What is Flomax?
Flomax belongs to a group of drugs called “alpha blockers”. Flomax contains “Tamsulosin hydrochloride” as its chief ingredient.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg Discount Coupon | Medlife Discount Code
Uses of Flomax
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) is used for the treatment of symptoms caused by prostate enlargement in men.
Also Read: Gardasil Uses | Herceptin Uses | Imdur Uses
How does Flomax work?
Flomax is an alpha blocker that causes relaxation of blood vessels (veins and arteries), thereby increasing the blood flow through them. It also causes muscle relaxation in the prostate and neck of the bladder, making it easier to pass urine.
How to Take Flomax?
- The dosage and duration of Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) advised is based on your age, physical health, severity of the condition and initial response to therapy.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken after breakfast in the morning.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Common Dosage for Flomax
- Flomax should be administered as advised. Do not take more than the recommended dose or for longer periods.
- Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) capsules 0.4 mg once daily is recommended as the dose for the treatment of the signs and symptoms of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia.
- Thereafter the dose may be gradually increased to 0.8mg daily.
Flomax Price In India
|200 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 45|
|Flomax OZ 200 mg/500mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 70|
|Flomax TZ 200 mg/600 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 55|
Also Read: Levaquin Price
When to Avoid Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)?
Flomax should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Sulfa allergy – In patients with sulfa allergy, allergic reaction to Flomax has been rarely reported.
- History of orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when getting up from a sitting or lying position)
- Patients with low blood pressure
- Patients with history of heart disease
- Eye problems – cataract, glaucoma
- Patients with kidney problems – difficulty in passing urine
- a blockage in digestive tract (stomach or intestines)
- severe constipation
- liver disease
Side-effects of Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the feet
- Chest cold, coughing
- Nasal stuffiness
- Stomach pain
- Changes in blood pressure
- Heart attack
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased/decreased heartbeats
- Chest pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes – jaundice
- Reduced blood cells count
- Blurred vision
- Abnormal ejaculation
Effect on organs?
Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- Flomax can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful.
- It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Flomax.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- other alpha-blocker drugs (such as prazosin, alfuzosin, tamsulosin)
- sildenafil, tadalafil or other erectile dysfunction medicines
- azole antifungals – ketoconazole, Itraconazole
- macrolide antibiotics – clarithromycin
- HIV protease inhibitor drugs – ritonavir
Using these medicines along with Flomax can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus, dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Flomax is taken along with these drugs.
Is Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) addictive?
Flomax is not addictive; however, self-medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Flomax with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Flomax therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) when pregnant?
Flomax is meant for use in males only.
Can I have Flomax when feeding a baby?
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)is meant for use in males only.
Can I drive after taking Flomax?
- Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) intake is associated with side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased blood pressure.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Flomax?
- Overdosage has been reported with Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride). Symptoms of overdosage include drowsiness, dizziness, and fainting.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)?
- A single dose of expired Flomax may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Flomax?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage Requirements for Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Flomax
- Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) can lead to a rapid fall in your blood pressure, especially when you first start taking the drug.
- You must always inform your doctor that you are taking Flomax and scheduled for a cataract surgery.