Table of Contents
- 1 Things To Do in Mysore
- 2 1. Witness the most enchanting Dasara Festival
- 3 2. Get Mesmerised by the Grandeur of the Mysore Palace
- 4 3. Visit the Ornate Temples
- 5 4. Explore Biodiversity by visiting the Mysore Zoo
- 6 5. Spend Evenings in the Various Gardens which dot the Mysore Landscape
- 7 6. Enjoy Bird Watching at Shuka Vana
- 8 7. Visit Museums
- 9 8. Have Some Fun at 3D Selfie Gallery
- 10 9. Tour the St. Philomena’s Church
- 11 10. Relax and Rejuvenate through Ayurveda and Wellness Treatments
- 12 11. Enjoy Shopping
- 13 12. Relish the Delectable Mysore Cuisine
- 14 How to Reach Mysore
- 15 Where to Stay in Mysore
Mysore is a city in Karnataka, it lies in the southwest of the state of Karnataka. Mysore is officially called Mysuru. The city of Mysore is well known for its rich heritage, art and culture. This ornate city offers a plethora of options to any travel buff. Travellers can indulge in the following activities to enjoy a royal holiday in Mysore. We all know, Mysore Palace, Chamundi Hills, St. Philomena’s Church, Jaganmohan Palace, KRS and its backwaters all are very famous places in Mysore. Anyone who loves to spend a peaceful weekend, then they must visit Mysore at least once in their life. Mysore is a hygienic and Aristocratic city.
There are many things you can do in Mysore, some are listed below:
Things To Do in Mysore
1. Witness the most enchanting Dasara Festival
Mysore is almost synonymous with its Dasara celebrations. The magnificent Mysore Palace is lit up and is a sight to behold especially at night. The festival is marked by many fairs and parades through the Mysore streets. One should not miss out on this opulent festival especially if visiting Mysore in September or October.
2. Get Mesmerised by the Grandeur of the Mysore Palace
A trip to Mysore is incomplete without visiting the grand Ambavilas Palace or Mysore Palace. The Indo-Saracenic architecture as well as its stately interiors cast a spell on its visitors.
3. Visit the Ornate Temples
You can visit the various magnificent temples which are fine examples of Hoysala and Dravidian architecture. Some of these temples are mentioned below
- Somanathapura Temple
- Chamundeshwari Temple
- Vaidyanatheshwara Temple
- Trinesvaraswamy Temple
- Srikanteswara Temple
4. Explore Biodiversity by visiting the Mysore Zoo
You should visit the Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens or the Mysore zoo. You can spot all kinds of wild animals from Jaguar to bears in this splendid zoo. The zoo’s many exhibitions as well as education programs add to the knowledge and awareness of its visitors.
5. Spend Evenings in the Various Gardens which dot the Mysore Landscape
You can spend your evenings in Mysore by visiting the many beautiful gardens of Mysore. You can stroll amongst the beautiful flora and admire nature’s bounty, take boat rides in the lake or simply soak up the peace and tranquillity of these gardens and lakes.
- Visit the majestic Brindavan garden and get awed by its lovely terrace gardens and lovely fountains
- Visit the Bonsai garden and admire the miniature trees
- Experience peace and tranquillity by taking a boat ride at the Karangi lake
6. Enjoy Bird Watching at Shuka Vana
Visit the Shuka Vana, a Mysore aviary and admire 450 different varieties of bird varieties. The place also assumes significance holding the Guinness Book of World Records for housing the maximum number of bird species.
7. Visit Museums
- Visit the Folklore Museum to view the elaborate collection of the region’s folk art
- Explore Railway Museum and the vintage locomotives displayed along with other Railway memorabilia.
8. Have Some Fun at 3D Selfie Gallery
This three-dimensional gallery located in the Mysore Sand Sculpture Museum lets you have some fun by clicking selfies in front of the art pieces.
9. Tour the St. Philomena’s Church
Visit the St Philomena Church and admire the Neo Gothic style architecture of the splendid structure.
10. Relax and Rejuvenate through Ayurveda and Wellness Treatments
Mysore is famous for its many ayurvedic treatments. You can explore Ayurveda and yoga at the below centres in the city
- Mysore Ayurveda Academy & Wellness Centre
- Om Ayurveda and Yoga Centre
11. Enjoy Shopping
Mysore is a shopaholics paradise given its much talked about sandalwood and incense industry. However, besides these marque items of Mysore, you can take back the most gorgeous silk sarees that the many stores in Mysore have on offer. The Government Silk Weaving Factory stands out amongst all the stores as it offers a wide range of silk weaves at a reasonable price.
12. Relish the Delectable Mysore Cuisine
You should surely have the traditional Mysore sweet- ‘Mysore Pak’ besides the other South Indian delicacies like the Idli, Dosa, Vangi Baath etc.
- Savour South Indian delicacies at hotels such as Hotel Mylari, hotel Dasaprakash and hotel Siddhartha
- Have desserts at the Brahmin Soda Factory
Also Read: Places To Visit In Mysore
How to Reach Mysore
Coimbatore Airport (147 km away)
Nearest Railway Station:
Mysore Railway Station
Use Paytm train Ticket Coupons to save money when you book a train to Mysore
Nearest Bus Stop:
State government run buses ply in and around Mysore. Travelling by private company buses and taxis is another option which you can avail.
Rent A Car
Where to Stay in Mysore
The Windflower Resort & Spa, Mysore | Grand Mercure Mysuru – an AccorHotels Brand | Silent Shores Resort & Spa
Other places to explore:
You can book your tickets through MakeMyTrip and can avail huge discounts through MakeMyTrip coupon code. Thanks to CashKaro as it helps you to earn extra cashbacks while booking your tickets on Makemytrip.