Skip to Content
Garlic is a major ingredient in the kitchens of all over the world, but this spice also has a lot of health benefits. If you are suffering from the problem of High Blood Pressure or hypertension then garlic is your go-to medicine. Human studies have found that the intake of raw garlic or garlic supplements have a significant impact on reducing blood pressure.
As said by the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, often called the father of Western medicine “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.”
Properties of Garlic
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
Benefits of Garlic for Blood Pressure
1. Helps in Relaxing Blood Vessels
Garlic contains Allicin which helps to relax the blood vessels in the case of an increase in Blood Pressure.
2. Resists Platelet Aggregation
The properties in garlic help to resist platelet aggregation and also fights conditions like thrombosis.
3. Reduces Stress Levels
Garlic is a natural herbal ingredient which has medicinal properties which help in reducing the stress levels.
4. Reduces the Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases
High blood pressure or hypertension is the major cause of heart attacks and strokes. A study has recently revealed that garlic is as effective as the drug Atenolol which helps in reducing blood pressure.
5. Improves Cholesterol Levels
Garlic has properties which can lower the total and LDL cholesterol in the human body. It is said that garlic can reduce the total cholesterol level by 10-15% which helps in reducing the risks of heart diseases.
Ways To Use Garlic (Our Expert Tips)
- Cook food with garlic that is the best way to add it to your diet. It will add up flavours as well as be beneficial for your health.
- Eat 1 to ½ cloves of raw garlic every day to your diet.
- Swallow dried garlic capsules or supplements.
Note: Consult a Doctor before the consumption of Garlic or garlic supplements.
Side Effects of Garlic
- Asthma patients should avoid consuming garlic as it may cause some side-effects
- Garlic should be avoided before surgeries or medical operations
- A high intake may cause irritation in the digestive functioning