What Is Flurbiprofen?
Flurbiprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs). It is mainly used as a pre-operative anti-miotic (in an ophthalmic solution) which basically prevents the narrowing of pupils. Flurbiprofen is also used orally for arthritis or dental pain.
Manufactured By – Abbott India Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife coupons | Netmeds coupons | 1mg coupons
Uses Of Flurbiprofen
Flurbiprofen eye drops are used before certain types of eye surgery, it prevents the pupil of the eye from narrowing. Flurbiprofen tablets are used for relieving pain in case of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and other related conditions
Flurbiprofen tablets relieve pain, reduce swelling and ease inflammation in conditions affecting the joints, muscles, and tendons including:
- Acute gout
- Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis affecting the spine and large joints)
- A backache
- Sprains and strains
- Soft tissue sports injuries
- Frozen shoulder, Dislocations
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendon for example tennis elbow)
- Bursitis (inflammation of sacs filled with lubricating fluid in joints)
- Dental pain
- Muscle pain
- Painful periods
Read More: Deslor composition | Dramamine composition | Enuff composition
Flurbiprofen contains Flurbiprofen as an active ingredient.
How Does Flurbiprofen Work?
- Flurbiprofen is a painkiller that works by obstructing the production of an enzyme called as Cyclo-oxygenase which helps in Prostaglandin synthesis.
- Synthesis of Prostaglandins in the body is associated with symptoms like pain, fever, swelling etc.
- Therefore by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, Ibuprofen helps in relieving all associated symptoms (pain, swelling etc).
How to Take Flurbiprofen?
- Flurbiprofen is to be taken orally with water.
- Tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- They should be taken after food and with plenty of fluids.
- Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug. If stomach upset occurs while taking this medication, take it with food, milk, or an antacid.
Common Dosage Of Flurbiprofen
- The dose varies according to the condition of the patient.
- Always take Flurbiprofen at the dose adviced by your doctor.
- It is available as 50 mg and 100 mg tablets and also as 0.03% eye drops.
- A single dose should not be more than 100mg.
Read More: Etilaam dosage | Fefol Dosage | Flotral dosage
When to Avoid Flurbiprofen & Precautions To Take?
- Do not take Flurbiprofen if you have asthma.
- Allergy- Flurbiprofen is not recommended if you have a known allergy of medicines belonging to NSAIDs. Severe allergic conditions like Asthma and itching can be triggered in such cases.
- Peptic Ulcer–in patients suffering from peptic ulcer, Ibuprofen can cause severe swelling and bleeding in the stomach, colon, and anus.
- Flurbiprofen should not be used in neonates suffering from Congenital Heart Disease.
- Use with caution in case of liver, kidney and heart diseases.
Side Effects Of Flurbiprofen
Common side effects of Flurbiprofen include-
- Upset stomach
- High blood pressure
What Are The Effects of Flurbiprofen on Organs?
- In the stomach, it can cause ulcers which lead to serious bleeding from the stomach or intestine.
- Patients with pre-existing liver diseases should use this drug with caution and under the supervision of their doctor.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions to Flurbiprofen have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, fever etc. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About?
It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Flurbiprofen include –
- ACE Inhibitors
- Aldosterone antagonists
- Calcineurin inhibitors
- Fluconazole, Ketaconazole
- Loop diuretics
- Prostaglandin analogues
- Thiazide diuretics
Shows Effects/Results In
The onset of action would be seen after 2 weeks of taking Flurbiprofen regularly.
Storage Requirements for Flurbiprofen
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from the reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Flurbiprofen
- Take Flurbiprofen after meals to lessen the side effects.
- Do not use Flurbiprofen if you take alcohol regularly, as it may lead to gastric bleeding.
Is Flurbiprofen addictive?
No, Flurbiprofen is not addictive.
Can I have Flurbiprofen with alcohol?
No, it is not recommended to have Flurbiprofen with alcohol.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Flurbiprofen when pregnant?
Avoid having Flurbiprofen when pregnant unless absolutely necessary.
Can I have Flurbiprofen when feeding a baby?
Avoid having Flurbiprofen when feeding a baby unless absolutely necessary.
Can I drive after taking Flurbiprofen?
No, one is not recommended to drive after taking Flurbiprofen.
What happens if I overdose on Flurbiprofen?
Seek medical attention upon overdosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Flurbiprofen?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Flurbiprofen?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose
Also Read: Flunarin Tablet | Longifene | Lorfast tablet