Table of Contents
- 1 What is Famotidine?
- 2 Uses of Famotidine
- 3 How Does Famotidine Work?
- 4 Famotidine Price In India
- 5 How to Take Famotidine?
- 6 Common Dosage for Famotidine?
- 7 When to Avoid Famotidine?
- 8 Side-Effects of Famotidine
- 9 Effects of Famotidine on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After Consuming Famotidine
- 13 FAQ
- 14 Is Famotidine addictive?
- 15 Can I have Famotidine with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Famotidine when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Famotidine when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Famotidine?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Famotidine?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Famotidine?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Famotidine?
- 23 Storage Requirements
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Famotidine
What is Famotidine?
Famotidine is a medication which is used to control the acid secretion in your stomach.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Offers | Netmeds Offers
Uses of Famotidine
- Stomach ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
Also Read: Griseofulvin Uses | Imatinib Uses | Isoniazid Uses
How Does Famotidine Work?
Histamine is a chemical messenger which binds to H2 receptor in the stomach to secrete acid. Famotidine blocks the binding of histamine to H2 receptors thereby decreasing the production of acid in the stomach.
Famotidine Price In India
|40 mg Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 24.90|
Also Read: Doxorubicin Price
How to Take Famotidine?
Famotidine tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. If you are prescribed with syrup form them measure the quantity prescribed with measuring cup and drink it. Always shake the bottle before use. You may consume Famotidine on an empty or full stomach.
Common Dosage for Famotidine?
Famotidine is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Famotidine?
Avoid Famotidine if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You are suffering from a liver or kidney disease
- If you have irregular heart rhythm
- You have stomach cancer
- You have breathing problems
Side-Effects of Famotidine
- Heart rhythm problems
- Liver enzyme abnormalities
Effects of Famotidine on Organs?
Long term use of Famotidine is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Famotidine are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- HIV medications
- AIDS medications
- Muscle relaxants
- Pain relievers
- Vitamin supplements
- Herbal products
Effects/Results After Consuming Famotidine
The effect of Famotidine can be observed within 1 to hours of administration. Your symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Famotidine
Is Famotidine addictive?
Famotidine is not a habit forming medication.
Can I have Famotidine with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Famotidine. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Famotidine causes damage to your stomach and liver.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must avoid foods that irritate your stomach and increase acid production like soft drinks, oranges, lemon, etc. Further, consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Famotidine when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Famotidine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Famotidine when feeding a baby?
Famotidine is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Famotidine?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Famotidine. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Famotidine?
Overdose of Famotidine will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Famotidine?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Famotidine, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Famotidine?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
- Always store Famotidine at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Place the cap tightly after use of suspension form of this drug
- Keep Famotidine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Famotidine
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Famotidine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- This medication is very effective in suppressing acid secretion around midnight, so take it before going to bed if prescribed once daily.
- Maintain a gap of at least 2 hours between Famotidine and antacid consumption.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t feel better after using this medication for 2 weeks.
Also read about other medicine's: Aminophylline | Enoxaparin