Gabantin Composition – Gabapentin 100 MG
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Capsule
Price – Rs 63
Quantity – 10 capsules in 1 strip
What Is Gabantin?
Gabantin is an anti-epileptic medicine used as an adjunct to treat seizures. Gabantin is also used for treating peripheral neuropathic pains (nerve pains like postherpetic neuralgia)
Manufactured By – Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1mg offers | Pharmeasy offers | Practo offers
Uses Of Gabantin
Gabantin is used in the treatment of:
- Epilepsy – mainly focal seizures, partial seizures, and mixed seizures
- Neuropathic pains – diabetic neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia (shingles)
- Restless leg syndrome
Read More: Lokit uses | Hepatoglobine Uses | Imol uses
Gabantin contains “gabapentine” as its active ingredient.
How Does Gabantin Work?
- Gabapentin inhibits the action of two main enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitter GABA namely glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) and branched chain aminotransferase (BCAT).
- Gabapentin also binds to the α2δ-1 subunit of voltage-gated calcium ion channels, due to which it shows pain attenuation effects in diabetic neuropathy and post-herpetic neuralgia.
Gabantin Price in India
|10 capsules of 300mg||Rs. 160|
|10 capsules of 100mg||Rs. 63|
|10 capsules of 400mg||Rs. 170|
|10 tablets of forte||Rs. 160|
|10 tablets of plus||Rs. 84|
How to Take Gabantin?
- Available in capsule form, it can be administered with or without food as food has little effect on the absorption of Gabapentin.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- In order to get the maximum benefit, the drug should be administered regularly as the amount of medicine should remain constant in the body for the drug to work properly.
- Do not stop using Gabantin without consulting a doctor.
Common Dosage Of Gabantin
- Small doses of Gabantin are given initially and the doses are gradually increased over time as per doctor’s prescription.
- Adult dose of immediate release form may range from 300 to 600mg per day.
- Adult dose of extended-release form may range from 300mg or more, up to a maximum of 1800mg per day.
- Dosage adjustments are required in case of children and patients with renal impairments.
Also Read: Glynase Dosage | Gefitinib Dosage | Duofilm Dosage
When to Avoid Gabantin & Precautions To Take?
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Use with caution in case the patient is suffering from depression as Gabantin may induce suicidal tendencies.
- Pregnant and lactating females
- Patients with kidney disease
- Avoid abrupt withdrawal of Gabantin, the doses should only be tapered slowly as per doctor’s advice.
Side Effects Of Gabantin
Common side effects of Gabantin include-
- Ataxia (impaired balance or coordination)
- Peripheral edema (swelling of extremities)
- Nystagmus(involuntary eye movement)
Other less common side effects include-
- Abnormal vision (blurred vision)
- Weight gain
- Loss of appetite
Gabantin may also produce sexual dysfunction in some patients.
What Are The Effects of Gabantin on Organs?
- Gabantin may induce suicidal tendencies, dizziness, fatigue, and sedation due to its effect on CNS.
- Gabantin may worsen renal impairment.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Hypersensitivity reaction may be seen in some patients. In such cases, immediate medical attention is required and further use of this drug should be discontinued.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Gabantin shows interaction with the following drugs –
- Muscle relaxant
Shows Effects/Results In
The onset of action can be seen within 2 to 3 hours. However, a complete dose prescribed by your doctor must be taken for a complete cessation of symptoms from your body.
Storage Requirements for Gabantin
- Store at room temperature, away from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Gabantin
This medicine should not be stopped without a doctor’s consent. Even if it has to stop, it should be stopped gradually and not suddenly as this may increase the risk of adverse effects like seizures.
Is Gabantin addictive?
No, Gabantin is not addictive.
Can I have Gabantin with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Gabantin therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation.
Any particular food item to be avoided
Can I have Gabantin when pregnant?
Gabantin is not recommended during pregnancy unless the benefits outweigh the potentially harmful effects.
Can I have Gabantin when feeding a baby?
Gabantin is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus.
Can I drive after taking Gabantin?
Gabantin intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness, vertigo, blurred vision etc. Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Gabantin?
Immediate medical attention is required upon overdosing of Gabantin As it may lead to adverse effects like dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech and loss of consciousness.
What happens if I eat expired Gabantin?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired Gabantin however if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Gabantin?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose.