Table of Contents
- What is Fourderm?
- Uses of Fourderm
- How does Fourderm work?
- How to use Fourderm?
- Common Dosage for Fourderm
- When to Avoid Fourderm?
- Precautions While using Fourderm
- Side-Effects of Fourderm
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Fourderm Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Fourderm
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Fourderm
- Authored By –
What is Fourderm?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like Psoriasis and fungal and bacterial skin infection. Burning sensation and itching are the major side effects of Fourderm. It should be totally avoided in the case of infants and allergic reactions.
Fourderm Composition – Chlorhexidine gluconate + Clobetasol + Miconazole + Neomycin
Manufactured by – Cipla
Prescription – To be sold by prescription only but it is available as OTC.
Form – Cream
Price – Rs 47 for 5 mg tube.
Expiry/Shelf Life – 2 years from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug – antifungal, antiseptic, antibiotic and steroid.
Uses of Fourderm
Fourderm is used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Wound: Used in cases of wound healing, as it protects the wound from infection and promotes wound healing.
- Bacterial skin infections: Used in cases of bacterial infection as it is bactericidal in nature.
- Psoriasis: Used in cases like Psoriasis to provide transient relief.
- Fungal Skin Infections: Used in cases of fungal infections of the skin.
- Minor scalds: Used in the cases of minor skin damage.
- Itching/ redness of skin: Used in cases of red and itchy skin.
How does Fourderm work?
- Fourderm is basically a composition of four different class of drugs namely: Chlorhexidine gluconate, Clobetasol, Miconazole, Neomycin.
- Chlorhexidine gluconate acts as antiseptic and disinfectant and prevents the growth of microorganisms.
- Clobetasol is corticosteroid and it acts by lowering the inflammatory signs like redness, swelling, pain etc.
- Miconazole is antifungal and inhibits fungal growth.
- Neomycin is bactericidal in nature and it kills the bacterias.
How to use Fourderm?
- Fourderm is usually available in the Cream form.
- Gently wash the affected area before application, wash and dry your hands properly before applying Fourderm.
- Apply a thin layer of the cream over the affected area and gently massage it for few seconds and let it be there on the skin for some time to have desired results.
- Wash hands immediately after applying the cream.
- Avoid using the cream in eyes, ears or nose as it is for external use only.
- Fourderm should not be applied in genital areas as the skin of genital area is extra sensitive.
- Avoid excess of cream use as it may cause undesirable effects.
- It is advisable for the patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of how to handle the drug.
Common Dosage for Fourderm
- Fourderm usage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient and Condition being treated.
- The common usage of Fourderm is 2 times a day over the affected area after properly cleaning the area.
- It is advisable to consult with a dermatologist or paediatrician before application of Fourderm in children as it is not safe for children.
- Only a thin layer is to be applied to the affected area.
Q. What happens if I overuse Fourderm?
Fourderm usage should be followed strictly as per the prescription by the doctor.
Prolonged and overuse of Fourderm can cause symptoms like dry skin and skin irritation. In such cases, immediate medical help should be taken to avoid undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I miss an application of Fourderm?
Fourderm should always be applied as prescribed by the doctor and in case of missed application, always try to apply it as soon as you remember. But, avoid overusing it.
Q. What happens if I use expired Fourderm?
Expired Fourderm may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid using the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after using the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Fourderm and till when does the effect of Fourderm stay?
- Onset time of action for Fourderm can vary as per the condition being treated.
- Fourderm starts to exhibit results within a week of regular use.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
When to Avoid Fourderm?
Do not use Fourderm if:
- Genital areas: Fourderm should not be used in genital areas as it is to be used in external areas only.
- Allergy/Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Fourderm or any of its ingredients.
- Underage: It should not be used in infants and children.
Precautions While using Fourderm
- Allergic Reaction: Always seek medical help immediately in case of an allergic reaction, it occurs after using Fourderm.
- Avoid eye contact: Always apply the drug on the outer areas and avoid contact with the eye and if occurs, wash the face with fresh water thoroughly.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two applications to avoid drug over usage, at least 5-10 minutes between two doses.
Warnings When using Fourderm
- Concomitant use of any other topical drug should be delayed for at least 5-10 minutes while using Fourderm.
- Usage alteration without medical advice is not recommended.
- Fourderm should not be administered in children unless specified by the Paediatrician.
Also Read: Gemcal Dosage | Glimepiride Dosage | Glycomet GP2 Dosage
Side-Effects of Fourderm
The side effects associated with Fourderm are:
- Rashes – less common
- Burning sensation or skin irritation. – common
- Redness or swelling at the application site. – less common
- Skin peeling – rare
- Itchiness of skin. – less common
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Fourderm?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Fourderm are:
- Rashes – less common
- Breathlessness – less common
- Itching – Common
What are the effects of Fourderm on organs?
No as such effect of Fourderm is seen on any organ.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Fourderm. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Fourderm. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Fourderm
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Fourderm
Since Fourderm is a topical drug, no other drugs have reactions with it unless any other topical drug is being used in the same area of application. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently using. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
3. Effects of Fourderm on Lab Tests
Fourderm doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Fourderm’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients with allergic reactions.
Q. Can I have alcohol with Fourderm?
Interaction of Fourderm with alcohol is not known. Therefore, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Fourderm.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I use Fourderm when pregnant?
No, Fourderm should not be used during pregnancy as it is not considered safe for use in pregnant women. Always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I use Fourderm when feeding a baby?
Yes, Fourderm is safe to be used for lactating mothers but avoid contacting the child with the drug and also avoid Fourderm application on breasts. Always notify the doctor in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Fourderm?
Yes, Fourderm has no effect on driving.
Buyer’s Guide – Fourderm Composition, Variant and Price
|Fourderm Variants||Fourderm Composition||Fourderm Price|
|Fourderm 5 mg Cream||Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.20%w/w + Clobetasol propionate 0.05% w/w + Micanazole 2% w/w + Neomycin 0.5% w/w||Rs. 47 for 1 pack|
|Fourderm 10 mg Cream||Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.20%w/w + Clobetasol propionate 0.05% w/w + Micanazole 2% w/w + Neomycin 0.5% w/w||Rs. 97.50 for 1 pack|
|Fourderm 15 mg Cream||Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.20%w/w + Clobetasol propionate 0.05% w/w + Micanazole 2% w/w + Neomycin 0.5% w/w||Rs. 108.5 for 1 pack|
|Fourderm Plus 15 mg Cream||Rs. 49.50 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo
Substitutes of Fourderm
The following are alternative drugs for Fourderm:
- Tinaderm Cream:
- Manufactured by – Unipharma Pharmaceutical Industries.
- Price – Rs. 47.53
- Tinavate Cream:
- Manufactured by – Dabur India Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 11.9
- Tolsol Lotion:
- Manufactured by – Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Storage requirements for Fourderm
- Fourderm drug should be stored at a moisture free, dry place at a temperature below 25O C.
- Avoid freezing the drug
- The drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Fourderm
Q. What is Fourderm?
Ans. Fourderm is a topically used drug, a combination of steroid and antifungal drug.
Fourderm is effective against fungal skin infections.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Fourderm to show results?
Ans. Fourderm shows its effect within the first week of application but one should continue the application unless asked to stop by the doctor.
Q. Does Fourderm make you drowsy?
Ans. Fourderm generally doesn’t cause drowsiness.
Q. What should be the time gap between the two applications of Fourderm?
Ans. An Ideal time gap of at least 5-10 minutes should be there between two applications. However, one should never overuse Fourderm applications.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Fourderm should be used strictly as per the doctor’s advice. Withdrawal of Fourderm in between can lead to the recurrence of symptoms.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Fourderm.
Q. Does Fourderm effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Fourderm generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle as it for topical application only but always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before using the drug
Q. Is Fourderm safe for children?
Ans. Always consult the Paediatrician before applying Fourderm to children as a precautionary
the measure, as children’s skin, is more sensitive as compared to adults.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before using Fourderm?
Ans. Any allergic history with Fourderm with symptoms like rashes, itching or burning sensation or same class of drugs, are to be taken into consideration before using Fourderm.
Q. Is Fourderm legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.