What is Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is a medication which is used to fight or prevent infection by producing white blood cells in your body.
What is Filgrastim used for?
- Infections after chemotherapy
- Low count of a type of white blood cells
How Does Filgrastim Work?
Filgrastim is a man-made protein which acts by increasing the production of white blood cells in your body.
How to Take Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is an injectable drug which is to be given by a trained healthcare professional into your veins or under your skin. You may take Filgrastim on an empty or full stomach.
Common Dosage for Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is generally prescribed once daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Filgrastim?
Avoid Filgrastim if:
- You are allergic to any component of this drug
- You have sickle cell disease
- You have spleen impairment
- You have a blood disorder
- You are receiving radiation therapy
Side-Effects of Filgrastim
- Pain in body
- Risk of easy bruising and bleeding
- Blood in vomit
- Increased heartbeat
- Decreased urination
- Hair loss
- Weight loss
- Shoulder pain
Effects of Filgrastim on Organs?
Long-term use of Filgrastim is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Filgrastim are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Effects/Results After Consuming Filgrastim
The effect of Filgrastim can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your allergic symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Things to Know About Filgrastim
Is Filgrastim addictive?
Filgrastim is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Filgrastim with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Filgrastim. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Filgrastim causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Filgrastim when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Filgrastim if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take Filgrastim.
Can I have Filgrastim when feeding a baby?
Filgrastim is known to pass in mother’s milk to baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Filgrastim?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Filgrastim. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is given to you by health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of overdose are very less.
What happens if I use expired Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is given to you by health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of expired drug administration are very less.
What happens if I miss a dose of Filgrastim?
Filgrastim is given to you by a health care provider or a nurse, so the chances of missed dose are very less.
- Always store Filgrastim in a refrigerator
- Do not store Filgrastim in freezer
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Filgrastim
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Filgrastim if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Do not shake the vial of Filgrastim as it can decrease the effectiveness of the drug.
- Wait for about 30 minutes after taking Filgrastim out from the refrigerator and then use it.
- Don’t give injection on same site every day to avoid soreness.