Table of Contents
- 1 What is Fesovit?
- 2 Uses of Fesovit
- 3 How does Fesovit work?
- 4 How to take Fesovit?
- 5 Fesovit Common Dosage
- 6 When to Avoid Fesovit?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Fesovit:
- 8 Side-Effects of Fesovit:
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Fesovit Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Fesovit
- 12 FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Fesovit
- 13 Authored By –
1What is Fesovit?
It is predominantly used to prevent or treat Iron, Vitamin B12 deficiencies. Dark colored stools and bitter taste in mouth due to iron content in the drug is the common side effect. It should be totally avoided in case of allergic reactions or sensitive patients and in patients with gastric problems.
Fesovit Composition: Ferrous sulphate 150mg + Folic acid 1mg + Cyanocobalamin 15mcg + Nicotinamide 50mg + Pyridoxine hydrochloride 2mg.
Manufactured By: Glaxo Smithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required (also available as OTC)
Form: Capsules and Syrup
Price: Rs 145 for 30 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Multivitamin and Multi mineral (Nutritional Supplement).
2Uses of Fesovit
Fesovit used mainly for the purpose of preventing or treating the following conditions:
- Immunity Booster: Used as a source for boosting the immunity in cases of patients with low immunity.
- Anaemia: Used in cases of Iron Deficiency Anaemia coexisting with Vitamin B complex deficiency.
- Weakness: Used in cases of general weakness as it nourishes the body with the required amount of iron, folic acid and Vitamin B12.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Used in cases of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Appetite loss: Used to increase the appetite in patients with low appetite.
- Post surgical cases: Used for post surgical cases and patients in debilitated states.
3How does Fesovit work?
- Fesovit is basically a composition of Ferrous sulphate, Folic acid, Cyanocobalamin, Nicotinamide, Pyridoxine hydrochloride.
- It acts on Megaloblastic bone marrow to produce normoblastic bone marrow and thereby helps in producing blood cells and platelets.
- It helps in metabolism of fats and proteins and therefore, it lowers the blood cholesterol by inhibiting LDL (low density lipoprotein) synthesis.
- It also treats and manages Vitamin B12 deficiency.
4How to take Fesovit?
- Fesovit is available in the form of capsules and syrup.
- Fesovit capsule should preferably be taken after meals or as recommended by the physician but it is always recommended to take it at a fixed time daily so that the amount of drug is present inside the body at all times.
- If one is taking Fesovit for iron deficiency anaemia, it can be taken 1hour before the meals as well because iron is well absorbed on empty stomach.
- Fesovit capsules are advised to be swallowed as a whole instead of chewing or crushing it.
- In order to measure the prescribed dose, a medication-measuring cup inside the package of the drug or a proper measuring device should be used instead of using a household spoon.
- Before consuming Fesovit syrup, it should be shaken up properly to have a homogenous mix of medication
- If it is taken as over the counter (OTC) product, the label should be checked thoroughly for directions before use.
5Fesovit Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The most recommended adult dose is one capsule once a day or as advised by the doctor.
- Advisable for patients with liver and kidney disease to consult with their physician before using Fesovit syrup.
- Fesovit is not indicated for use in paediatric population.
- In case of missed dose, consume it as soon as possible, but it should be avoided in case it is already time for the next dose. Do not take double the dose to avoid overdose
- In case of persistence of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
Q. What happens if I overdose on Fesovit?
Fesovit should always be consumed as per the prescribed dose. Overdose can lead to some serious undesirable effects. Acute overdose of Fesovit requires immediate medical attention. Acute intake of 75mg/kg of elemental iron can be extremely dangerous for children. The doctor or trained medical staff should be immediately consulted in case of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Fesovit?
Fesovit should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Fesovit?
Expired Fesovit may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Fesovit?
Fesovit can take first few weeks to show its desired effect after oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Fesovit stay?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual and also depends on the severity of the condition being treated.
Read About: Femara Dosage | Cordarone Tablet
6When to Avoid Fesovit?
Do not Consume Fesovit if:
- Liver/kidney disorders: In known cases of Liver/kidney dysfunction or diseases, Fesovit should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Allergy: If there is any known allergy/hypersensitivity to any of its components.
- Iron intolerance: In cases of intolerance of any individual towards Iron.
- Paediatric population: In cases of paediatric population.
- Other anemias: In cases of anemia other than iron deficiency anemia.
- Blood transfusion: In cases of patients on repeated blood transfusion.
- Concomitant use of parenteral iron: In cases of patients already on use of parenteral iron.
- Gastrointestinal problems: In cases of gastric problems like ulcerative colitis, intestinal strictures, inflammatory bowel disease.
7Precautions While Taking Fesovit:
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Fesovit should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Fesovit should be taken as advised by the physician to have desired effects and drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Chronic overdose: Avoid chronic overdose of the drug as it can lead to haemochromatosis.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid overdose of drug.
Warnings When Taking Fesovit
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead increased risk of side effects.
- The Doctor should always be informed if you are consuming any other nutritional supplement with same composition.
