Table of Contents
- What is Febrex Plus?
- Uses of Febrex Plus
- How does Febrex Plus work?
- How to take Febrex Plus?
- Febrex Plus Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Febrex Plus?
- Precautions While Taking Febrex Plus:
- Side-Effects of Febrex Plus:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Febrex Plus Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Febrex Plus
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Febrex Plus
- Authored By –
1What is Febrex Plus?
It is mainly used for prevention or treatment of symptoms like allergic reactions, common cold, fever and runny nose etc. Sleepiness, Drowsiness and Dry mouth are the most commonly seen side effects at repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver and kidney diseases, and in patients with glaucoma, epilepsy and allergic reactions with Febrex Plus.
Febrex Plus Composition: Chlorpheniramine 2mg + Paracetamol 500mg + Phenylephrine 10mg. Manufactured By: Indoco Remedies Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it belongs to Schedule ‘H’ but it is also available as OTC
Form: Tablets, drops and syrups
Price: Rs 42.10 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Anti histamine + Anti pyretic + Decongestant
2Uses of Febrex Plus
Febrex Plus is used for the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Cold: Used in cases of cold to relieve the patient from symptoms of cold.
- Fever: Used in cases of fever as it contains Paracetamol, which is Anti pyretic in nature.
- Headache: Used in cases of Headache as it contains Paracetamol, that acts as analgesic in nature.
- Nasal Congestion: Used in cases of Nasal decongestion as it contains Phenylephrine, that is decongestant in nature.
- Joint Pain: Used in cases of joint pain to relieve the joint pain.
- Allergic Conditions: Used to prevent or treat conditions like Sneezing, Watery eyes, itching
- Flu: Used as an effective drug against all the symptoms of flu.
- Ear Pain: Used in cases of ear pain.
- Menstrual pain: Used to treat and manage pain during menstruation (period pain).
3How does Febrex Plus work?
- Febrex Plus is composed of Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol and Phenylephrine
- Paracetamol blocks the Cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes (natural enzymes of body) which further blocks prostaglandins secretion, prostaglandins are responsible for redness, pain and swelling at the site of injury. Therefore, blocking COX blocks prostaglandins as well, leading to pain cessation, increased blood flow through skin and loss of heat and sweating which lowers the fever.
- Phenylephrine is α1-adrenergic receptor agonist, so it blocks the secretions of body and also constricts the blood vessel which treats watery eyes, nasal congestion, runny nose etc.
- Chlorpheniramine acts by blocking the action of histamine as it is anti-histamine and treats allergic symptoms.
Also Read about other medicine's: Flexon MR | Flexura D | Flunarizine
4How to take Febrex Plus?
- Febrex Plus is usually available in tablet and syrup form.
- Tablets are usually administered orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water as instructed by the doctor. It should be taken with food or after food, and not with empty stomach as the acidic contents of empty stomach may affect the pharmacological activity of tablet and can even affect the stomach.
- Tablet should never be crushed or chewed.
- Before consuming suspension form of Febrex Plus, it should be shaken up properly to have a homogenous mix of medication and a measuring cup should be used always for correct dose administration.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have better understanding about the drug.
5Febrex Plus Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- Common dose of Febrex Plus in adults is 1 tablet 2-3 times a day or as decided by the doctor as per the severity of the symptoms.
- Common dose of Febrex Plus in children is 5-10ml 2-3 times a day or as advised by the paediatrician.
- Gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between the two doses.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Febrex Plus?
Overdose of Febrex Plus can increase the chances of side effects like excessive drowsiness or dizziness and can also affect the liver in severe cases of high overdose. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Febrex Plus overdose and gastric emptying (gastric lavage) is to be performed as a treatment measure.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Febrex Plus?
Febrex Plus may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects. The missed dose of Febrex Plus should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Febrex Plus?
A single dose of expired Febrex Plus is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Febrex Plus?
Febrex Plus tablet reaches its peak effect or maximum action within about 30 minutes to 1 hour of oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Febrex Plus stay?
- It is advised to keep 4-6 hours interval between two doses of Febrex Plus.
- The effect of Febrex Plus lasts for an average of 6-8 hours after oral administration of drug.
Also Read: EVION LC Dosage | EVION 400 Dosage | Etoshine 90 Dosage
6When to Avoid Febrex Plus?
Do not Consume Febrex Plus Tablets:
- Allergy: In known cases of history of allergy to Aspirin or other NSAIDs like Diclofenac.
- Glaucoma: In known cases of glaucoma, it should be avoided.
- Epilepsy: In known cases of epilepsy, as it might worsen the condition.
- Kidney Diseases: In cases or history of kidney impairment.
- Liver Diseases: In cases of past or current condition of Liver problems or diseases.
7Precautions While Taking Febrex Plus:
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Febrex Plus empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach and absorption of Febrex Plus is affected when consumed empty stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Febrex Plus should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided as it can lead to toxicity.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Febrex Plus
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to toxicity or other undesirable effects.
- Febrex Plus should not be administered to patients with hypothyroidism and alcoholics.
8Side-Effects of Febrex Plus:
The side effects associated with Febrex Plus Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Sleepiness (common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Nausea (less common)
- Vomiting (less common)
- Rashes (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Insomnia (rare)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Febrex Plus?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Febrex Plus tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness. (less common)
What are the effects of Febrex Plus tablets on organs?
- The dose of Febrex Plus should be reduced in patients suffering from liver diseases as high dose of Paracetamol can increase the chances of further damage to liver.
- Doctor should be consulted before taking Febrex Plus Tablets if one is suffering from kidney disease as suitable dose adjustment and monitoring of kidney functions is mandatory in such cases.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Febrex Plus. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Febrex Plus. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Febrex Plus
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Febrex Plus
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Digoxin (mild)
- Anti hypertensives (moderate)
- Antifungals like ketoconazole (mild)
- Antipsychotics (moderate)
3. Effects of Febrex Plus on Lab Tests
Febrex Plus should be avoided for three days prior to allergic skin test as it can affect the allergy test results.
4. Febrex Plus’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases or allergic reactions should be taken into consideration.
Q. Can I have Febrex Plus with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of inducing drowsiness with alcohol so, alcohol should be avoided. The consulting physician should be informed if you’re consuming alcohol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Febrex Plus when pregnant?
No, Febrex Plus is not recommended for pregnant women as it is not considered safe for pregnant women and may harm the foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Febrex Plus when feeding a baby?
No, Febrex Plus is not recommended for lactating mother. The doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Febrex Plus?
One can drive after taking Febrex Plus but should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Other medicine's Side Effect: Flagyl 400 Side Effect | Femilon Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Febrex Plus Composition, Variant and Price
|Febrex Plus Drop||Chlorpheniramine 1 MG + Paracetamol 125 MG + Phenylephrine 2.5MG/ML||Rs. 53 for 1 pack|
|Febrex Tablet||Paracetamol 500mg||Rs. 14.28 for 15 tablets|
|Febrex Plus 60ml Syrup||Chlorpheniramine 5mg + Paracetamol 125 mg + Phenylephrine 1mg||Rs. 62.15 for 1 pack|
|Febrex Plus AF 15ml Drops||Chlorpheniramine 2mg + Phenylephrine 2.5mg/ml||Rs. 60.50 for 1 pack|
11Substitutes of Febrex Plus
The following are alternative drugs for Febrex Plus:
- Flucold Tablet:
- Manufactured by Wallace
- Price – Rs. 28.5
- Tuscold Tablet:
- Manufactured by Med Manor Oraganics.
- Price – Rs. 44
- Theocold Tablet:
- Manufactured by Theo Pharma Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 40
- Sinarest Tablet:
- Manufactured by Centaur Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 46.14
Storage requirements for Febrex Plus Tablets
- Febrex Plus Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Febrex Plus
Q. What is Febrex Plus?
Ans. Febrex Plus is a combination of antihistamine and antipyretic drugs namely Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol and Phenylephrine It is a multipurpose drug, which is used for treating multiple symptoms like runny nose, itching, allergic reaction, fever, watery eyes etc.
Q. What are the uses of Febrex Plus?
Ans. It is a multipurpose drug, which is used for treating multiple symptoms like runny nose, itching, allergic reaction, fever, watery eyes etc.
Q. What are the side effects of Febrex Plus?
Ans. The most common side effects of Febrex Plus are Sleepiness, Breathing difficulty, Dizziness, Nausea, Vomiting, Rashes, Dry mouth, Insomnia,Abdominal pain
Q. How long does it take for Febrex Plus to show results?
Ans. Febrex Plus tablet shows effect within about 30 minutes to 1 hour of oral administration.
Q. Should Febrex Plus be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Febrex Plus should not be taken empty stomach and may cause stomach irritation.
Q. Does Febrex Plus make you drowsy?
Ans. Febrex Plus may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Febrex Plus Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Febrex Plus toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Febrex Plus should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Febrex Plus.
Q. Does Febrex Plus effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Febrex Plus safe for children?
Ans. Febrex Plus should not be administered to children without consulting paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Febrex Plus?
Ans. Any liver problems, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Febrex Plus
Q. Is Febrex Plus legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –