Table of Contents
- What is Flagyl 400?
- How does Flagyl 400 work?
- Flagyl 400 Price in India
- How to Take Flagyl 400?
- Common Dosage For Flagyl 400
- Precautions- When to Avoid Flagyl 400
- Side-effects of Flagyl 400
- Effects on organs
- Reported Allergic Reactions
- Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Storage Requirement
- Pro Tips When Taking Flagyl 400
- Is Flagyl 400 Addictive?
- Can I have Flagyl 400 with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Flagyl 400 When Pregnant?
- Can I have Flagyl 400 when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Flagyl 400 MG Tablet?
- What happens if I overdose on Flagyl 400?
- What happens if I eat expired Flagyl 400 MG Tablet?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Flagyl 400?
Flagyl Composition – Metronidazole 400 MG
Manufactured By – Abbott
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 13.44
Quantity – 15 tablets in 1 strip
What is Flagyl 400?
The name of chief drug present in Flagyl 400 is metronidazole.
- This belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics.
- It works by killing bacteria and parasites that cause infections in your body.
- It can be used to:
- Treat blood infections
- Treat infectious diseases of brain, lung, bones, genital tract, pelvic area, stomach and intestines – Treat infectious diseases of mouth, teeth and gums.
- Treat infected leg ulcers and pressure sores
- Prevent infections after surgery
Check out Hindi translation of this article - Flagyl 400 in Hindi
Also Read: 1Mg Medicines | Medlife Medicines
How does Flagyl 400 work?
- Its exact mechanism of action has not been entirely determined as yet.
- It has been proposed that it works by inhibiting energy production in bacteria and parasites and damages the DNA.
Flagyl 400 Price in India
|Specifics||Flagyl 400 Price|
|400 mg Strips of 15 Tablets||Rs 12.66|
How to Take Flagyl 400?
Flagyl 400 MG Tablet usually comes in the form of tablets which has to taken by mouth with a glass of water as directed by your doctor.
- Do not crush or chew the tablets
- Take these tablets during or just after a meal.
Common Dosage For Flagyl 400
- The dose of Flagyl 400 will depend on your needs and the illness being treated
- The length of your treatment will depend on the type of illness you have and how bad it is.
- The usual dose for adults is given below:
- To treat bacterial infection in adults
- The initial dose is 800mg .
After 8 hours take another dose of 400mg and repeat this dose every 8 hours
Also Read: Flexon MR Dosage | Flexura D Dosage | Flunarizine Dosage
Precautions- When to Avoid Flagyl 400
- Flagyl 400 MG Tablet doesn’t work in case of viral infections (such as flu, common cold)). Unnecessary use of antibiotic must be avoided because it decreases its efficacy.
- Avoid taking Flagyl 400 if you are allergic to metronidazole or nitroimidazoles.
- Avoid taking Flagyl 400 if you are suffering from active neurological disorders.
- Avoid taking Flagyl 400 if you have a history of blood disease, hypothyroidism or hypoadrenalism.
- Flagyl 400 can potentiate the symptoms of known or previously unrecognized candidiasis. Therefore, treatment with an anti fungal agent may be required.
- Laboratory tests – Flagyl 400 may interfere with certain laboratory tests, such as serum AST, ALT, SGOT, SGPT, LDH, triglycerides, and glucose hexokinase.
Side-effects of Flagyl 400
- Heart related: Flattening of the T-wave, flushing, loss of consciousness
- Central nervous system: Aseptic meningitis, ataxia, confusion, coordination impaired, depression, dizziness, fever, headache, insomnia, irritability, seizure, vertigo hallucinations, convulsions and a tingling or numbness feeling in the hands, legs and feet (peripheral neuropathy).
- Dermatologic: Erythematous rash, itching, Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Endocrine & metabolic: Disulfiram-like reaction, dysmenorrhea
- Gastrointestinal: Nausea, loss of appetite, abdominal cramping, constipation, diarrhea, epigastric distress, furry tongue, unusual/metallic taste, vomiting.
- Genitourinary: darkened urine
Effects on organs
- Patients should be warned that Flagyl 400 may darken urine.
- Dose must be reduced in patients suffering from liver diseases.
Reported Allergic Reactions
- Rarely, an allergic reaction with a skin rash, red, itchy, raised welts on the skin and fever may occur.
Drug Interactions To Be Careful About
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use.
- Possible drug interactions have been seen with –
- Disulfiram – Psychotic reactions have been reported in alcoholic patients who are using metronidazole and disulfiram concurrently.
- Warfarin and other Oral Anticoagulants
- Drugs that Inhibit CYP450 Enzymes, such as Cimetidine
- Drugs that Induce CYP450 Enzymes, such as Phenytoin
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming.. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval
Shows Effects / Results In:
- You should start to feel recovered during the first few days of treatment with Flagyl 400 MG Tablet.
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of infection from your body (even if the symptoms disappear)
Also Read: EVION 400 Side Effect | EVION LC Side Effect | Etoshine 90 Side Effect
- Store below 25°C in original packing and protect from direct light and moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Flagyl 400
- Flagyl 400 MG Tablet may cause decreases in white blood cells (needed to help fight infection) as well as increases in liver enzymes (sign of liver damage). Blood tests should be done regularly to check if there are any changes in these values.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea, you must consume appropriate amounts of fluids or rehydration drinks in order to avoid dehydration.
Also Read about other medicine's: Febrex Plus | Femilon
Is Flagyl 400 Addictive?
Can I have Flagyl 400 with alcohol?
No. you should not consume alcohol/alcoholic beverages or any product containing propylene glycol while being treated with Flagyl 400 and minimum up to 3 days afterwards.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
The following food items must be avoided (known to have anti-platelet activity) –
- grape seed
- green tea
Can I have Flagyl 400 When Pregnant?
Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Flagyl 400 is probably safe to be used during pregnancy as there were no adverse results in animal studies.
However due to lack of human studies, you must always consult your doctor.
Can I have Flagyl 400 when feeding a baby?
Always inform your doctor if you are breast-feeding your child.
Caution should be used with caution during lactation. It is advisable to withhold lactation while you are on treatment with Flagyl 400.
A lactating mother can alternatively opt to pump and discard human milk as long as she is on treatment with Flagyl 400, and for 24-48 hours after the course ends and feed her child stored human milk or formula.
Can I drive after taking Flagyl 400 MG Tablet?
You should not drive if you feel dizzy, drowsy or less alert than normal after taking Flagyl 400.
What happens if I overdose on Flagyl 400?
An overdose of Flagyl 400 might cause nausea, vomiting, and loss of coordination.
If you have taken an over-dose, it is advisable to contact your consulting physician immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Flagyl 400 MG Tablet?
The antibiotic may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
What happens if I miss a dose of Flagyl 400?
If you miss a dose of Flagyl 400 MG Tablet, take it as soon as possible.
However, if it is time for your next dose, do not double the dose, just carry on with your regular schedule.