Table of Contents
- 1 What is Fluoxetine?
- 2 Uses of Fluoxetine
- 3 How does Fluoxetine work?
- 4 How to take Fluoxetine?
- 5 Fluoxetine Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage of Fluoxetine
- 7 When to avoid Fluoxetine?
- 8 Precautions when taking Fluoxetine
- 9 Side Effects of Fluoxetine
- 10 Effects on organs?
- 11 Storage Requirements for Fluoxetine
- 12 Pro Tips When Taking Fluoxetine
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Fluoxetine addictive?
- 15 Can I have Fluoxetine with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Fluoxetine when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Fluoxetine when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Fluoxetine?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Fluoxetine?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Fluoxetine?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Fluoxetine?
What is Fluoxetine?
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Fluoxetine (PROZAC, others), potentiate and prolong the action of 5-HT released by neuronal activity. Fluoxetine is widely used treatment for endogenous depression. SSRI fluoxetine (SYMBYAX) has been approved by the FDA for treatment-resistant major depression.
Manufactured By – ICON LIFE SCIENCES
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Coupon
Uses of Fluoxetine
Fluoxetine is used to treat:
- generalized anxiety disorder
- panic disorder
- social anxiety disorder
- premature ejaculation
- premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Also Read: Escitalopram Uses | Etodolac Uses
How does Fluoxetine work?
- Prozac is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It works by blocking the absorption of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain.
- SSRIs inhibit 5-HT reuptake.
- Regulating the amount of serotonin helps brain cells transmit messages to each other. This results in a better and more stable mood.
How to take Fluoxetine?
- Take Fluoxetine by mouth, usually once daily in the morning.
- In case of taking it twice, one is to be taken in the morning and the other at noon.
Fluoxetine Price In India
|20 mg,Hcl 0.25 mg Alprazolam||Rs 30.00|
Common Dosage of Fluoxetine
- Depression in adults is treated with 20-80 mg of Fluoxetine daily and 10-20 mg in case of children.
- The olanzapine-fluoxetine combination is available in fixed-dose combinations of either 6 or 12 mg of olanzapine and 25 or 50 mg of fluoxetine.
- A combination preparation of low-dose olanzapine and Fluoxetine is approved for bipolar depression, and low dose risperidone (i.e., 1 mg) increases clinical response rates when added to existing SSRI treatment in SSRI non-responders.
When to avoid Fluoxetine?
- Do not start Fluoxetine if you are on medications like linezolid or intravenous methylene blue because there is an increased risk of serotonin syndrome.
- At least 14 days should pass after discontinuation of an MAOI which is used to treat psychiatric disorders before taking Fluoxetine.
Precautions when taking Fluoxetine
- Do not take Fluoxetine with a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor.
- Do not start taking Fluoxetine during the 2 weeks after you stop an MAO inhibitor and wait 5 weeks after stopping Fluoxetine before you start taking an MAO inhibitor.
- Fluoxetine may cause some teenagers and young adults to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors.
- It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies or to become more depressed.
- Fluoxetine may increase your risk for bleeding problems. Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking other medicines that thin the blood, such as aspirin, NSAIDs or warfarin.
Side Effects of Fluoxetine
Some of the reported side effects of Fluoxetine are:
- Trouble sleeping
- Loss of appetite
- Sexual dysfunction
- Dry mouth
- Serotonin syndrome
Also Read: Gabapentin Side Effect | Guaifenesin Side Effect | Heparin Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Nervous system- anxiety, insomnia, tremor, dizziness
- Gastrointestinal- anorexia, nausea, vasodilation, diarrhea
- Skin- alopecia
- Urogenital- micturition
- Other- decreased libido, sweating, rash, abnormal ejaculation
Storage Requirements for Fluoxetine
- Keep it in a dry place, away from moisture and direct heat.
- Fluoxetine should be kept in a tight container.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
Pro Tips When Taking Fluoxetine
- Prozac, or Fluoxetine, is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and a widely used antidepressant.
- It is considered safe and effective in treating depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and bulimia.
- Adverse effects include an increased risk of suicidal thoughts in some younger people.
- Fluoxetine should not be used with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and some other drugs.
- Anyone who wishes to stop using Prozac should do so with a doctor’s help, to prevent adverse reactions.
Is Fluoxetine addictive?
- No, but if taken in a higher amount, Fluoxetine may cause withdrawal symptoms such as headache, dizziness.
Can I have Fluoxetine with alcohol?
- If you drink alcohol while taking Fluoxetine, it can cause drowsiness, it is even possible that alcohol might make you feel more drowsy than usual.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- High amount of dietary fibers, food containing tryptophan (eggs, chocolates, red meat) and herbal supplements.
Can I have Fluoxetine when pregnant?
- No, when taken during pregnancy, Fluoxetine can sometimes cause problems in developing babies.
Can I have Fluoxetine when feeding a baby?
- No, Fluoxetine can be passed to the baby in breast milk, and side effects have been seen in breastfed babies.
Can I drive after taking Fluoxetine?
- Taking Fluoxetine may affect your concentration to do things like driving a car, riding a bike or anything else that needs a lot of focus.
What happens if I overdose on Fluoxetine?
- Fluoxetine overdose may cause nervousness, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, fever, loss of consciousness.
What happens if I eat expired Fluoxetine?
- It is advised not to take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Fluoxetine?
- Take the next dose at the scheduled time. Never take more than the dose for a missed one.
Other medicine's to read: Methylphenidate | Methylprednisolone | Metoclopramide