Etizolam Composition – Etizolam 0.5 MG
Manufactured By – Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 44.6
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Etizolam?
- Etizolam belongs to group of drugs which act on central nervous system and helps in the treatment of anxiety disorders.
- Etizolam is an analogue of benzodiazepine and is available in tablet form in three doses- 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg.
Manufactured By – MACLEODS PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Etizolam in Hindi
Uses of Etizolam
Etizolam can be used in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases:
- Insomnia (inability to sleep)
- Anti depressant
- Tension headache
- Sleep disorders
- Panic attacks
- Etizolam can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How does Etizolam work?
- Etizolam works by increasing the activity of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of brain cells in the body.
Etizolam Price in India
|5 Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 65 Pack|
How to Take Etizolam?
- The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to therapy.
- Etizolam is rapidly absorbed orally and may be taken with or without food or as advised.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it long with plenty of fluids.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at evenly spaced intervals (if taking more than 1 tablet in a day) to maintain certain amount of drug in the body all the time.
- Etizolam tablets should not be used for treatment of anxiety and insomnia on a long term basis (not more than 3-4 weeks) as the effect of these medicines may become less over a period of time.
- The medicine should not be stopped immediately or in between without completing the full course without doctor’s consent.
Common Dosage for Etizolam
- Dosage is usually determined by your physician based on your condition.
- The recommended dosage for Etizolam in adults is 0.25mg-0.5mg tablets taken once to thrice daily as advised by the physician.
- Etizolam should be used with great caution in paediatric patients under the supervision of a doctor.
- Etizolam should be administered with caution in patients suffering from severe kidney and liver diseases. Dose alteration may be needed in few cases.
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. For best results, it should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
Also Read: Enteroquinol Dosage | Enterogermina Dosage | Enzoflam Dosage
Precautions- When to Avoid Etizolam
Etizolam should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Pregnant and breastfeeding patients
- Patients suffering from liver and kidney diseases
- Patients with history of alcoholism and recreational drug abuse
- Bed ridden patients
- Patients suffering from glaucoma
Side-effects of Etizolam
Majority of the patients do not show any side effects. However, the most commonly reported side effects include:
- Fall in Blood pressure
- Weakness of muscles
- Slurred speech
- Visual disturbances
- Changes in libido
- Memory impairment
- Dryness in mouth
- Uncoordinated body movements
- Loss of appetite
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs
- Liver – Etizolam may be used cautiously in patients with liver disease. In severe cases, dose adjustment may also be needed.
- Kidney – Etizolam may be used cautiously in patients with kidney disease. In severe cases, dose adjustment may also be needed.
Reported Allergic Reactions
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
You must always inform the physician of all the drugs/ herbal products you use.
You must inform your doctor if you frequently use other drugs that make you drowsy or sleepy, such as sleeping pills, other allergy drugs, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxants, and drugs used for fits, depression, or anti-anxiety drugs.
Etizolam may interact with the following drugs and products:
- Using some of the medicines along with Etizolam may influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drug along with Etizolam.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
- Etizolam gets absorbed rapidly and starts showing its effects within half an hour to one hour of its administration.
- The effect of Etizolam lasts for an average of 6-8 hours following oral administration.
Also Read: Eltroxin Side Effect | Eldoper Side Effect | Ecosprin 75 Side Effect
Storage of Etizolam
- Storage at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
Pro Tips When Taking Etizolam
- Etizolam should not be used for longer duration as it may have habit forming tendencies.
- Etizolam should not be discontinued at once even if symptoms have subsided as it may show severe side effects. Dose should always be tapered gradually before discontinuing.
Also Read about other medicine's: Enzomac | Ethamsylate
Is Etizolam addictive?
- Etizolam must not be used for a period of more than 4 weeks or more as it can become habit forming.
- Also the effects shown by the drug seem to reduce over a period of time when used for longer duration
Can I have Etizolam with alcohol?
- Alcohol uptake should be avoided along with Etizolam tablet.
- Administration of Etizolam along with alcohol increases the risk of adverse effects associated with nervous system depression like excessive drowsiness and calmness, fall in blood pressure etc.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Etizolam when pregnant?
- Etizolam is not recommended for use during pregnancy as administration of Etizolam during pregnancy is associated with adverse effects in foetus.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Etizolam when feeding a baby?
- It is not recommended to take Etizolam while breastfeeding as it may harm the foetus.
- Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child and use the medicine as advised.
Can I drive after taking Etizolam?
- Driving ability of patients taking Etizolam might be impaired as sedation and dizziness are two common side effects associated with Etizolam intake.
- Thus, it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Etizolam?
- It should not be administered in more than the prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms earlier; rather it may cause serious side-effects.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Etizolam ?
- Taking a single dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Etizolam ?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.