Table of Contents
- 1 List of 5 Famous Shiva Temples in Chennai
- 2 1. Marundeeswarar Temple – Shiva Temple in Chennai
- 3 2. Kapaleeswarar Temple – Lord Shiva Temple in Chennai
- 4 3. Thyagaraja Swamy Temple – Shiva Temple in Chennai
- 5 Here are some of the famous Shiva Temples near Chennai
- 6 1. Thiruidaichuram Temple – Shiva Temple Near Chennai
- 7 2. Ilambayam Kottur Temple – Shiva Temple Near Chennai
Chennai is home to some of the most beautiful temples in India. The rich heritage and culture of this city serve as a perfect pilgrimage site. Most of these temples were built by the powerful rulers of ancient India to celebrate their love and devotion towards the Creator, Lord Shiva.
Also See: Famous Shiv Temples in Karnataka
List of 5 Famous Shiva Temples in Chennai
1. Marundeeswarar Temple – Shiva Temple in Chennai
Marundeeswarar is located in Thiruvanmiyur, south Chennai. The Cholas expanded the temple during the 11th century. According to legend, Lord Shiva blessed Sage Agasthya with the powers and properties of various herbs. Thus, it is believed that worshipping here can cure ailments. Marundeeswarar literally translates to God of medicine. The temple is a fine example of the Dravidian style of architecture.
You can get a bus to Chennai from most major cities. Check out abhibus coupons to get amazing cashback and discounts on your bus bookings.
Also See: Navagraha Temples in Chennai
2. Kapaleeswarar Temple – Lord Shiva Temple in Chennai
Kapaleeswarar lies in the cultural hub of Chennai, Mylapore. The temple was supposedly built by the Pallava dynasty in the 7th century BC. The inscriptions and the “gopuram” inside the temple date back to the 12th The best time to visit here is between 15th March to 15th April. That is when the Spring festival is celebrated with the utmost zeal and enthusiasm.
Also See: Chennai Temples
3. Thyagaraja Swamy Temple – Shiva Temple in Chennai
Thyagaraja Swamy Temple Is located in north Chennai in Tiruvottiyur. It is said that the temple was built by the Pandavas in the 7th century and later expanded by the Cholas. Along with Lord Shiva, the temple also houses shrines of Goddess Durga, Lord Ganesha, and a few other Gods.
To visit Chennai via bus, use mobikwik bus offers to avail discounts and cashbacks.
Also See: Chennai Murugan Temples
Here are some of the famous Shiva Temples near Chennai
1. Thiruidaichuram Temple – Shiva Temple Near Chennai
Thiruidaichuram Temple is situated about 55 km from Chennai. Lord Shiva here is made of Maragatha stone and shines brilliantly. It is said that Goddess Parvati visited Thiruidaichuram as a cow, and poured milk on the Shiv Lingam. The temple also has shrines of various other gods and goddesses.
To reach here, you can take a bus from Chennai and get amazing deals on redbus bus offers.
Also See: Tamil Nadu Temples
2. Ilambayam Kottur Temple – Shiva Temple Near Chennai
Ilambayam Kottur is a 2000-year-old temple located around 40 km away from Chennai. The main deity of this temple is Arambeswarar. The people whose moon is in a weaker position in their horoscopes visit this temple to get rid of its ill-effects. It is said the knowledge, wisdom, and peace of mind comes to those who pray to the Lord here on Poornima (full moon day).
To reach this temple, take a bus from Chennai. Use this mobikwik bus coupon code and get great deals and discounts.
Also See: Tamil Nadu Navgraha Temples
Other Temples Close to Chennai Worth A Visit
- Tamil Nadu Murugan Temples
- Coimbatore Temples
- Kerala Temples
- Famous Shiva Temples in India
- Famous Shiva Temples in Bangalore