormal bleeding during delivery,
- heavy bleeding during menstruation,
- bleeding in stools,
- bleeding due to platelet disorders or disorders of coagulation and other conditions,
- During surgery for prevention and treatment of pre-, per-, or postsurgical bleeding,
- In premature babies for the prevention of periventricular hemorrhages
3How does Ethamsylate work?
- Ethamsylate is an effective chemical messenger that enhances the process of clot formation and stops bleeding.
- The specific mechanism of action of Ethamsylate is not clear. It has been shown to decrease bleeding time.
4Ethamsylate Price in India
|250 mg Injection||Rs 43.50|
5How to Take Ethamsylate?
- The dosage and duration of Ethamsylate should be taken as advised by the doctor.
- The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to therapy.
Ethamsylate is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Oral Tablet
- Ethamsylate tablets can be taken with or without food.
- Ethamsylate tablet should be consumed with a glass of water. Do not break/crush or chew the tablet.
- Ethamsylate injections are injected into the vein/muscle by a trained healthcare professional.
6Common Dosage for Ethamsylate
- Dosage of Ethamsylate is usually based on your medical condition.
Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding during menstruation)
Adult: 500 mg 4 times/day during menstruation.
Control of bleeding after surgery
Adult: 250-500 mg every 4-6 hours as needed.
- Parenteral – im/iv injection
Treatment and prevention of periventricular haemorrhage in low birth-weight neonates
Child: Low birth-weight neonate: 12.5 mg/kg IM/IV Inj every 4-6 hours.
Also Read: Ecosprin 75 Dosage | Eldoper Dosage | Eltroxin Dosage
7Precautions- When to Avoid Ethamsylate
Ethamsylate should not be used if you are:
- Allergic to any of its components
- Suffering from Porphyria
- Suffering from bronchial asthma, a proven hypersensitivity to sulphites.
- Do not take Ethamsylate if you develop non-cancerous growths called fibroids in your womb;
- Caution should be used in patients with a history of coeliac disease.
8Side-effects of Ethamsylate
- High fever, diarrhoea, skin rashes are common side – effects when using Ethamsylate.
- In certain cases, Ethamsylate injections can lead to low blood pressure and it returns to normal values within the next hours.
- Rare side effects include stomach pain, nausea, and headache.
- In most cases, these symptoms disappear spontaneously.
9Reported Allergic Reactions:
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Rare reports of allergic reactions have been seen, symptoms include skin rashes.
10Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Always inform the physician of all the drugs/products you use. Inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- Thiamine (vitamin B1) is inactivated by the sulphite contained in Ethamsylate injection.
- If a perfusion with Dextran is necessary, Ethamsylate solution must be injected first.
11Shows Effects / Results In:
The amount of time taken By Ethamsylate to show its results is not established. However, the drug reaches the peak concentration in the body within 4-5 hours after oral intake.
Also Read: Enzomac Side Effect | Etizolam Side Effect
12Storage of Ethamsylate
- Protect the Ethamsylate ampoules from light.
- Discard the ampoules if the solution is coloured.
- To be stored protected from heat (below 30°C)
13Pro Tips When Taking Ethamsylate
- Do not use Ethamsylate before the onset of menstrual bleeding.
- Kindly inform your doctor if you are allergic to sulfites or wheat
Is Ethamsylate Addictive?
No. However self-medication and dependence on Ethamsylate should be avoided.
Can I have Ethamsylate with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while taking Ethamsylate.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ethamsylate When Pregnant?
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
- Animal studies do not suggest any ill-effects on foetus.
- As a precaution, Ethamsylate should not be administered during the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Ethamsylate can be administered during the second and third trimester only if the expected therapeutic benefit is judged as more than the potential risk to the developing foetus.
Can I have Ethamsylate when feeding a baby?
- Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child and use the medicine as advised
- Lactation during treatment with Ethamsylate is not advisable.
Can I drive after taking Ethamsylate?
Ethamsylate is not known to affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Ethamsylate?
Immediately inform your doctor if you happen to overdose on Ethamsylate.
What happens if I take expired Ethamsylate?
- Taking a single dose may not cause any major adverse effect
- The potency of Ethamsylate may get reduced
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Ethamsylate?
- To be effective a certain amount of drug must be in your body at all times
- Always consume the missed dose of Ethamsylate as soon as you remember it
- If it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take a double dose