Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Ganciclovir?
- 2 Uses Of Ganciclovir
- 3 How Does Ganciclovir Work?
- 4 How to Take Ganciclovir?
- 5 Common Dosage Of Ganciclovir
- 6 When to Avoid Ganciclovir & Precautions To Take?
- 7 Side Effects Of Ganciclovir
- 8 Effect on Organs?
- 9 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 10 Drug Interactions to be careful about?
- 11 Shows Effects/Results In
- 12 Storage Requirements for Ganciclovir
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Ganciclovir
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions
- 15 Is Ganciclovir addictive?
- 16 Can I have Ganciclovir with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Ganciclovir when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Ganciclovir when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Ganciclovir?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Ganciclovir?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Ganciclovir?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Ganciclovir?
What Is Ganciclovir?
Ganciclovir is an antiviral drug used to treat cytomegalovirus (CMV) infections.
Manufactured By – Sunways India Pvt Ltd
Uses Of Ganciclovir
Ganciclovir is used in treating following viral infections –
- Cytomegalovirus Retinitis (CMV)
- Cytomegalovirus Prophylaxis
- Acute herpetic keratitis
How Does Ganciclovir Work?
Ganciclovir inhibits viral DNA polymerases, thus inhibiting further growth of virus.
How to Take Ganciclovir?
- Ganciclovir tablets are meant to be taken orally, with or without food.
- Ganciclovir injections are to be administered intravenously, by a healthcare professional.
- Take the complete course of antiviral medication to ensure complete recovery.
Common Dosage Of Ganciclovir
- The dosage of Ganciclovir varies depending upon several factors.
- Take the dose as prescribed by your doctor.
When to Avoid Ganciclovir & Precautions To Take?
- Use with caution in patients with a known history of blood disorders and bone marrow suppression.
- Use with caution in patients with severe kidney impairment.
- Use withcl caution in patients with a history of seizure disorders.
Side Effects Of Ganciclovir
Common side effects of Ganciclovir include-
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal and stomach pain
- Nausea and Vomiting
Effect on Organs?
- Ganciclovir may impair renal functions.
- Ganciclovir may impair fertility in both men and women.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, fever etc. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Ganciclovir interacts with the following drugs –
- Amphotericin B
Shows Effects/Results In
The time required for onset of action and duration of effect of Ganciclovir is not clinically established.
Storage Requirements for Ganciclovir
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Ganciclovir
- Make sure to complete the course of medication with Ganciclovir as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not take the medicine at a dose higher or lower than that prescribed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Ganciclovir addictive?
Can I have Ganciclovir with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ganciclovir when pregnant?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I have Ganciclovir when feeding a baby?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I drive after taking Ganciclovir?
What happens if I overdose on Ganciclovir?
Seek medical attention upon overdosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Ganciclovir?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ganciclovir?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose.