Table of Contents
- 1 What is Folvite?
- 2 Uses of Folvite
- 3 How does Folvite work?
- 4 How to take Folvite?
- 5 Common Dosage for Folvite
- 6 When to Avoid Folvite?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Folvite
- 8 Side-Effects of Folvite
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Folvite
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Folvite
- 9.3 3. Effects of Folvite on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Folvite’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Folvite with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Folvite when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Folvite when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Folvite?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Folvite Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Folvite
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Folvite
- 12.1 Q. What is Folvite?
- 12.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Folvite to show results?
- 12.3 Q. Should Folvite be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.4 Q. Does Folvite make you drowsy?
- 12.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Folvite doses?
- 12.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.7 Q. Does Folvite effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.8 Q. Is Folvite safe for children?
- 12.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Folvite?
- 12.10 Q. Is Folvite legal in India?
- 13 Authored by –
What is Folvite?
Used predominantly to prevent or treat Folic Acid deficiencies like Megaloblastic anemia and increased nutritional demands of the body. General discomfort and stomachache are the common side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of allergic reactions or sensitive patients.
Folvite Composition: Folic acid 5mg.
Manufactured By: Pfizer Ltd.
Prescription: Not required (as it is available as OTC).
Form: Tablets and Capsules.
Price: Rs. 64.75 for 45 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Nutritional Supplement.
Uses of Folvite
Folvite used mainly for the purpose of preventing or treating the following conditions:
- Malabsorption Syndrome: Used in cases of patients with malabsorption syndrome like celiac disease.
- Anaemia: Used in cases of Anaemia like Megaloblastic Anaemia due to Folic Acid and Vitamin B12 Deficiency.
- Weakness: Used in cases of general weakness as it nourishes the body with the required amount of folic acid.
- Pregnancy: Used to prevent or treat Pregnancy induced Anaemia as body demands more nutrients during pregnancy and also prevents neural tube defects in newborns.
- Epilepsy: Used in cases of epileptic patients as an adjunct therapy with the antiepileptic drugs.
- Additive effect: Used in cases of cancer treatment to enhance effect of the drug 5 Fluorouracil.
- Lactation: Used in cases of lactating/nursing mothers as the body demand increases in such cases.
How does Folvite work?
- Folvite is basically a composition of Folic Acid.
- Folvite is given orally as a source of Folic Acid to replenish the Folic Acid stores inside the body.
- Folvite also works by enhancing the production of vital components that helps in normal body functioning.
How to take Folvite?
- Folvite should be taken as per the advised dose by the physician only. The duration and dosage is managed as per the age, medical condition and the response of every individual to the treatment.
- Folvite tablets should preferably be taken after meals or as recommended by the physician but it is always recommended to take it at a fixed time daily so that the amount of drug is present inside the body at all times.
- Folvite tablets are advised to be swallowed as a whole instead of chewing or crushing it.
- Folvite is taken more than one dose per day or as advised by the physician but it is advisable to keep a strict time gap between two doses.
- If it is taken as over the counter (OTC) product, the label should be checked thoroughly for directions before use.
Also read about other medicine's: Gabapin NT (1) | Follihair
Common Dosage for Folvite
- Folvite dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The most recommended adult dose is a single 5mg tablet once a day or as advised by the doctor.
- In case of the missed dose, consume it as soon as possible, but it should be avoided in case it is already time for the next dose. Do not take double the dose to avoid overdose
- In case of persistence of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately
Q. What happens if I overdose on Folvite?
Folvite should always be consumed as per the prescribed dose. Overdose can lead to some serious undesirable effects. The doctor or trained medical staff should be immediately consulted in case of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Folvite?
Folvite should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of the missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Folvite?
Expired Folvite may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Folvite and till when does the effect of Folvite stay?
The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual and also depends on the severity of the condition being treated.
Also Read: Grilinctus syrup Dosage | Hifenac - P Dosage | Fourderm Dosage
When to Avoid Folvite?
Do not Consume Folvite if:
- Allergy: If there is any known allergy/hypersensitivity to any of its components.
- Drug intolerance: In cases of intolerance of any individual towards Folvite.
Precautions While Taking Folvite
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Folvite should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Folvite should be taken as advised by the physician to have desired effects and drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid an overdose of the drug.
Warnings When Taking Folvite
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to increased risk of side effects.
- The Doctor should always be informed if you are consuming any other nutritional supplement with the same composition.
Side-Effects of Folvite
The side effects associated with Folvite are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (Less common)
- General discomfort (Less common)
- Weakness (less common)
- Fever (Less common)
- Stomachache (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Folvite?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Folvite are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
What are the effects of Folvite on organs?
No adverse effects of Folvite have been reported on any organ as such.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Folvite. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Folvite. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Folvite
Milk and dairy products are to be avoided, gap of 2-3 hours should be there between drug and milk or milk products
2. Medicines Interactions with Folvite
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Phenobarbitone (moderate)
- Fluorouracil (mild)
- Methotrexate (moderate)
- Primidone (moderate)
- Nitrofurantoin (mild)
3. Effects of Folvite on Lab Tests
Folvite does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Folvite’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergic reaction to the drug.
Q. Can I have Folvite with alcohol?
No, the interaction of Folvite with alcohol is not known. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Folvite.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Milk and dairy products are to be avoided and the gap of 2-3 hours should be there between drug and milk or milk products
Q. Can I have Folvite when pregnant?
Yes, but always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Q. Can I have Folvite when feeding a baby?
Yes, Folvite is safe for lactating mothers but always notify the doctor in such cases to be on the safer side.
Q. Can I drive after taking Folvite?
Folvite does not cause dizziness or drowsiness but it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Also Read: Glycomet GP2 Side Effect | Glimepiride Side Effect | Gemcal Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Folvite Composition, Variant and Price
|Folvite Variants||Folvite Composition||Folvite Price|
|Folvite MB Capsule||Folic Acid 5mg + Methylcobalamin 1500mcg + Pyridoxine 1.5mg||Rs. 157.93 for 15 Capsules|
|Folvite Active Capsule||L-methylfolate 1mg + Methylcobalamin 1500mcg + Pyridoxal 5-phosphate 0.5mg||Rs. 181.50 for 15 Capsules|
|Folvite DHA Capsule||Docosahexaenoic acid 200mg + L-methylfolate 1mg + Methylcobalamin 1500mcg + Pyridoxal 5-phosphate 0.5mg||Rs. 164.99 for 10 Capsules|
Substitutes of Folvite
The following are alternative drugs for Folvite:
- Sysfol 5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Systopic Laboratories Pvt Limited.
- Price – Rs. 31
- Folitas 5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price – Rs. 40
- Vitafol 5mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd
- Price – Rs. 41
- Fol 5 Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Zydus Cadila
- Price – Rs. 41
Storage requirements for Folvite
- Folvite should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at room temperature, away from direct heat or light.
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Folvite
Q. What is Folvite?
Ans. Folvite is an oral supplement used mainly for the treatment of Megaloblastic anemia and deficiency of Folic Acid.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Folvite to show results?
Ans. Folvite shows its effect within the first few weeks of starting administration of the drug.
Q. Should Folvite be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Yes, Folvite can be taken empty stomach but in cases of stomach disorders, it is better to consume Folvite after meals to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Folvite make you drowsy?
Ans. Folvite does not cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Folvite doses?
Ans. The ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Folvite toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Folvite should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Folvite.
Q. Does Folvite effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Folvite safe for children?
Ans. It is advisable to consult a paediatrician before administering Folvite in children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Folvite?
Ans. Any allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Folvite.
Q. Is Folvite legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Authored by –