Table of Contents
- What is Femara?
- Uses of Femara
- How does Femara work?
- Femara Price in India
- How to take Femara?
- Common dosage of Femara
- When to avoid Femara & Precautions to take?
- Side Effects of Femara
- Effect on organs?
- Reported allergic reactions?
- Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Shows effects
- Storage Requirements for Femara
- Pro Tips when taking Femara
- Is Femara addictive?
- Can I have Femara with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Femara when pregnant?
- Can I have Femara when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Femara?
- What happens if I overdose on Femara?
- What happens if I eat expired Femara?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Femara?
What is Femara?
- Femara is an aromatase inhibitor which is used in the treatment of hormonally-responsive breast cancer after surgery.
- Femara drug is also used to help prevent the cancer from returning.
Apply Coupons & Get Discounts: Medlife Coupon Code | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Femara
Femara is prescribed for:
Post-menopausal women with hormone receptor positive early breast cancer or with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
Know About: Czam Uses | Cipralex Uses
How does Femara work?
Femara works by inhibiting the aromatase enzyme by competitively binding to the heme of the cytochrome P450 subunit of the enzyme, resulting in a reduction of estrogen biosynthesis in all tissues which further inhibits the growth of cancer of the breast.
Read About: Fesovit Capsule
Femara Price in India
|Specifics||Femara Price in India|
|Femara 2.5mg Tablet||Rs. 382|
Checkout: Chlorpromazine Price | Contractubex Price
How to take Femara?
Femara is administered orally in the form of tablet.
Know More: Cordarone Composition
Common dosage of Femara
The recommended dose of Femara is 2.5 mg tablet administered once a day, without regard to meals.
Also Read: Cyproheptadine Dosage
When to avoid Femara & Precautions to take?
- Avoid using Femara if you are allergic to it or any other inactive ingredients present along with it.
- Femara is contraindicated in women having a pre-menopausal hormonal status, during pregnancy and lactation.
- Before receiving this medicine, tell your doctor if you have severe kidney, liver problem or bone diseases.
- Femara make you drowsy, thus driving and performing activities that require mental alertness is not recommended.
Know About: Cimetidine Precaution
Side Effects of Femara
- Bone effects
- Increased cholesterol
- Hot flashes
- Arthralgia (joint pain)
Know About: Conversyl Side Effects
Effect on organs?
- Cardiovascular reactions- Hypertension, chest pain, coronary heart disease, stroke, heart attack and blood clot in veins.
- Central nervous system reactions- Weakness, headache, dizziness, fatigue, sleeplessness, drowsiness, anxiety and depression.
- Dermatological reactions- Hot flushes, increased sweating, night sweats, rash, hair loss and itching.
- Eye and ENT reactions- Blurred vision.
- Gastrointestinal reactions- Nausea, constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and loss of appetite.
- Genitourinary reactions- Breast pain, urinary tract infection, kidney disorder, vaginal bleeding and vaginal dryness.
- Hepatic reactions- Increased liver enzymes level.
- Metabolic reactions- Increased level of cholesterol in blood, increased weight and high calcium in blood.
- Musculoskeletal reactions- Joint pain, bone pain, back pain, limb pain, inflammation of joints, muscle pain, fracture and inflammation due to fracture.
- Other reactions- Swelling of leg, infections or infestations, influenza, pain and pleural effusion.
Reported allergic reactions?
Allergic reactions may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, throat, hands/legs
Drug interactions to be careful about?
- Femara may decrease the effect of clopidogrel and increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Oxcarbazepine may decrease the effect of Femara if taken together.
- Estrogen-containing preparations may decrease the effect of Femara, if administered together.
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 to 6 weeks and lasts for an average duration of 2 days.
Storage Requirements for Femara
- Keep it in an air-tight container.
- Store at room temperature between (15 and 30)°C.
- Keep it away from direct light or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips when taking Femara
- Femara is not recommended for use in children.
- Only who have experienced menopause are prescribed with this medicine.
Is Femara addictive?
Can I have Femara with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Ask your doctor.
Can I have Femara when pregnant?
Can I have Femara when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Femara?
What happens if I overdose on Femara?
Causes of overdose of Femara are unknown. If experiencing any unusual effects, contact your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Femara?
Expired Femara may become ineffective in treating your prescribed conditions, thus to be on the safe side, it is important not to use expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Femara?
If you miss a dose of Femara, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double dose for a missed one.