Table of Contents
- 1 What is Ganaton?
- 2 Uses of Ganaton
- 2.1 How does Ganaton work?
- 2.2 How to take Ganaton?
- 2.3 Common Dosage of Ganaton
- 2.4 Q. What happens if I overdose on Ganaton?
- 2.5 Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ganaton?
- 2.6 Q. What happens if I eat expired Ganaton?
- 2.7 Q. What is the Onset time of Ganaton?
- 2.8 Q. Till when does the effect of Ganaton stays?
- 2.9 When to Avoid Ganaton?
- 3 Precautions While Taking Ganaton:
- 4 Side-Effects of Ganaton:
- 5 Drug Interactions With Ganaton to be Careful About
- 5.1 1. Food Interactions with Ganaton
- 5.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Ganaton
- 5.3 3. Effects of Ganaton on Lab Tests
- 5.4 4. Ganaton ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 5.5 Q. Can I have Ganaton with alcohol?
- 5.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 5.7 Q. Can I have Ganaton when pregnant?
- 5.8 Q. Can I have Ganaton when feeding a baby?
- 5.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Ganaton?
- 5.10 Ganaton Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- 6 Substitutes of Ganaton
- 7 FAQs – 10 Questions Questions Answered about Ganaton
- 7.1 Q. What is Ganaton?
- 7.2 Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ganaton to show results?
- 7.3 Q. Should Ganaton be taken on an empty stomach?
- 7.4 Q. Does Ganaton make you drowsy?
- 7.5 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ganaton doses?
- 7.6 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 7.7 Q. Does Ganaton effect my menstrual cycle?
- 7.8 Q. Is Ganaton safe for children?
- 7.9 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ganaton?
- 7.10 Q. Is Ganaton legal in India?
- 8 Authored By –
What is Ganaton?
Ganaton is used mainly to treat the gastrointestinal conditions or related symptoms like nausea, vomiting and gastric fullness or gastric pain. It should not be used in the cases of patients with gastrointestinal hemorrhage, obstruction or intestinal perforation and in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Leucopenia (reduction in white blood cells count) is the major side effect of Ganaton and can be a life threatening situation.
Ganaton Composition: Itopride 50 mg
Manufactured By: Abbott
Form: Tablet and capsule.
Price: Rs 114.35 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 36 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antiemetic, D2 receptor (dopamine) antagonist.
Uses of Ganaton
Ganaton is used for the treatment of following conditions:
- Gastroparesis: Used to treat gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying).
- Regurgitation: Used in cases of regurgitation (backward flow of ingested food in the mouth).
- Early satiety: Used in the cases where patients feel full without eat the required amount of food.
- Heartburn: Used to treat conditions like heartburn or acidity as it neutralizes the acid content
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Anorexia: Used to treat cases of anorexia in which the appetite is reduced from the usual.
- Bloating: Used in cases of bloating.
- Upper Abdominal pain: Used in cases of upper abdominal pain caused by gas formation in the stomach.
- Functional dyspepsia: Used in cases of functional dyspepsia.
How does Ganaton work?
- Ganaton contains Itopride as its active ingredient.
- Itopride is a dopamine (D2 receptor) antagonist and acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
- Itopride works by activating gastrointestinal motility and thus helps in gastric emptying.
- Itopride also increases acetylcholine concentration by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase which further adds to gastric peristalsis.
- Thus, Ganaton helps to improve gastric motility, gastric emptying and gastro-duodenal coordination.
How to take Ganaton?
- Ganaton is available in the tablet and capsule form.
- Ganaton tablet or capsule is usually consumed via mouth with a glass of water preferably one hour before meals for best results.
- The tablet or capsule should never be chewed or crushed but should be consumed as a whole.
- It is always advisable to read the leaflet present in the pack thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Also Read: Envas Uses | Etophylline Uses | Formet Uses
Common Dosage of Ganaton
- Ganaton dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common adult dose of Ganaton tablet is a 150mg per day (single 50 mg tablet thrice a day 1 hour before meals).
- The pediatrician should be consulted before administering or prescribing the medicine to children below 16 years of age as the safety of this drug has not been established yet in this age group.
- Geriatric population is at greater risk of developing hepatic and renal dysfunction. Therefore, extra caution is advised while administering the drug.
- Dose alteration without consultation should be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Ganaton?
Always adhere to the prescribed dose of the drug and in cases of overdose immediate medical help should be taken. Gastric lavage and therapy is the best possible treatment for Ganaton overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Ganaton?
Always try to consume the dose as per the prescription and in case of a missed dose, try to consume it as soon as you remember but do not double the dose and if it is already time for the next dose, avoid consuming the missed dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Ganaton?
Expired Ganaton might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects as its potency may be lost. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug and always check the expiration date before consuming the drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Ganaton?
The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
Q. Till when does the effect of Ganaton stays?
The usual time taken by the drug to reach its peak level of concentration is 1-2 hours.
When to Avoid Ganaton?
Do not Consume Ganaton if:
- Allergy: In cases of the known history of hypersensitivity/allergy to Ganaton or any similar active ingredients or Benzamides.
- GI hemorrhage: In cases where gastric motility stimulation can prove to be fatal E.g. Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage.
- Obstruction: In cases of gastrointestinal obstruction or perforation.
- Parkinson’s disease: In cases of patients with Parkinson’s disease.
Precautions While Taking Ganaton:
- Prolonged use: Chronic use of Ganaton for routine prophylaxis of nausea and vomiting should be avoided
- Geriatric and Pediatric population: Extra caution should be used while administering the drug to geriatric or pediatric population.
- Lactation: Avoid the use of this drug in lactating mothers as it can harm the baby.
- Pregnancy: Do not use this drug in pregnancy as its safety in pregnant women has not been established yet.
Warnings When Taking Ganaton
- Ganaton may produce cholinergic side effects.
- Prolonged use should be avoided.
- Equally spaced time interval should be there between two doses.
Also Read: Fruselac Side Effect | Gabaneuron Side Effect
Side-Effects of Ganaton:
The side effects associated with Ganaton are:
- Nausea (common)
- Jaundice (less common)
- Skin rash (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Headache (common)
- Tremor (less common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Increased salivation (common)
- Gynaecomastia (less common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Ganaton?
- In case of any allergic signs like Skin rashes
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Ganaton on organs?
- Ganaton is metabolized and excreted mainly from liver and kidneys respectively.
- Therefore, Ganaton should be used with caution or with altered dose in cases of patients with liver and kidney impairment as it can worsen the condition in such cases.
Drug Interactions With Ganaton to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Ganaton. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Ganaton. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Ganaton
Grapefruit juice or grapefruit food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Ganaton
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Anti ulcer drugs like cimetidine, ranitidine and cetraxate (mild)
- Anticholinergic drugs reduces the action of Ganaton (moderate)
3. Effects of Ganaton on Lab Tests
Ganaton can affect SGPT, SGOT (liver enzymes) levels and causes increased alkaline phosphatase, increased bilirubin and decreased white blood cells count.
4. Ganaton ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver diseases, gastrointestinal obstruction and Parkinson’s disease.
Q. Can I have Ganaton with alcohol?
No, as Ganaton when taken with alcohol can cause increase risk of side effects. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Ganaton.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit juice should be avoided while consuming the drug.
Q. Can I have Ganaton when pregnant?
No, Ganaton in pregnant women should not be used unless necessary and always the doctor should be informed about such cases.
Q. Can I have Ganaton when feeding a baby?
Ganaton is excreted in human milk and the effect on the infant is not known. Therefore the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Ganaton?
Ganaton can cause dizziness in some cases and in such cases, driving or operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
Ganaton Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Ganaton OD 150mg Capsule||Itopride 150mg||Rs. 313.36 for 10 capsules|
|Ganaton Total Capsule||Pantoprazole 40mg + Itopride 150mg||Rs. 349.64 for 10 capsules|
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: 1Mg | Medlife Discount Coupon
Substitutes of Ganaton
The following are alternative drugs for Ganaton:
- Itodom 50mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – East West Pharma
- Price – Rs. 59
- Iforab Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 128.40
- Itcan 50mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Genix Pharma
- Price – Rs. 49
- Itoprid 50mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla
- Price – Rs. 141
Storage requirements for Ganaton
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture free place away from direct heat and light at temperature between 15-30OC
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 10 Questions Questions Answered about Ganaton
Q. What is Ganaton?
Ans. Ganaton is a single constituent drug that contains Itopride as its main active ingredient which belongs to the class of anti emetics and D2 receptor antagonist.
Ganaton is used to treat conditions like nausea, vomiting, heartburn and delayed stomach emptying.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Ganaton to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated; usually Ganaton shows its effect within 1-2 hours of oral administration.
Q. Should Ganaton be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Ganaton should be taken empty stomach (1 hour before meals) for best results and better drug absorption.
Q. Does Ganaton make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Ganaton may cause Drowsiness/ Dizziness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Ganaton doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Ganaton should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Ganaton.
Q. Does Ganaton effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Ganaton safe for children?
Ans. Ganaton has not been tested in children below 16 years of age for safety. Therefore, it is not advisable to administer the drug in children. Always take proper consultation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Ganaton?
Ans. Any liver disorder, pregnancy or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Ganaton.
Q. Is Ganaton legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Also read about other medicine's: Gaviscon | Gemer | Glibenclamide
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
Authored By –