Table of Contents
- 1 What is Etophylline?
- 2 Uses of Etophylline
- 3 How does Etophylline work?
- 4 How to take Etophylline?
- 5 Common Dosage for Etophylline
- 6 When to Avoid Etophylline?
- 7 Precautions and warnings while Taking Etophylline
- 8 Side-Effects of Etophylline
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Etophylline
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Etophylline
- 9.3 3. Effects of Etophylline on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Etophylline’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Etophylline with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Etophylline when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Etophylline when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Etophylline?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Etophylline Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Etophylline
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Etophylline
- 12.1 Q. What is Etophylline?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Etophylline to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Etophylline be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Etophylline make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Etophylline doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Etophylline effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Etophylline safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Etophylline ?
- 12.10 Q. Is Etophylline legal in India?
- 13 Authored by –
What is Etophylline?
Used mainly as a bronchodilator agent to treat conditions like Asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and also used to premature birth. Restlessness and Insomnia are the common side effect which occurs at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of severe liver, kidney or heart diseases.
Etophylline Composition: Etofylline 84.7mg + Theophylline 25.3mg
Manufactured By: Ciron Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
Form: Tablets and Injection
Price: Rs. 30.38 for 1 pack.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months (when stored at the cool place)
Type of Drug: Bronchodilator agent.
Uses of Etophylline
Etophylline is used to prevent or treat various conditions like
- Asthma: Used to prevent or treat asthma attacks by dilating the bronchioles.
- Premature Birth: Used to relax the uterine muscles to prevent and delay premature birth.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): Used to treat cases of patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Hyperkalaemia: Used to treat high potassium levels in blood (Hyperkalaemia).
- Blood Pressure: Used to treat cases of low blood pressure and blood flow in the renal area.
How does Etophylline work?
- Etophylline contains Etofylline and Theophylline as its main active ingredient.
- Etophylline belongs to the class of bronchodilators and works by relaxing the smooth muscles of the lungs and also dilates the bronchioles.
- It helps to relax the smooth muscles in the airway and facilitates easier breathing.
How to take Etophylline?
- Etophylline is available in the form of Tablets and Injections.
- Etophylline tablets can be taken orally with a glass of water, preferably after meals.
- Tablets should never be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole instead.
- It can be consumed with or without food, preferably with or after food to avoid any gastric problems.
- The injection form of the drug should be administered by trained medical staff.
- The medicine should be taken at fixed timings
- The leaflet should be read thoroughly before using it as an over the counter drug.
Common Dosage for Etophylline
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The common dose of Etophylline is 2.5mg 3-4 times a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Dosage is also decided by the physician as per the condition of the patient.
- The dose should be taken at evenly spaced intervals.
- The doctor should be informed if symptoms persist or worsens.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Etophylline?
Overdose of Etophylline can increase the chances of some serious side effects like chest pain, headache, nausea, and vomiting in some cases. The doctor or trained medical staff should be consulted immediately in case of Etophylline overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Etophylline?
Etophylline may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Etophylline should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Etophylline?
A single dose of expired Etophylline is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Etophylline and till when does the effect of Etophylline stay?
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect is 10 minutes after administration of the drug.
- Complete course of drug should be done unless stated otherwise by the doctor
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Etophylline.
When to Avoid Etophylline?
Do not Consume Etophylline:
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Etophylline or any of its ingredients.
- Heart problems: In cases of known history of heart attack, irregular heart rhythm.
- Liver diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe liver diseases.
- Kidney diseases: In known cases of history of moderate to severe kidney diseases.
Precautions and warnings while Taking Etophylline
- Avoid Overdosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of the drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
- Avoid Smoking: Avoid smoking while using this drug.
Side-Effects of Etophylline
The side effects associated with Etophylline used for different treatments are:
- Restlessness (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (Less common)
- Insomnia (common)
- Dry mouth (Less common)
- Muscle ache (Less common)
- Diarrhoea (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Etophylline?
No allergic reactions with Etophylline have been reported yet
What are the effects of Etophylline tablets on organs?
In cases of liver and kidney impairments, dose adjustment may be required by the physician.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Etophylline. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Etophylline. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Etophylline
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
2. Medicines Interactions with Etophylline
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Clomipramine (mild)
- Desipramine (moderate)
- Linezolid (mild)
- Amitriptyline (moderate)
- Amoxapine (moderate)
3. Effects of Etophylline on Lab Tests
Etophylline does not affect any laboratory tests
4. Etophylline’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
liver, kidney and heart diseases.
Q. Can I have Etophylline with alcohol?
No, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Etophylline.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid intake of caffeine as it can aggravate chances of side effects.
Q. Can I have Etophylline when pregnant?
Etophylline should only be consumed during pregnancy when necessary and the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Etophylline when feeding a baby?
No, Etophylline should only be used if necessary and should be used with caution in case of lactating mothers. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before consuming the drug.
Q. Can I drive after taking Etophylline?
No, as Etophylline can cause dizziness therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occurs after taking Etophylline.
Also Read: Gaviscon Side Effect | Gemer Side Effect | Glibenclamide Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Etophylline Composition, Variant and Price
|Etophylline Variants||Etophylline Composition||Etophylline Price|
|Etophylline Injection||Etofylline 84.7mg + Theophylline 25.3mg||Rs. 40.5|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Myra Promo Code | Netmeds Discount Coupon
Substitutes of Etophylline
The following are alternative drugs for Etophylline:
- Deriphyllin Injection:
- Manufactured by – Zydus Cadila.
- Price – Rs. 46.88
- Etobrosmin Injection:
- Manufactured by – Synthiko Formulations & Pharma Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 2.62
- Suphyllin Injection:
- Manufactured by – Paksons Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 3
- Delin Injection:
- Manufactured by – Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 2.59
Storage requirements for Etophylline
- Store the drug at room temperature and do not freeze
- Keep in place where it is out of reach of children
Also Read: Envas Price | Formet Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Etophylline
Q. What is Etophylline?
Ans. Etophylline is a combination drug used as a bronchodilator agent. It is used to treat different conditions like COPD, asthma, etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Etophylline to show results?
Ans. Etophylline shows its affect within 10 minutes of administration.
Q. Should Etophylline be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Etophylline should preferably be taken with or after food for better absorption.
Q. Does Etophylline make you drowsy?
Ans. Etophylline might cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Etophylline doses?
Ans. An ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Etophylline toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Etophylline should be taken as prescribed by the doctor and should not be unless stated otherwise by the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Etophylline.
Q. Does Etophylline effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. It does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consults the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Etophylline safe for children?
Ans. Pediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug to children as a precautionary measure.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Etophylline ?
Ans. In cases of liver disorders, Etophylline should be avoided as it may worsen the condition
Q. Is Etophylline legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.