Table of Contents
- What is Folic Acid?
- Uses of Folic Acid
- How Does Folic Acid Work?
- How to Take Folic Acid?
- Folic Acid Price in India
- Common Dosage for Folic Acid
- Precautions – When to Avoid Folic Acid?
- Side-Effects of Folic Acid
- Effects of Folic Acid on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Folic Acid
- Storage Requirements about Folic Acid
- Pro Tips When Taking Folic Acid
- FAQs – Things to Know About Folic acid
- Is Folic Acid addictive?
- Can I have Folic Acid with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Folic Acid when pregnant?
- Can I have Folic Acid when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Folic Acid?
- What happens if I overdose on Folic Acid?
- What happens if I eat expired Folic Acid?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Folic Acid?
- When Was Folic Acid Made?
What is Folic Acid?
Folic acid is one of the forms of vitamin B9 and is water soluble. It is commonly found in some food substances. Folic acid is also available in dietary supplements and its brand name is Folacin 800.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Med Life | Netmeds Coupons
Uses of Folic Acid
- Folic acid is used to cure folic acid deficiency.
- Folic acid is used to treat some types of anaemia.
- It helps the body to produce new cells, especially red blood cells, in the hair and skin.
- At the time of pregnancy, Folic acid is used to prevent miscarriage and helps in the development of the foetus by blocking neural tube defects.
- It blocks changes in DNA which may lead to the result of cancer.
Also Read: Duloxetine Uses | Estradiol Uses
How Does Folic Acid Work?
Folic acid is required for the proper development of IQ in the human mind. It is used to synthesize nucleic materials in the form of DNA which in turn helps to produce other cells in the body.
How to Take Folic Acid?
- The dose and time interval for taking folic acid may vary according to the doctor’s prescription.
- It comes in the form of tablets, capsule, powder, and liquid.
- Folic acid tablets should be taken orally either one hour before a meal or two hours after a meal. It means this drug should be taken on an empty stomach.
- It is recommended to take up to 400 mg Folic acid per day.
Folic Acid Price in India
|Specifics||Folic acid Price|
|A 5mg Tablet||Rs 1.00|
Common Dosage for Folic Acid
The common dosage for Folic acid can be increased to up to 500mg per day as per the following conditions:
- 0-6 months: 65 mg
- 7-12 months: 80 mg
- 1-3 years: 150mg
- 4-8 years: 200mg
- 9-13 years: 300mg
- 14 years and up: 400 mg
- Pregnant women: 600mg
- Breastfeeding women: 500mg
Precautions – When to Avoid Folic Acid?
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should always take their physician’s advice to take a certain amount of folic acid so it is safe to use.
Side-Effects of Folic Acid
There are some rare side effects of Folic acid including:
- Troubled breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Sleeping disorder
- Allergies such as Rashes and swelling in mouth or tongue.
Effects of Folic Acid on Organs
High dosage of Folic acid may damage the functioning of the kidney.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Folic acid should not be taken with drugs such as phenytoin, methotrexate, nitrofurantoin, tetracycline, etc. It would reduce the effect. You should consult your doctor about the dosage as a high dose may cause seizures.
Effects/Results after Consuming Folic Acid
If taken as per the prescribed dosage, folic acid would be effective. Although, the result will be seen gradually.
Storage Requirements about Folic Acid
Folic acid should be stored in room temperature between 150C and 300C away from heat and moisture.
Pro Tips When Taking Folic Acid
- Make sure that you are not allergic to Folic acid.
- It is safe to take 400mg per day at the initial stage of pregnancy.
- If you have any kidney problem consult your doctor before taking Folic acid.
- Take a multivitamin supplement along with Folic acid.
FAQs – Things to Know About Folic acid
Is Folic Acid addictive?
Can I have Folic Acid with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Folic Acid when pregnant?
Yes. Folic acid is even prescribed to develop the foetus in the womb.
Can I have Folic Acid when feeding a baby?
It is recommended to consume up to 500mg folic acid per day while breastfeeding a baby.
Can I drive after taking Folic Acid?
It doesn’t affect driving or operating of any other pieces of machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Folic Acid?
It would cause numbness of the mouth or tongue, pain, weakness, tiredness, confusion, and troubled concentration. Consult the doctor as soon as possible.
What happens if I eat expired Folic Acid?
Generally, it doesn’t hurt to take expired vitamin supplementation but it would lose its potency to treat the condition.
What happens if I miss a dose of Folic Acid?
If you are taking Folic acid for getting pregnant, consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do so only if it’s not already time for the second dose as it is not advisable to take a double dosage.
When Was Folic Acid Made?
Folic acid was made in the late 1930s.
Also read about other medicine's: Adderall | Diltiazem | Diphenhydramine