- Iron preparation can lead to poisoning in cases of children.
- Long term treatment can lead to optic neuropathies.
Know About: Cimetidine Side Effects | Contratubex Side Effects
8Side-Effects of Fesovit:
The side effects associated with Fesovit are:
- Gastrointestinal irritation (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Discolored faeces/ darkened stools (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Tooth discoloration (less common)
- Heartburn (common)
- Anorexia (less common)
- Pruritis (less common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Sensory neuropathy (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Fesovit?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Fesovit are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
What are the effects of Fesovit on organs?
Fesovit can affect the liver and kidney directly. Therefore, extra caution is advisable before administering the drug to severe liver and kidney impaired patients.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Fesovit. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Fesovit. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Fesovit
Tea, coffee, eggs and milk are to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Fesovit
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (moderate)
- Doxycycline (moderate): forms insoluble combinations with iron that leads to decreased absorption of Fesovit and doxycycline.
- Flouroquinolones (moderate): Fesovit impairs the absorption of Flouroquinolone. A gap of 2 hours before and 4 hours after consuming ferrous containing drugs is advisable.
- Methyldopa (moderate): Fesovit reduces the hypotensive effect of Methyldopa.
- NSAIDs (severe): Can intensify the irritation of gastrointestinal mucosa.
- Phenytoin (severe): Fesovit can cause decreased absorption of Phenytoin.
- Acetohydroxamic Acid (moderate): Fesovit reduces absorption of both.
3. Effects of Fesovit on Lab Tests
Fesovit should be stopped 3 days before any benzidine or similar tests of faecal occult blood can lead to false positive results.
4. Fesovit interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any liver and kidney impairment, and peptic ulcer.
Q. Can I have Fesovit with alcohol?
No, Fesovit can interact with alcohol to produce folate deficiency state. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Fesovit.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Tea, coffee, eggs and milk are to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Fesovit when pregnant?
Fesovit can be administered to pregnant women only if necessary and the doctor should always be informed if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Fesovit when feeding a baby?
Fesovit can excrete folic acid in breast milk, although it is not known to cause any adverse effect or harm to the baby. It is advisable to avoid the drug unless absolutely necessary and the doctor should always be informed about the case.
Q. Can I drive after taking Fesovit?
Fesovit does not affect the ability to drive but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs after consumption of Fesovit.
Read About: Chlorpromazine | Cipralex Tablet | Conversyl | Cyproheptadine
10Buyer’s Guide – Fesovit Composition, Variant and Price
|Fesovit Syrup||Elemental copper 0.5mg + elemental magnesium 3mg + Elemental manganese 0.5mg + Elemental zinc 0.5mg + Ferrous Ammonium Citrate 50MG + Ginseng 50mg + Iodine 0.1 MG + Vitamin E 5mg/5ml.||Rs. 13.21 for 1 pack.|
Buy Smart & Save Money: Myra Medicines Coupon Code | 1mg Coupon Code
11Substitutes of Fesovit
The following are alternative drugs for Fesovit:
- Irex Tablet:
- Manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd.
- Price- Rs. 87
- Roselina Tablet:
- Manufactured by UTH Healthcare.
- Price- Rs. 108
- Autrin Capsule:
- Manufactured by Pfizer Ltd.
- Price- Rs.112.59
- Ferrogen-XT Tablet:
- Manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price- Rs. 102
Storage requirements for Fesovit
- Fesovit should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at room temperature, away from direct heat or light at room temperature.
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Checkout: Czam Price
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Fesovit
Q. What is Fesovit?
Ans. Fesovit is an oral supplement used mainly for the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia and deficiency of vitamin B12. Fesovit provides iron to the body which helps to restore iron deficiency at a quick pace thus leading to faster replenishment of iron stores inside the tissues and correction of anaemia.
Q. What are the uses of Fesovit?
Ans. Fesovit works both for pain as well as fever. It is usually taken in cases of a headache, muscular pain, menstrual cramps, and toothache.
Q. What are the side effects of Fesovit?
Ans. The most common side effects of Fesovit are Gastrointestinal irritation, Abdominal pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Discolored faeces/ darkened stools, Constipation, Tooth discoloration, Heartburn
Q. How long does it take for Fesovit to show results?
Ans. Fesovit shows its effect within first few weeks of starting administration of drug.
Q. Should Fesovit be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Yes, Fesovit can be taken empty stomach, as iron gets absorbed well on empty stomach but in cases of stomach disorders it is better to consume Fesovit after meals to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Fesovit make you drowsy?
Ans. Fesovit does not cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Fesovit doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 8-10 hours should be there between two doses to avoid iron toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Fesovit should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Fesovit.
Q. Does Fesovit effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Fesovit safe for children?
Ans. It is not advisable to administer the drug to paediatric population as it is not considered safe for children. Always consult a paediatrician before administering Fesovit in children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Fesovit?
Ans. Any severe liver and kidney impairment, iron intolerance or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Fesovit.
Q. Is Fesovit legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.