Table of Contents
- What is Fosamax?
- Uses of Fosamax:
- How does Fosamax work?
- Price of Fosamax In India
- How to Take Fosamax?
- Common Dosage for Fosamax:
- When to avoid Fosamax and precautions to take?
- Side effects of Fosamax?
- Effects of Fosamax on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Storage of Fosamax
- Pro Tips When Taking Fosamax:
- FAQs – Things to Know About Fosamax
- Is Fosamax Addictive?
- Can I have Fosamax with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Fosamax when Pregnant?
- Can I have Fosamax when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Fosamax?
- What happens if I overdose on Fosamax?
- What happens if I eat expired Fosamax?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Fosamax?
Fosamax Composition – Alendronate 35 MG
Manufactured By – Kaiser Permanente
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 53.36
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What is Fosamax?
- Fosamax is used for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis (bone disease which causes bones to become thinner and fracture easily) and Paget’s disease.
- The active ingredient of Fosamax is “Alendronate” which belongs to Bisphosphonate group of drugs and is available in tablet and solution form for oral administration.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds Offers | Medlife Offers
Uses of Fosamax:
- Treatment of osteoporosis in women following menopause and in women
- Prevention of osteoporosis by increasing bone mass
- Glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis in men and women
- Paget’s disease of bone
Also Read: Incruse Ellipta Uses
How does Fosamax work?
- Fosamax reduces the activity of osteoclastic cells (cells which help in bone resorption) and does not affect osteoblastic cells (cells which help in bone formation) to that extent thereby bone formation exceeds bone resorption leading to progressive bone mass gain.
Price of Fosamax In India
|A packet of 4 Tablets||Rs. 600.00/ Pack|
Also Read: Gamma Benzene Hexachloride Price
How to Take Fosamax?
- Fosamax should be administered on an empty stomach before the first meal of the day. Do not take this medicine at bed time.
- Tablet should be swallowed as a whole without breaking or chewing it along with plenty of plain water.
- Use the medicine as advised. Take the tablet while standing or sitting. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes following administering of Fosamax tablet.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes (preferably 1 hour) before you eat or drink anything other than plain water.
Common Dosage for Fosamax:
- The recommended dose of Fosamax is postmenopausal women and men suffering from osteoporosis and is one 70mg tablet once weekly or one bottle of 70ml solution once weekly or one 10mg tablet once daily.
- Dose for prevention of osteoporosis in women is one 35mg tablet once weekly or one 5mg tablet once daily.
- Patients with Paget’s disease: one 40mg tablet once a day for 6 months.
- Patients with glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis: one 5mg tablet once daily in men and women. For postmenopausal women not receiving estrogen, the recommended dose is one 10mg tablet once daily.
Also Read: Ifosfamide Dosage
When to avoid Fosamax and precautions to take?
Fosamax should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
Also Read: Harvoni Precaution
Side effects of Fosamax?
- Fosamax may produce multiple side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- Hot flushes
- Joint pain
- Increased sweating
- Problem in sleeping
- Increased appetite
- Bone pain
- Swelling in hands and feet
Effects of Fosamax on organs?
Fosamax can decrease the bone mineral density when used for longer duration which may increase the risk of developing osteoporosis in post menopausal women.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Allergy with Fosamax may exhibit following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Drug interactions refer to effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other.
- It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Fosamax. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
Shows Effects / Results after consuming Fosamax :
The time required by Fosamax to show its desired effect varies from person to person. It should be taken for up to 5 years for maximum effect.
Storage of Fosamax
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Fosamax:
- Fosamax should never be used for women in pre-menopausal phase.
- As Fosamax decreases the level of estrogen in the body, this may lead to reduction of bone mineral density and thus osteoporosis in women.
- Fosamax should never be administered alongside hormonal replacement therapy (as it contains estrogen).
FAQs – Things to Know About Fosamax
Is Fosamax Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Fosamax with alcohol?
Interaction of Fosamax with alcohol is unknown.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction observed with food products.
Can I have Fosamax when Pregnant?
Fosamax is contraindicated in pregnant women or women in child bearing age. It is only indicated for treatment in post menopausal age group.
Can I have Fosamax when feeding a baby?
Fosamax is only indicated for treatment in post menopausal age group.
Can I drive after taking Fosamax?
Fosamax does not usually affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Fosamax?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose or frequency.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency can cause serious adverse effects like convulsions.
What happens if I eat expired Fosamax?
- The medicine may not work as well as the potency of the medicines decreases and also it may lead to some adverse effects.
- To be on the safer side, always check and discard the expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Fosamax?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.