Table of Contents
- 1 What is Formet?
- 2 Uses of Formet
- 3 How Does Formet Work?
- 4 How to Take Formet?
- 5 Formet Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Formet
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Formet?
- 8 Side-Effects of Formet
- 9 Allergic Reactions Reported
- 10 Effects of Formet on Organs
- 11 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results after Consuming Formet
- 13 Storage Requirements about Formet
- 14 Pro Tips When Taking Formet
- 15 FAQs – Things to Know About Formet
- 16 Is Formet addictive?
- 17 Can I have Formet with alcohol?
- 18 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 19 Can I have Formet when pregnant?
- 20 Can I have Formet when feeding a baby?
- 21 Can I drive after taking Formet?
- 22 What happens if I overdose on Formet?
- 23 What happens if I eat expired Formet?
- 24 What happens if I miss a dose of Formet?
- 25 When was Formet made?
What is Formet?
Formet is made up of an active ingredient known as Metformin. It is popularly known as a medication for Type II Diabetes. Formet should be taken along with a proper diet.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Offers
Uses of Formet
- Formet is used to treat polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Evidences are there that show it is also used to prevent cardiovascular diseases like heart attack and stroke along with cancer.
- Formet is used to prevent kidney damage and blindness.
- It is responsible for the prevention of loss of limbs and sexual functioning problems.
Also Read: Envas Uses | Etophylline Uses
How Does Formet Work?
Formet helps to restore insulin’s response that pancreas produce which is absorbed by the stomach or intestine. It increases the muscle cells sensitivity to insulin.
How to Take Formet?
- During the first few weeks, Formet should be taken with the meals to reduce stomach-related side effects.
- Swallow the drug wholly.
- Do not crush, break or chew the tablet.
- The liquid form of Formet should be measured correctly before taking orally.
Formet Price In India
|1 gm Tablet SR Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 10.00|
|500mg Strip of 10 Tablets SR||Rs 19.22|
|850 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 15.87|
|500 mg Strip of 10 Tablets FC||Rs 7.00|
Also Read: Gaviscon Price | Gemer Price | Glibenclamide Price
Common Dosage for Formet
- The dosage is different for different persons. So, it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For Type II Diabetic patients and Children – dosage prescribed by the doctor.
- Adults – Formet alone is taken up to 2500 mg per day. But the normal dosage is 1000 mg for one day.
- Formet with insulin can be taken up to 500mg per day.
- Formet along with sulfonylurea should be in a dose which is determined by the doctor.
- As in liquid form, Formet along with insulin can be taken up to 5 ml per day but should not exceed above 25ml.
- Similarly, sulfonylurea should be consulted with doctor beforehand.
- Formet alone should be taken up to 5 ml twice a day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Formet?
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t do excessive exercise more than the usual routine
- Don’t take Formet along with other diabetic medicines or certain other medications.
- Avoid the drug on a full stomach especially if you feel nausea and vomiting.
Side-Effects of Formet
Some common side effects of Formet are:
- Hypoglycaemia (Low Blood Glucose level)
- Asthenia (Physical weakness)
- Flatulence (Gastric problem)
- Myalgia (Muscle pain)
- Respiratory tract infection (Upper tract)
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Lactic acidosis
- Weight loss
- Sometimes heartburn and bloating may occur
Allergic Reactions Reported
No allergic reactions are reported with Formet.
Also Read: Fruselac Side Effect | Gabaneuron Side Effect | Ganaton Side Effect
Effects of Formet on Organs
As Formet is used for Fatty liver problem it doesn’t really cause any damage to the liver. But it causes lactic acidosis in patients who are diagnosed with high cirrhosis which can be harmful to both the liver and kidney.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Avoid taking Acetazolamide, topiramate, gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin, ciprofloxacin as they cause harmful effects on body when allowed to interact with Formet. It is always better to consult your doctor before taking any medications while you are taking Formet.
Effects/Results after Consuming Formet
It may show its effect on controlling glucose within 1 or 2 weeks. But the full recovery will happen after 2 or 3 months which of course may differ according to weight, lifestyle, diet, etc.
Storage Requirements about Formet
Formet can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Also, do not freeze the medication.
Pro Tips When Taking Formet
- While taking Formet, do not take large amounts of alcohol.
- It may increase the lactic acidosis which in turn can cause defects in functioning of liver and kidney.
FAQs – Things to Know About Formet
Is Formet addictive?
Can I have Formet with alcohol?
No. Having Formet with alcohol will cause lactic acidosis.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
As it is used as an antidiabetic agent, one should avoid sugar sweetened beverages, honey, flavoured coffee drinks, rried fruits, etc.
Can I have Formet when pregnant?
Formet does not cause any harm to the foetus during pregnancy or it doesn’t cause any birth complications. Although you can take advise from your doctor.
Can I have Formet when feeding a baby?
Although small amounts of Formet passes through the breastmilk, it is not reported that it can cause any adverse effect on the baby. Consult your doctor for better advice.
Can I drive after taking Formet?
Taking Formet alone doesn’t affect your driving. If you are taking it with other diabetic medications, it may lower the blood glucose level which results in fainting.
What happens if I overdose on Formet?
It would cause lactic acidosis with minor symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Sometimes it may lead to coma.
What happens if I eat expired Formet?
It will not be effective to regulate the blood sugar level which can be a life threatening situation.
What happens if I miss a dose of Formet?
If you miss a dose of Formet take it as soon as you remember it. If it is already time for the next dose leave it as it would create double dosage effect.
When was Formet made?
Formet was made in the 1970’s.