Table of Contents
- 1 What is Flunarizine?
- 2 Uses of Flunarizine
- 3 How does Flunarizine work?
- 4 Flunarizine Price in India
- 5 How to Take Flunarizine?
- 6 Common Dosage for Flunarizine
- 7 Precautions- When to Avoid Flunarizine
- 8 Side-effects of Flunarizine
- 9 Effect on organs
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In:
- 13 Storage of Flunarizine
- 14 Pro Tips When Taking Flunarizine
- 15 FAQ
- 16 Is Flunarizine addictive?
- 17 Can I have Flunarizine with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Flunarizine when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Flunarizine when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Flunarizine?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Flunarizine?
- 23 What happens if I take expired Flunarizine?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Flunarizine?
What is Flunarizine?
Flunarizine belongs to a group of drugs called as “calcium channel blocker” and is primarily used in the prevention of migraine.
Flunarizine is available in two forms:
- 5mg Tablet
- 10mg Tablet
Uses of Flunarizine
- Flunarizine can be used in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases:
- Prevention of migraine attacks
- Reduction of frequency and intensity of migraine attacks
- Prevention and treatment of vertigo
- Refractory epilepsy resistant to conventional anti-epileptic therapy
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Motion sickness
- Flunarizine can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
How does Flunarizine work?
- Flunarizine is a selective calcium channel antagonist which blocks the entry of calcium through calcium channels and prevents cellular calcium overload.
- Flunarizine also had additional anti-histaminic (anti-allergic) property.
Flunarizine Price in India
|Strips of 10 Tablets||Rs 42.55|
How to Take Flunarizine?
- The dosage and duration of Flunarizine is based on your age, physical condition, and response to therapy and as advised by the doctor.
- Flunarizine is well absorbed orally and may be taken with or without food or as advised. For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time preferably bed time.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without doctor’s advice or before the stipulated course of the therapy is completed.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Common Dosage for Flunarizine
- Dosage is usually determined by your physician based on your condition.
- The recommended therapeutic dosage for Flunarizine in adults is 10mg once daily at night.
- For patients above 65years of age and children, 5 mg once daily dose of Flunarizine is recommended.
- If the patient responds well to the above mentioned treatment, then in maintenance phase, similar dose can be administered for 5 days in a week with 2 successive medicine free days every week.
- Maintenance phase therapy can be continued for up to 6 months if well tolerated.
- In case if your condition persists or worsens, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
Also Read: Flagyl 400 Dosage | Femilon Dosage | Febrex Plus Dosage
Precautions- When to Avoid Flunarizine
Flunarizine should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients suffering from depression
- Parkinson’s disease or other extra pyramidal disorders
- Patients with liver disease
Other medicine's Precautions: Flexon MR Precautions | Flexura D Precautions
Side-effects of Flunarizine
- In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Menstrual irregularities
- Muscle ache
- Skin rash
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs
- Flunarizine may affect central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including depression, anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, sedation etc.
- Patients with severe liver disease should use Flunarizine with caution and under supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Flunarizine.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- Oral contraceptives
- Using all these medicines along with Flunarizine can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
- Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when flunarizine is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- A complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
- Changes in the body are observed over a period of 2-3 weeks after administration of Flunarizine as the effects of this medicine are cumulative.
Other medicine's Side Effect: EVION LC Side Effect | EVION 400 Side Effect
Storage of Flunarizine
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Flunarizine
- Flunarizine is not indicated for use in acute migraine attack. It is used for prophylaxis measure to reduce the severity and incidence of migraine attacks
In a small proportion of patients, depression is commonly seen as a side effect especially in younger patients. Seek medical care immediately in such instances.
Also read about other medicine: Etoshine 90
Is Flunarizine addictive?
- No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Can I have Flunarizine with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Flunarizine therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness and sedation.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Flunarizine when pregnant?
- Flunarizine is not recommended during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the potential risks.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Flunarizine when feeding a baby?
- Flunarizine is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Flunarizine?
- Flunarizine intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Flunarizine?
- Flunarizine should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency may cause serious side-effects like sedation, increased heart beat and agitation.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Flunarizine?
- A single dose of expired Flunarizine may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Flunarizine?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.